Cats and Ants

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by spidergoat, Apr 25, 2008.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The other night, I found some ants crawling around. I crushed a few of them, and they gave off a strong smell, like licorace. Is that formic acid? Just then, my cat came along and went crazy over the ants, started licking them up from the table and rolling in them. He even tried to nibble my fingers, it was even stronger than his reaction to catnip. Has anyone heard of this?

Edit: found this:

This paper "Dietary fats and body lipid composition in relation to hibernation in free-ranging echidnas" by Falkenstein et al. has, I think, solved an old puzzle for me. Years ago I noticed that our housecats were very excited and pleased by the scent of crushed meat ants (Iridomyrmex) on my boots. I assumed that there was something in the ants' bodies that "turned on" cats, and I actually did some experiments with formic acid, without success. I found the Falkenstein paper recently, which mentions the abundance of oleic acid in meat ant bodies. I also found out very recently that oleic acid is one of the important constituents of the pheromone that cats wipe on objects with their chins. It is possible to buy a synthetic mixture of fatty acids - including mostly oleic acid - which can be sprayed around a home to comfort cats and improve their behaviour in various ways. So - I now surmise that what my cats were reacting to so delightedly was the oleic acid released by the crushed meat ants.​

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Some housecats will even eat live ants. Lick the paw, put it on the ants' path so that ants walk across the paw, and then lick the ants off.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yea, I was going to say it probably has something to do with pheromones.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Some cats are just weird and do strange stuff to baffle their owners.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

My cat recently had a couple of episodes with biting ants.
    I'm not quite sure how it happened but he had 30-40 bites around his head and neck.

This could explain it.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Are you sure it were ant bites ?

10. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

No, but there are biting ants in the front garden so I just assumed.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I asked because it seems difficult for ants to get to a cat's skin around the neck area.