Change size of pics - code?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by CEngelbrecht, Jan 10, 2015.

1. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

Is there a method to fix the size of a posted image via the BB programming language?

I've tried to use [IMG=AxB], but it doesn't seem to work here.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't know about under the BB markup language, but I do know my blog software can do it for me; WordPress is pretty simple, merely adding at least one of the dimensions as a query in the url. For instance, the gay icon in the header image.

The official image dimensions are 1000x375: bdthisis.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/putin-expression.png. Forum software scales the image to fit it into our style sheet.

However, I can also assign a simple dimension:

The above display is scaled in the image link: bdthisis.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/putin-expression.png?w=300, setting the image width to 300 pixels; the image scales appropriately.

I don't know the rules for how that particular format works; it seems specific to the server software. My Picasa/Google image drives do seem to have dimensions written into urls, but I haven't figured out how to manipulate that.

Then again, since I've taken to various stylistic outcomes, I tend to customize most of my blog images; the black and white suits the page layout, and the added noise is just something I do. Many of the images I use are simply cropped to run unscaled:

Image credit: Detail of cartoon by Adam Huber, 17 December 2014.

(bdthisis.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/huber-20141217-bugmartini-detail.png)

Most commercial web software automatically scales, like we see at Sciforums. Even the former software could. But there were some images that didn't scale properly, and I never did figure out what the deal with those was. And I'm pretty sure I can force an overwide picture by setting the query above our column width, but those manipulations are in the address, and I'll run a test later, so as not to mangle up the display of this thread if it works.

Oh, or you could skip to this part: BBcode.org on posting images↱, though ... I guess we can test ... and my first test failed. I'll try again to be certain that none of the markups work. (I tried [img width="300" height="116"]...url...[/img].)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CEngelbrecht Registered Senior Member

It doesn't work, sadly. Maybe it's a setting on the site CP.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.