Chance of life on other planets

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by James R, Sep 4, 2010.

1. keith1 Guest

Like differences can be observed from their ancestor lines, amongst the Synapsids (observed during the dinosaur age). One can assume, with some confidence, that even negating the KT experience and resulting ease of the odds on Human domination, that they (the sapient-synapsid lines) would have (in greater time, of course--maybe not by our lifetime) still advanced forward amongst the various Synapsids, eventually eating the dinosaurs.

They (we) may be THAT resilient and destined to be around......anywhere......everywhere.

Synapsids rule. They can burrow during doomsday events. They can out-think all the rest.
    Humans are more or less cooler than they know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orcot Valued Senior Member

And was it ever meant to be scientific? It isn't drakes law on the probability of intiligent species it's more iconic like the golden disk on the voyager craft. It simply invites discussion on the subject it's still guessing but it tries to split up the guessing into fields that each can be rechearched individually producing scientific valuable data.
    In itself it has no scientific value apart from splitting up the question of is their intilligent life to what is required for alien life to form.
    Like witch fraction of stars has planets
    and wat percentage could potentially support life (I'm guessing solid planets in the goldilock zone).

Both can be studied and be linkend to the big quistion

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

You are changing your line of argument from primates to synapsids, That is called moving the goalposts. Do not do that.

That is an incredible stretch. The fact that protomammals lived in niche environments during the entire span of the dinosaurs belies your argument.

Do not move the goalposts like this or make unverifiable/borderline crackpot arguments again. Consider yourself warned.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Mircea:

Sounds like you have some unresolved anger regarding Carl Sagan, for some reason. Do you care to elaborate on what your personal issue with him is/was? It's not jealousy, I hope.

8. keith1 Guest

I'm not quite sure of the reasoning behind your dismay, since primates are related to synapsids. Same goalpost. I merely moved back in time to relate even further to human survival tenacity.

I will no longer be posting or reading in the threads that you moderate. You are as pompous as Kadhafi.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2011
  9. orcot Valued Senior Member

I know this is a bid of a stretch but if we ever come in contact with a other sentient being, do you think it will be a extra terrestrial and will it be us finding them or them finding us. Or will it be us making them and if so will it be a A.I. a ressurected (if that's the word) neanderthal or something biological we coocked up or selfs.

(PS it's not really a scientific post but it does cover somewhat the different approaches on how we might possible come in contact)

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I decided to answer this before reading any other responses. I don't see any similarities.

Life on Earth is natural and the fact that it exist at all is proof that given the same set of circumstances that allowed it to develop and evolve on Earth, it will most likely develop and evolve anywhere that it can in the Universe. We have no way of knowing how likely that might be, without a very much larger sampling of potential life supporting planets that we can examine and study. Given the shear numbers of potential life supporting solar systems in the Milkyway alone, it seems quite likely we are not alone, and that's only one galaxy out hundreds of billions. Now if you want to talk intelligent life that's another story altogether. First we need to know are we looking for technology or intelligence regardless of technology? After all humans were considered intelligent long before much technology had been developed. If we can't get off this planet and start populating other star systems we aren't going to be around long enough that it will matter. Even if we luck out and still have good living conditions after 10,000 years, that's a hardly noticeable amount of time in the grand scheme of the Universe.

If it's that way for humans on Earth well I'm betting life is tough anywhere in the Universe that it can exist.

11. nitram22 Registered Senior Member

life abroad

I greatly agree w/ this statement. To think we are alone in our own galaxy, let alone the Universe, to me, is quite naive. To assume that life beyond would be similar in form to ourselves is also not likely. It's a stretch to think that another planet has encountered the same factors, history, and evolutionary events that the Earth has. Our own solar system is a mix of planets that have very little in common w/ each other. How different must the planets be from us that are elsewhere in the diversities of space. But, then again, what if the theories of our being planted here were true? Then we would have to ask ourselves, how many planets were we actually placed on, and where? Did they develop as we have?
    The possibilities are staggering. And the answer may not be so. Its an answer that we will not likely find in our lifetime.

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

Humans did originate on this planet we were not planted here in any way or you should mean panspermia in witch case all life on earth is alien. The evolution of man isn't really straightforward but the fact that we share the same spinal colum to the brain, that we have 5 fingers on each of our four limbs, that internally we work pretty much the same as the great apes and the fact that some of the sentient species went extinct over time all shows that we were not planted on this planet