Chi (Qi)

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Sep 23, 2005.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

some believe in it some are masters of it some believe it dosent exist some believe it is almost magic. i teach tai chi i know of its existance, yet western people are ignorant to even learn of its nature question 1 is what is your opinion about chi (Qi) question 2 is if your a sceptic why dont you open your mind, if you only trust what science hands you (bearing in mind every century we find out science was wrong about yet another thing) chi can be detected using heat sensors and no it isnt just random heat blotches coincidentaly moving where the tai chi master tells you he will move the focus of chi to.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

if you say well why cant we see or hear it, ok then.

you cant see the wind but yet its powerfull.
    you cant hear a rock.
    you can feel still air.

you can feel chi (Qi) you just cant see it dont ask me why i cant tell you that. we cant see wind either but its there. what is the thing that makes up 99.9% of the universe and can travel through any solid object like its not there ?

thats right

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

There is no thing that makes up 99.9% of the Universe.
    We have matter and dark matter. Dark matter being stuff that does not emit any light or other radiation. And dark matter (an estimated 85% of the mass in the observable universe) itself can be many kinds of matter combined.
    Then there is also anti-matter, but it's roughly identical to matter, just with a negative charge.

On chi I have no oppinion and no need for it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Thought, it actually makes up 100 percent of the universe because without it, the universe wouldn't be known at all. By the way rocks talk for if you really pay attention to them they can tell you their age, types and classifications.

8. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Avatar, there is no such thing as "Dark matter", it's just invented by stupid physicists who couldn't completely understand magnetism (the only force). Neither is there any "antimatter"

~ The 40,000 year old semi-intelligent biased pseudo-Christian New age Atheist from Lemuria

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

If there is no anti-matter then why are we able to manufacture it? :bugeye:
    Dark matter is just uncounted for matter in the universe, and because we don't see it (we know where it is), it does not emit radiation. Dark matter is detected only because of the gravitational pull it has on visable matter.
    As for physicists, I rather trust world class cosmologists with lot of work behind them than some net entity by the alias of c7ityi_ who might as well be a 12 year old kid.

10. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Physics were obliged to invent "anti-matter" to maintain the coherence of their theories, in order to ensure the balance of the whole mass of the universe. Dark matter was invented the same way.

When we know that all particles are magnetic, there is no need to invent anything hypothetical to make theories consistent. "Matter" contains its own counterpart, since it constitutes, within itself, the opposition of two principles. "Anti-matter" is within "matter" itself.

Atoms behave exactly like stars and planets, but they cannot be observed without interception.

"Dark matter" isn't matter, it is a force!

Sad for you. As for me, I only trust what is true. It is stupid to believe in false things. How stupid to think that world class cosmologists know more about the nature of reality than a 12 year old kid.

~ The Indigo Colored Cat

11. Sabian_bel Registered Member

Qi is actually gaining ground in the western world but it is hard for it to find a root here until it is really well understood. It has been reasoned out to be, in essence, bioelectricity and that has allowed a combination of both eastern and western medicine to study from a scientific standpoint. The problem it originally had was that a lot of it seemed sort of unrealistic in the terms eastern practitioners had formed it, even though the correlations they made did prove true.

A good example of this is the concept of Original Jing. Traditionally this is your pre-birth essence given to you by your parents; it is located in your kidneys and must be guarded and harnessed. Through modern medicine we can look at this and realize that Original Jing is actually your hormones, many of which are created in the glands that sit atop your kidneys after they are triggered by your pituitary gland. Having good control over these glands allows you to step up your metabolism on command and thus harness your Qi (bioelectricity) production.

Realizations like this will over time not only bring eastern medicine the respect it deserves but will also hopefully allow it to continue it’s 4000 year history of continual refinement. Until the first few crucial steps are taken however it’s not going to be fully accepted. It takes years of Qigong to reach a point where you know for a fact that there is more to Qi then meets the eye, and in general proof that takes each person years to find isn’t going to be accepted.

12. ayla_z It's always here, always now.. Registered Senior Member

Chi can be experienced in a moment. Preparation for that moment is what takes time. Time not to learn, but to un-learn.

However, focusing on Chi is focusing on a side-effect of awakening, like ghost-hunting, and clairvoiance, it is a way of getting lost...

Someone who finds Chi is on a longer path, and not there yet... whatever can be named is not IT. Don't settle for less than IT. Chi ain't IT. Just a sign-post along the road....

