Cartoons - bad for your health?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by GeoffP, Feb 1, 2006.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Seems a lot of people in Palestine and are getting mighty pissed about the depiction of Mohammed in Danish cartoons:

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...-RELIGION-DENMARK-CARTOONS.xml&archived=False

Gazans burn Danish flags, demand cartoon apology

Nidal al-Mughrabi
    GAZA (Reuters) - Thousands of Palestinians protested against Denmark on Tuesday for allowing cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad to be published, and Arab ministers called on the Copenhagen government to punish the newspaper that printed them.

Demonstrators burned Danish flags, chanted "War on Denmark, Death to Denmark" and called for an Arab boycott of products from the small north European country until it showed contrition for the satirical caricatures deemed blasphemous by Islam.

Anger has spread across much of the Muslim world.

Arab interior ministers called for retribution.

Retribution? I wonder what they mean by that. :bugeye:

Wait - here it is:

Danish Muslims Accept Cartoon Apology

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - A Danish Muslim group Tuesday accepted an apology from a newspaper that published offensive cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad but said later that it had decided the statement was ambiguous.

The group did not elaborate and it was unclear if there would be any effect on protests and boycotts of Danish goods in Muslim countries.

The offices of the newspaper Jyllands-Posten were briefly evacuated Tuesday evening after an English-speaking person called in a bomb threat to the switchboard, and an Internet statement purportedly from insurgents in Iraq urged attacks in Denmark and Norway, the first known call for violent reprisals over the cartoons.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060131/ap_on_re_eu/denmark_prophet_drawings

Nice. Good to know there's so much tolerance abroad. You can paint Jesus in a jar of urine - no protests - but insult Mohammed and, as they say, heads must roll.

Geoff

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Someone needs to make a "Buddy Mohammed" pic similar to the "Buddy Christ" one, heh.

- N

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

I think it has something to do with the fact that they have, can, and will use violence as a tool to get people to obey their wishes. I say we boycott boycotting countries that aren't "tolerant" of Islam ; ).

AmishRakeFight

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mars13 give me liberty Registered Senior Member

fuck stupid whiney religous whackos,fuck them in their stupid ass's.

anyone who would freak out over a cartoon has mental problems and should either be locked up,or fired from a canon into the sea.

stupid crybabys with there WEAK PUNY god.

ODIN will crush all thier bones with his mighty hammer.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Way to go Europe! Screw those bullies. If Muslums want to live under sharia, they shouldn't immigrate to non-muslum countries. If you're going to live in civilized western nations, you're going to see stuff that pisses you off, deal with it.

9. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Here is some balance to this anti-Arab post .
    You be a political cartoonist for the New Zealand Hearld and have the backbone to do a cartoon like this .

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

He was sacked , his career finished and left destitute , all because the New Zealand Jewish community took offense .
    And this wasnt a one off incident this happens on a regular basis around the world to those who criticize Israel .

10. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Arabs aren't the only muslims, you know. And isn't it ridiculously clear that the muslims are in the wrong, in this case? Hell, your post even supports that view implicitly: That reacting strongly to such cartoons are out of line!

Is it just in your nature to do whatever you can to bring in jews into every discussion here, because of your sick obsession with them?

What "balance" does that bring?
    Of course they took offense. It can easily be interpreted as likening judaism to apartheid. Similarly, the cartoon of Mohammed with a bomb in the turban can be seen as likening Islam with terrorism.

However, the situations are not quite equivalent. For one thing, there's a difference between taking offence and demanding an apology and taking offence and demanding blood! Secondly, in the many, many incidents in which jews have felt offended and there hasn't been an apology forthcoming, you haven't seen riots in the streets of Jerusalem, flag burning, calls for death etc.

Do you really think that the situations of a single sacked cartoonist, and the crisis we're in due to religious fanatics thinking that they are in the right to demand jihad due to such cartoons are remotely equivalent? In that case you're an even bigger idiot than I thought.

And what is your point, exactly? That because a cartoonist got sacked for doing a cartoon, then it's alright for the muslims to take to the streets and besiege EU offices, force out Danes and Norwegians, etc.?
    Well, that certainly not unique to criticizing Israel: The editor of the France Soir has just been fired for printing the Mohammed cartoons. So, there.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  11. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Utter non-sense, here in scandinavia the majority of sentiment is most definately with the palestinians but this recent muslim uproar in response to some stupid cartoons has to say the least started to open some eyes up here. Now they have besieged the offices of the EU and are threatening peacekeepers, pure stupidity.

