Chauvin and the predicament of solitary confinement

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by wegs, Apr 26, 2021.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

https://theweek.com/speedreads/978916/derek-chauvin-solitary-confinement-predicament

Prisons use solitary confinement as a means of punishment at times, for unruly inmates but in this case, Chauvin is being kept there for his own safety. I'm assuming he'd be a target for most any group in prison, and his life would be in danger. But, will this change once he is sent to his ''final destination'' prison? Chauvin's trial has captured world wide attention, so even if he's moved a few states away, chances are those inmates will have heard of Chauvin, as well. So, therein lies the conundrum of what to do with him once he has been sentenced.

While many of us may think Chauvin ''belongs'' in prison, I'm not a fan of solitary confinement, as if it's used for an extended period of time, it has been shown to drive inmates mad. The US prison system is in need of reform imo, as it's mainly used for punitive measures, without much thought to rehabilitation. (That's a topic for another time.)

So, what is the alternative to general population for an inmate like Chauvin, besides (traditional*) solitary confinement?

*By traditional solitary confinement, I mean when an inmate is locked in his/her cell 23 hours daily, with one hour out of the cell for recreation (or whatever else). During the 23 hours locked in the cell, he/she has some reading/writing materials (I've read but that may differ depending on the prison) and no social interaction.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021