Careers advice---- believe me, advice is needed!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Dido, Feb 7, 2000.

1. Dido Registered Senior Member

Does anyone have a clue what is the best method of getting into astronautical engineering?

Would aeronautical engineering be a viable path to follow, then leading on to astronautics?

Or is theoretical physics the way to go?

Help, please.

Thanks for your time.

------------------
    'What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.' - Nietzsche (I think??).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dido Registered Senior Member

I'm not dumb.....I've got a really crap careers advisor in school.

------------------
    'What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.' - Nietzsche (I think??).

[This message has been edited by Dido (edited February 07, 2000).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. FyreStar Faithless since 1980 Registered Senior Member

Dido -
    In many cases, college tend to unify aero- and astronautical engineering under one major.. usually aeronautical. Try running searches for ratings on colleges, some will give a breakdown by field, and you'll be able to see which colleges have the best aeronautical engineering programs in relation to each other (For example, the University of Michigan has an outstanding one). If you still aren't sure, find some respectable schools, and send email to some of their advisors asking for specifics. Another good route towards astronautical engineering is the Air Force, just be sure to know what you're getting yourself into.

As far as theoretical physics or even astrophysics goes, it would be quite a track change to go from them to engineering.. They really are seperate disciplines. I suppose what you would need to decide is whether you want to develop the theories behind the machines, or actually design and build the machines(although there are certainly other options if you choose a scientific path).

If you'd like any more information, let me know.. I'm a student at the aforementioned college and have recently made the same decision you appear to be making. At the very least, I could tell you some specifics on the programs here at Michigan. Hope this helps.

LL&P,
    FyreStar

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tony H2o Registered Senior Member

Dido,

My suggestion is to try Starfleet Command, Spok will tell you how to contact them.

Kirk out.

8. Dido Registered Senior Member

Ha, ha H20.

Thx Fyrestar, however I'm from N Ireland and therefore Michigan is a little on the 'not so feasible side', as is USAAF. By thx very much for the advice.

I really like the idea of Aeronautics and particularly Astronautics. I don't have one of the requirements, Physics. However I have Maths which is perhaps the integral component of the course. I'm a straight A student(not boasting or broadcasting)and I impressed the professors on a work experience week by having knowledge of the Airbus 'Fly-by-wire' system. So they seem interested in allowing me to enter the course without meeting the requirements, first time it would happen apparently.

There really isn't a huge aeronauctical sector here. I'd love to get in Formula One or ESA or Airbus on continental Europe, I know some people who have.

Are you interested in getting into Boeing or Nasa?

Perhaps I'll do a computing course and get really rich instead, and lose all my technological idealism. Ireland's computer industry, at it's current rate could well take over from the US as world leader, its already number 2 in software export. Look out!! HeeHee.

By the way, Airbus kicks Boeing ass every single time ";"")" Damn thing probably won't even work.

------------------
    Resistance is futile.

**Sorry about the Star Trek fanatical cliches--- the Borg, don't you just love them**

9. Tony H2o Registered Senior Member

Hey Irish,

Good to see ya got a sense of humor, I was basically going to rattle off the same stuff that Fyrestar did but she beat me to it.

With the face thing you tried ";")" or something like that try this instead.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

= ; ) without a space or the other things whatever the heck their called again. Alternatively (and please excuse my rush spelling) at the top of the post is an edit command click on that button and you will see exactly what was typed. (A trick Boris taught me).

Take care - H2o

10. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Hey, Dido. Try asking NASA directly. Here's a link to their Space Science newsletter. Send a question to them asking what you want to know. They've been really good about answering.
    http://spacescience.com/headlines/y2000/ast03feb_1.htm

This will take you to a news story, but you should find a way to contact them there.