12. Paraclete Banned Banned

The editor of France Soir newspaper was fired today , because the Egyptian
    owner and muslim Lakah took offence:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11097877/

Newspapers in Germany, Austria, Schweiz, Spain, France, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Iceland and of course Denmark has now printed the pictures -
    I guess they will be suffering boycott too .....

The latest news is,that a JORDANIAN newspaper has printed 2 of the pictures
    and asked the question : What hurts the prophet most : these 2 pictures or
    a television broadcast with muslim terrorists cutting the throat of an innocent victim ?????

Good question from a MUSLIM country !!!!

In the USA a campaign for " support freedom of speech - BUY DANISH "
    has started - you can even buy T-shirts in the USA with this slogan and
    the danish flag ......

I guess all nations should print the pictures - then the muslims might have a problem with buying anything - if they have to boycott the rest of the world !!!

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I've been talking to my Danish friend about this. At first it seemed like a really minor incident, an unofficial threat of a Danish boycott, etc. But now it's just gone into a full blown verbal mud slinging fight. The Danish prime is in a tough position. For one he wants to enforce the nations right to free speech but he also wants to appease those in the middle east.

It's a bit tough to point fingers. On one side, it's just one small group of peoples idea of a joke and it might have not been the best of idea to print it. On the other, you can say that those in the middle east have blown the whole thing out of proportion.

The whole thing was done to incite a debate about real Freedom of Speech in the West...I think it's more than succeeded but not on a level many would have hoped for.

14. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Here is some balance to this anti-Arab post .
    You be a political cartoonist for the
    South African Sunday Times and have the backbone to do a cartoon like these .

Because we have something called freedom of speech the cartoonist is still employed.

And this wasnt a one off incident this happens on a regular basis around the world to those who criticize Israel.
    Yes, they remain employed. Oooh those evil world controlling Zionists! How dare they not threaten trade embargos against South Africa because a newspaper published such a thing! How dare they not burn our flags and protest outside our consulates!

15. heavymetal Banned Banned

Today BBC showed the cartoons in british television - so now there is another country to boycott ....
    Keep up the good work - when will US newspapers show the cartoons ????
    Does americans got balls enough to show them ???????????

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh, man - so if the US runs them are we supposed to boycott <I>ourselves</I>??

I really, really have so much respect for people who flip right the hell out over <I>frigging cartoons</I>, for crying out loud, and I'm trying to be a good dhimmi/kufr, but some days it's just so hard.

Geoff

PS: There's /sarc in there, don't be square.

17. FuJiMan Registered Senior Member

oh yeah mussies are so sweet and everybody else is evil and bad eh? I guess it's allright for you to do stupid useless "antiwest" posts all the time is it... I'm neutral on the israel "invasion" thing or perhaps even a bit on your side but you´re taking it way too far.

18. heavymetal Banned Banned

Here is the latest - I am looking at CNN right now - they showed the cartoons
    covered in PIXELS, so you could not actually see the pictures - so the pictures could "not offend anyone " - Uncle Sam and the bald eagle of US - WHERE are your balls ??????????????????????????

19. FuJiMan Registered Senior Member

Wake up, your America is a lie

20. heavymetal Banned Banned

So now the muslims will boycott Jordan - a muslim country !!!!

I will go and find a danish Tuborg or Carlsberg beer - the taste of those are now twice as good, just by knowing, that you support freedom of speech by drinking them !!!!!

21. heavymetal Banned Banned

Belgium and Hungary has now also showed the cartoons .........
    If it continues like this - then there might not be many countries left for the middle east to import from .......

22. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Uh, no. He's saying that more than "just Arabs" blow things out of proportion over cartoons.

I'd love to see BOTH the Arab cartoons AND the Jewish cartoons shown in the same paper and see who makes the first fuss over em.

- N

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What is even more ridiculous is that the idea behind not portraying Mohammed in pictures was to prevent idolotry, but now muslims ARE acting like Mohammed is a sacred idol.

Muslims that don't believe in democracy and freedom of speech should not live in such countries.