Chutzpah, Zeitgeist, and other buzz words we need to know...

Discussion in 'World Events' started by desi, Jul 19, 2007.

1. desi Valued Senior Member

http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?id=6718453

This link is to a story about oil but that is not the topic. The topic is the word zeitgeist which is in the story as a quote. Its also the name of a 'new' movie on youtube. This was not a word used at all until like two weeks ago. Now lots of people will look up this word and watch the movie. What kind of people do this sort of thing and why? Or is Desi just being a bit paranoid?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

you are spreading this new word in hopes that others will care and spread it themselves. But world is unpure and ideology crumbles through time, so all will be forgotten. Short answer: paranoid and want to make us paranoid.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What are you talking about?
    This word has been in common usage for a number of years.
    Perhaps not in your circle, but your world is not the world.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. countezero Registered Senior Member

I can remember using zeitgeist in term papers quite a bit when I was an undergraduate and wanted to sound smart...

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Limited weltanschauung: if I were more callous I'd be exhibiting schadenfreude.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That one I know

That's a new one to me.
    What's it mean?

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Another of those wonderful German words that don't quite translate exactly:

personal view of the world, how you relate to it, fit in.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I just looked at the article and realized that the tool used it incorrectly.
    "Zeitgeist of the times"?
    Zeitgeist means time spirit.
    That's like saying, "Spirit of the times of the times".

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Have you read "The meaning of Tingo"?
    I highly recommend it.
    It is a brilliantly funny book, especially for thos with an interest in etymology.
    Here's the Amazon.com editorial review...

What began as a fortuitous discovery, when BBC researcher Adam Jacot de Boinod noticed that an Albanian dictionary contained 27 different words each for eyebrows and mustache, has become, after his obsessive 18-month journey through hundreds of foreign dictionaries, a very funny and genuinely informative guide to the world's strangest--and most useful--words. There are many books out there that invent, Sniglets-style, the words that the English language doesn't have but needs. What The Meaning of Tingo shows is that, like natural cures waiting to be found in the plants of the rainforest, many of the words already exist, in the languages of the world's other cultures. Who couldn't find a use for "neko-neko," an Indonesian word for "one who has a creative idea which only makes things worse," or "skeinkjari," a term from the Faroe Islands for "the man who goes among wedding guests offering them alcohol"? Some words that Jacot de Boinod has found are bizarre--"koro," the "hysterical belief that one's penis is shrinking into one's body" in Japanese--while others are surprisingly affecting, like the Inuit word "iktsuarpok," which means "to go outside often to see if someone is coming." And then there's "tingo" itself, from the Pascuense language of Easter Island: "to take all the objects one desires from the house of a friend, one at a time, by borrowing them."
    Nearly any page you open to in The Meaning of Tingo pays hilarious tribute to the inventive genius of the world's peoples. Like Eat, Shoots & Leaves and Schott's Miscellany, with which it shares a quirky British charm and a gift-friendly look and size, The Meaning of Tingo is a UK bestseller that by all rights should become equally popular in the States. --Tom Nissley

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I hope you'll post this on the Linguistics subforum. I'm almost tempted to ask the moderator to move the whole thread, since it's about words.

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Eats, Shoots and Leaves was phenomenally funny.
    And saddening.
    I sympathised with the author all the way through, especially as we have a market trader here in my town who advertises sport's sock's for sale.
    I'm often tempted to add another two apostrophes, just for devilment.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I have no idea what your asking...zeitgeist was first recorded in English in 1848 according to the Oxford English Dictionary and is a direct port from German. Are you relating it to the word "chutzpah"? Chutzpah is from Yiddish from the Hebrew and was first recorded in English in 1892 according the OED.

I started to watch Zeitgeist on YouTube...assuming you mean the "Zeitgeist" that related to the Fed (there are several movies worthy that word as the title or in the title). That's more or less a crock. It delivers the same "income taxes are unconstitutional" and "the fed is a private bank not a federal agency" conspiracy nonsense. (It does add a new charge that I've never heard though, that "not one cent of this tax goes to pay for any governmental program whatsoever. NOT ONE CENT"...according to the movie it all goes "into the pockets of international bankers" who control us like slaves. (As an aside, I once read an essay that suggested that anyone who rants against "international bankers" is really using code for "jewish bankers.")

They also say that there is "literally no law" that requires one to pay income taxes...though I refer them to 26 U.S.C. §1, which says:

Seems clear enough to me. I think what they mean to say is that no statute requires you to file a "return" with the IRS. That's true, the statutes say that if the regulations require it, then a return must be filed (§ 6011), so I guess it's technically a regulation, not a statute that says it. Perhaps there is no express regulation and thats the issue...but with or without one, § 1 imposes the tax.