Chinese Oil firm could be bigger than Exxon

Discussion in 'World Events' started by countezero, Nov 5, 2007.

1. countezero Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

no one is bad in business world. As long as the country has forces to backup its businesses.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. countezero Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. maxg Registered Senior Member

No. They won't care about the environment and the welfare of human beings the world over the way US oil companies do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. countezero Registered Senior Member

China is the world's largest polluter. And now they apparently will have the world's largest oil firm. So I'm waiting to see if they get the same sort of international hatred and condemnation the US and its oil companies receive. I suspect they won't...

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Three comments:
    1) I thought that the USA is the worse polluter in the world?
    2) Australia pollutes more per person than any other country in the world?
    3) China has 1.3 BILLION people, we should expect they will produce a lot of human waste simply because there are a lot of people there.

Which brings me back to point #2 - really it should be per person.

Michael

10. Kovak Registered Senior Member

Yep here in Oz especially in Victoria we have still large amounts of surface coal that is easily extracted for electricity generation.Given the raised awareness of our earthly plight over the last few years I believe that more people are becoming conscious of their personal and externally generated carbon emissions (industry, manufacturing, start to retail process of goods)

However 'we ' i.e. general population are still greatly influenced by advertising and mass consumption due to media indoctrination.

Imagine if we all took the pay cut and worked the 4 day work week.On the Monday we would purposefully enjoy our creativity and family/friends and pets, and minimized our carbon use.The Italians call it something like 'relax without guilt.' Im doing it today & its sweet!

Our mortality should be enough motivation to work less and enjoy life & nature more.

11. John99 Banned Banned

Well said. I think in Italy they close their shops from 12.30 to 3.30.

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

That's true but they also stay at work much later don't they? Like 10pm I think?

13. jlocke Registered Senior Member

PetroChina, the oil producer you're referring to, isn't "bigger" than Exxon, it just had a higher market cap than Exxon for a while, but I believe it's lower than Exxon again now. When they say larger they are talking value, not output or physical size.