13. VitalOne Banned Banned

Hey, there is a guy called Wilhelm Reich, who "discovered" something called Orgone energy which is very similar to what people call chi, most Scientists DO NOT accept his theories, here is what he said about Orgone (chi):
    - It is mass free & pre-atomic
    - It is present everywhere
    - It is the medium for electromagnetic and gravitational phenomena
    - It is in constant motion
    - It "contradicts" the law of entropy.

Wilhelm Reich was a student of Sigmund Freud and presented his Theories to Einstein but Einstein disagreed with him. He said there's two different type of Orgone Energies, a life giving one (good), and deadly one (bad)

He also made something called a "Orgone Accumulator" which is a device that accumulates Qi (Orgone) to an area. Though scientists disagree with him, they cannot explain why plants grow faster in orgone accumulators

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Unfortunately the FDA burned his works for some reason (

)

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

thats interesting i have a natural Orgone accumilator (myself) maybe i should practise taiji neer my weed plants and see if i get some good fast shit.

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

avatar you have no need for Qi (chi)? you do realise that you depend on it right? like you depend on oxygen.

16. Shifty Russian International Man of Mystery Registered Senior Member

No. But I do depend on myself, like I depend on oxygen.

- Shifty Russian
    www.WhoMakesYouSick.com

17. Light Registered Senior Member

Like all the other mystical philosophies, it contains afew useful grains of truth.

However, just how useful is it in the long run? Show me something important that it has produced compared to the traditional scientific approach. Anything. (Not directed at you, Shifty Russian, but rather the "Chi Master" and anyone else who has bought into it.)

18. nameless Registered Senior Member

Hello all.

Isn't accupuncture supposed to be all about the 'flow' of 'qi' along certain meridians along the body? Thorough testing has shown that all 'effects' of accupuncture are placebo. All placebo. 'Placebo' is not a 'dirty word' when your pain is diminishing or gone. Mind!

If 'believing' in 'qi', 'god', 'spirit guides', 'orgone', 'goddesses, 'aluminum-foil hats', 'Atlantean warrior chanelling', or any of a vast panoply of personally meaningful mytho-logical 'exteriorizations', can assist in accessing the deeper 'places within', granting us the 'value' thereof (pain reduction, enhanced healing, energy, focus and health...) then I ask, why not?
    Physics must and will expand to include Consciousness, or suffocate in paradox.

People seem to have the need to 'externalize' that which is within. Perhaps not 'need', perhaps one just 'believes' in an 'out there'. 'Access' (coding) to the 'inner depths' can take many 'non-rational' (NOT 'irrational') forms. I guess that the 'proof is in the pudding'! If whatever you use, mantra, prayer, candles, equations, logic, poetry, entheogens, ritual, 'faith-in-whatever'... works, then wheres the problem? All is well.

'Master' one thing, and one Masters everything.
    Master 'qi', (or 'ritual', or 'flower arranging'...) whether this access key is valid for anyone else or not is irrelevent, it is 'real' enough for the 'practitioner' to be able to Master, thus Mastering 'self'.

It IS Magic when one deliberately, 'volitionally', accesses/programs the 'depths' (of Mind, within which are all things) and 'emerges' into the 'desired' moment.. Seemingly 'creating' it, but not so. Just emerging Willfully as Consciousness into the already, simultaneously existing Moment.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  19. VitalOne Banned Banned

Your statements are only partially true. For instance, a Study done shows that accupunture is more than placebo (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4493011.stm)

Also, have you looked into Wilhelm Reich's experiments, can a placebo really explain why bean sprouts grow 3x faster in orgone accumulators? Unless you are to assume that bean sprouts believe in chi (orgone) energy which causes them to grow faster.

Also much of this is what people consider a placebo. Why? Because Qi is controlled by Yi (intent). Chi moves by intent.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  20. nameless Registered Senior Member

Hello Vital.
    Sorry, my statements are as 'true' as I know for me, perhaps only partially true 'to you'? One can find support of ANYTHING somewhere on the net. Ultimately, one does believe what one will.

Have you 'looked into' the QM understanding that the 'consciousness' of the experimenter affects the results? I think that Occam's razor trims away 'magical', 'unverifiable' so called 'causes' when the 'known' simple causes suffice (for the moment). Plants grow happier when they are sung to, prayed over, thought lovingly of, etc.. It is not necessarily the particular 'behavior' of the 'experimenter' in this instance, but that the 'experimenter' himself, his consciousness, is 'interacting' with the plant. Not the particular 'song', but the 'attitude' of the singer... One might as well say that when the experimenter sings to the plant, god comes from heaven and personally rubs up against the plant.. Occam would stop at the singing experimenter. A 'believer' will stop at god.

