Cats vs Dogs, or Cardboard Approximations vs Real Creatures

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by superluminal, Aug 19, 2006.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

From the title you can see I have no bias toward dogs

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's my assertion that dogs are far more complex, responsive and interactive creatures (even more intelligent?) than cats.

Let's talk the evolutionary behaviorism of cats vs dogs and why dogs are soooo much better than cats. Damn. There's that bias again.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Dogs were domesticated by man.

No one can call a cat domesticated; not if they value their skin.
    They honor you with their presence, that's all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ok. you are anthropomorphizing you felines way too much. Let's try to look at their outward behaviors and see what we get.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Better in what way? They are just different.
    I don't think there is any evidence to suggest one is more intelligent than the other, or even how you would define that intelligence.
    People prefer one type of companion animal over another for various reasons. I would like a dog but I have little time to give it the exercise it would need and my house is very small so it would not have enough room living with my two cats. If I had a huge house with lots of land then I'd have loads of animals!!

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Go right ahead.

9. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Cat behaviour changes with age. A cat that seemed indifferent to it's human owners can suddenly become very needy and crave attention. I'm not sure why this is?
    I even used to paly fetch with one of my cats a few years back, completely instigated by him I might add.

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I agree. I was being facetious in the opening post. I have lot's of land and I have loads of animals.

Of the two cats, one is an indoor cat, the other came with the land and is fully self sufficient outside as well as in.

Of the dogs, one is a female yellow lab, the other is a male mashup of something or other. Looks collie/german shepardish.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes that is true. I had a very dominant cat who hated dogs and refused to care for her own babies. Later she suddenly changed & would even babysit other cats' kittens. It was weird.

I used to play fetch with several of my cats. it's easy to train them to do that.

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ok.

Cats:

Derived from solitary species, giving the cat it's reputation for "aloofness". This is just a cat's way of being uncomfortable with other creatures around. Wild cat species have no need of complex social behavior sets due to their solitary nature. They therefore exhibit a limited set of behaviors and interactions compared to dogs. "domesticated" cats are just adapting to a situation forced on them.

Dogs on the other hand evolved to be social, interactive creatures. They demonstrate natural affinity with a "pack" even if it's humans, and this makes for a much richer set of human/dog interactions.

Agree? Disagree? Why? Opinions?

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

The psychosis of a wild, solitary animal forced into an unnatural social context?

14. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

My oyungest cat seem very independent and only makes his presence known when he is hungry. He's only about 1 year old so I'm sure his behaviour will change a lot over the coming years.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Maybe if you have only one cat. I never did and I have not seen aloofness. All of our cats refuse to sit by themselves and insist on accompanying us around the house; with preference given to the one most liked.

Sure, they substitute you for the pack. Anyone will do.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you live alone? I'm guessing the other cat is older.

17. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I notice similar things. Both Elsie and Mr. Kitters will tend to be in the same room with us. I say this is an "unnatural" situation for cats. Their behaviors are therfore "artificial" and stem from mental discomfort.

Are you calling my dogs human-whores?

It's not a substitute. We are the pack. They are perfectly at home and comfortable in this situation.

18. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

I think some wild cats do have complex social behaviour, see cats hunting in groups and the struggle for mating rights. I can't really comment on dogs.
    I saw a documentary a few years back on feral cats in Rome, the following link tells you a bit more.

http://www.tvnature.com/archive/2000/bbc.htm

19. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

This is good. Gotta go now. Hoping to get lots more input and learn some things.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh so you interpret the evidence based on your assumptions?

And your assumptions being that what is natural for a dog is unnatural for a cat?

Based on your other assumptions of the abundance of evolutionary behaviors which apparently accompany us ad infinitum?

21. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

No I live with my girlfriend and yes the other cat is older, about 12 I think. He (the older cat) craves attention and will always try to 'snuggle' any human that happens to be in the house. He's also started to sleep on our bed from time to time.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

He's probably jealous and trying to establish prior ownership.

23. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

He's been around a while and has seen our other cats come and go. He seems to have a problem with female cats, but since our old girl died (she was 19) he has the run of the house more.
    It might have something to do with his advancing years, and I'm told white cats don't tend to live as long. He was also mashed up pretty bad by a car about four years ago. He has completely healed but is now very much a nervous and easily scared cat.