chromosome in the brain cell

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by arauca, Sep 22, 2011.

1. arauca Banned Banned

There are 23 sets of chromosome among them is there a chromosome that is more involved with neurons in the brain functioning ?

Do brain cells have a higher metabolic rate then other cells in the body ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

All chromosomes contain genes that are required for neuronal function. Whether or not there is a chromosome with considerably more neuronal-required genes than the other chromosomes, I don’t know. I doubt it; I have never heard of a chromosome with a disproportionate number of genes for a given cell type function.

Yes, neurons have a very high metabolic rate. They rely solely on glycolysis for energy production, so they need large amounts of glucose and oxygen. The brain accounts for ~2% of body mass yet consumes ~20% total body oxygen and ~25% of total body glucose. (Figure from memory.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

Well it was a thought sense the X and Y chromosome have a sort of specificity with gender genome , so there could be some specificity for other organs sense we are an association of organs to make a whole body. And different organs have a different regeneration rate .
    Correct me . would you say different chromosome in human body have different telomers length ?
    tank you

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

Sense the brain have a high metabolic rate would it be expected to have a higher temperature in the head , but is not so . so the energy must be well distributed to make the brain active at all time.

8. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

That brings up a point I have been curious about for some time. Sedatives have long been to medically induce comas to protect the brain in case of trauma. I presume this is because electrical activity is the big energy hog. (I'm guessing it takes a lot of atp to pump all those K and Na ions across a cell membrane.) Is this the case, and how much of a difference does it make in energy consumption?

9. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

The sex chromosomes (ie X/Y chromosomes) contain genes that play an important role in gender development; however there are numerous other autosomal genes (ie. genes on other chromosomes) that contribute to gender development and to sex-specific traits.

I am not aware of differences in telomere length between chromosomes within a cell. There can be differences in chromosome telomere length between different cell types. Reduction in telomere length is a function of cell division; the more cell divisions, the shorter the telomeres. (The exception to this rule is stem cells.) Abnormally shortened telomeres can also result from various pathologies.

The heads produces a great deal of heat as a direct result of the high metabolic rate of the brain. Heat is removed via the blood stream and by outward radiation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Interesting question Kevin. :thumbsup: I don’t know the answer for sure. You’re correct that neuronal function consumes a lot of energy as they are constantly pumping ions, synthesising and recycling neurotransmitters, synthesising and recycling vesicles, synthesising and recycling receptor and numerous other proteins. But I don’t know how much that energy load is reduced by inducing a coma, and whether the reduction in energy load is a primary reason for induced comas.

I think one of the main potential benefits in induced comas is the reduction of intracranial pressure. Brain cells can only utilise glycolysis for energy production. In other words, they can only use glucose and not any of the various other organic molecules that most other cells can utilise for energy production, such as fatty acids. Because of its reliance solely on glucose and oxygen for energy, the brain requires a large blood supply. If you reduce the energy load, you reduce the required blood supply. This, in turn, constricts the blood vessels in the brain which reduces intracranial pressure. This is important if there is any brain swelling due to trauma.

11. arauca Banned Banned

By inducing coma would be some how equivalent to bring the brain to a lower metabolic rate ?
    While under trauma condition would it mean that the brain have no way to get rid of metabolic bu products ?

Then an other question . during trauma is there a temporary increase in temperature ?

12. arauca Banned Banned

Very interesting pictures .

13. wlminex Banned Banned

. . .glucose metabolism + neuron activity . . . is this somehow related to recent news relating diabetes, insulin, and alzheimers? Just a query . . .