Celebrity Endorsement

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mickmeister, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I do not understand how celebrities endorsing products persuades people to purchase the product. I happened to see the commercial in which Alec Baldwin was endorsing the Captial One credit card. While he is endorsing it, I am thinking how ridiculous it is. Someone with the assets that Alec Baldwin has would not really care about a low interest rate or if they were earning sky miles.

I don't get why people take these types of commercials at face value and not think about how unrealistic it is that a famous celebrity would be using the same product. Would you envision Alex Trebec and Robert Wagner using a reverse mortgage? Highly unlikely, yet they were endorsing them. The maybelline commercials are a joke. Those women have had professional makeup artists to make them up to the level they are presented in the commercial. The average woman isn't going to look like that after using that product. Do you really see Donald Trump walking into Macy's and shopping?

I just find it pretty strange that people trust celebrities as if they are authorities on the product they are endorsing.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

They are usually paid very high fees for their endorsements of products and in many instances never use the products they are endorsing! If you were paid a few hundred thousand dollars to say that you use a certain product I'm sure your be more than willing to sell yourself away, wouldn't you?

I'm not sure that everyone is so trusting as you think. There are those people who would believe anything you tell them and they will always be the ones lead down the commercial road.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.