Can you trust an atheist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Why?, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I can see what you mean but I believe many people actually don't want the honest answer (this especially seems to be the case with women but that's another discussion

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Friends and lovers of mine learn quickly to not ask a question you do not want the answer to.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The fact that "they learn quickly" suggest they didn't want the honest answer. They adapted to your philosophy (which is in a way admirable, the philosophy i mean).
    My experience is that people don't want the honest answer and I adapted to that, white lies etc. But when they say "I want your honest answer" I will give it to them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I refuse to.

Perhaps I am just more stubborn and anti-social than you.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So if a kid brings a scrawl to you and asks you,how is my drawing, what would you say?

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't say that, although it can be perceived as such by people that don't know you.
    Would you agree that most people do use white lies ? If you do, does that mean society just works like that ?

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Specifically what I would say depends on the kid, the age, the scrawl and any other number of factors.
    I would be honest.

If my 5 year old nephew draws a picture and I can tell that it is even me, then I honestly would be impressed - that's more than I could do at his age - and I would encourage him.
    I would say, "That's ME!" and I would ask him to draw me another one.

If it looks like shit, and I know he can do better, I would tell him that the one he drew last week was much better, and tell him why I thought it was better.

Why, whenever the subject of honesty comes up, do you feel the need to test me with scenarios and such?

Do you think I am lying about my honesty, and want to catch me out there?
    Do you have a feeling of inadequacy, so you feel like you need to bring me down to your level?
    I don't understand.

Most do, yes.
    I don't think it means that society works like that.
    I think it means that we have created this facet of society, but it is not necessary.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No just to clarify how you would deal with such situations. After all, if you've arrived at a conclusion regarding yourself, you must have some idea of what such situations would entail.

Now, is there any reason you thought I was testing you?

And why did you associate it with a sense of inadequacy on my part?

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I see.

Yes.
    The fact that you disagree with me, and that you seem to come up with, "OH yeah? Well what if THIS happens, what will you do THEN, smarty?" every time this comes up.

I didn't.
    I wondered if YOU did.
    It's OK if you do.
    A lot of people have feelings of inadequacy around me.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Did I disagree with you in that post?
    I understand *pats on head* I have the same problem.

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You have in the past.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you bear grudges?

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Not at all.
    Just noticing.

Am I complaining?

If you forget, women accuse you of not paying enough attention.
    If you remember, they accuse you of bearing grudges.
    No wonder it took me 35 years to finally get married!

It seems to me that if you have argued with me regarding this, either you do actually disagree, and think that white lies are good policy, or you feel insecure about your lies and someone who does not lie confronting you about it makes you feel inadequate and you look for a chink to prove to yourself that they are as imperfect as you are - you try to bring them down to your level.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm, interesting viewpoints; all of them, in some way or another, defensive and/or transparent attempts at appearing self effacing. :scratchin:

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You would be a horrible shrink.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Tell me all about it.

20. Atom Registered Senior Member

I always like that question.

Its something I abhor...I dont bear grudges...If I am badly let down then I cut the knot totally..and despite all the pleading and all the olive leaves its really too late.

Now I mean SERIOUS stuff.

On a petty level EVERYONE says...and this is one of my few good points...I can name all my flaws if you wnt because this sounds as if I am patting myself on the back...well I can do the reverse as well if you wish...but everyone says of me..

you never bear grudges...you shout abuse at people and then the nect minute your laughing with them...its something to do with the way i was brought up and the place.

Salford and Manchester are vair odd places....almost seperate from England...I know hardly ANYONE who goes around with a St George Cross or a Union Jack....we barely bother when the English are playing sport..unless a Manchester player is on.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Billy ? :scratchin:

22. Why? Registered Senior Member

One Raven. Jesus said: "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell." Matthew 5:28. Here is the quote I was thinking of. Jesus is saying you can sin by looking lustfully at a married woman. And then he says it is better to cut your eye out and throw it away, then to go to hell. Obviously, Jesus is implying that sin (not just sin against the Holy Spirit) can land you in Hell. Also, Jesus is saying you can avoid hell, even if you desire to sin, by cutting your eye out. In other words, stop looking at married women! Avoid temptation. Thus, a fear of punishment can lead to forgiveness of sins if that fear leads you to avoid further temptations. You do not have to obliterate your desire to sin - only the temptations to sin.

23. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Or maybe it was literal maybe we should cut out our brains so as not to think about sin.