Ahhh, like the 'ether' of the alchemists... Perhaps 'this' 'ether' will someday be 'evidenced'.

Bye the bye, personally, as far as I'm concerned, I do understand the concept of 'qi', but the jury is still out concerning the 'actuality' of the 'stuff'. I am well aware of the 'results' atributed to qi, but I am not convinced that the 'results' could not have another 'explanation'. Mind, for instance. Are you proposing that 'qi' is analogous with 'mind'?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  21. VitalOne Banned Banned

It's not like I found it at some Quack site, it's a real study done. It's done from researchers from the University of London, Southampton University, and even Oxford. I think you saying one can find support of anything is just a sign that you can't accept that accupuncture is more than a placebo.

It's a double-blind experiment. The experimenter's consciousness has little to do with the results. Also, Wilhelm Reich who was an actual scientist, student of Freud, and who spoke to Einstein saw Orgone (Qi) as an actual existant energy, that was pre-atomic. It isn't like God coming from heaven and rubbing against the plant. That's like saying the law of entropy is akin to the Gods shouting or some rubbish like that.

The Yi directs the Qi flowing throughout the body.

I wonder why much of the things said about Qi are true about the Orgone energy that Wilhelm Reich speaks about (like water having the strongest chi),

I wonder why Qigong practioners that tried healing cells increased their reproduction rate by over 30%. But then again, this all a "placebo" effect to you. That's like saying gravity existing is simply a placebo effect

Remember Wilhelm Reich was a psychology student of Freud well versed in the knowledge of the "placebo effect".

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ok all i have to say is this, if you dont wanna know about Qi and live your life excluding its existance fair enough, but i havent met anyone in person who has said i dont believe in Qi after practising qi cultivation techniques with me or my master or anyone else. after you actually learn how to cultivate, direct, and strenthern qi from a real taiji or Qi gong master or practitioner, then you will realise there is alot more to everything in this world than what your eyes can see.

and about buying into things, this is a foolish thing to say, why do you assume everyone is western minded and hasnt been taught these things since an early age and grew up with it in there lives everyday.

23. nameless Registered Senior Member

I have seen enough 'evidence' from all sides that I can say that I am withholding opinion. I feel that it might just be a case of the blind men and the elephant. Different 'perspectives' talking of the 'same effect'. I don't wish to be confrontational. What difference what I 'accept' or not? Is this a 'religion'? A 'cult'?
    I learned all my life of the mythology of the Japanese katana (sword) doing all sorts of wondrous 'magical' feats. I heard the stories so much that I began to give them more credence than I aught. Experience, after 35 years as a bladesmith and a martial artist has shown me the 'metaphoric nature' of these 'claims'. Makes a nice story, though...
    Like I said, there are all sorts of sites on the net, serious sites by serious people with serious thoughts and opinions. Read what you like and form your opinions. But I don't discard all opposing evidence should I choose to favor one side or the other.

WOW! An 'actual, for real, scientist?!?! The experimenter has a lot to do with the experiment. Look it up. This is basic stuff.
    Bye the bye, what did Freud and Einstein have to say about his 'orgone'?? Do you know, since YOU brought them up for some reason?

That is well within placebo range. Dude, I didn't invent 'placebo'. 'I' have nothing to do with it. These are the studies that I have uncovered. I, on the other hand, have nothing that I am emotionally invested in that I feel the need to 'prove', or 'believe in'. I guess that the Samurai would have fought to the death to defend the precious reputation of their 'soul', their katana. And a 'practitioner' of Qi, or 'orgone' might tend to discount placebo effect in favor of validation of their 'beliefs'.

I don't know what the 'student' was well versed in. I'm sure that you are much more knowledgeable regarding Reich's knowledge and understanding. Again, what did Freud have to say about his student's 'orgone theory'??

You know, you are responding to a bit of respectful healthy questioning and comment like a Xtian when someone says that they don't believe that Jezus actually existed in the flesh. I didn't 'attack' anything. All I said was that I didn't find enough evidence to become a 'believer'. Does that threaten your 'beliefs'? Is 'orgone' a 'belief'? Chi? I think that it is. Another metaphor from the mysterious inscrutable East that is so delicious to the palette, that critical thought is eventually discarded in favor of attempts to 'justify' one's beliefs.