Cold Emotions

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mickmeister, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

What causes a person to have cold emotions? Some people do not seem to feel anything whether it be good or bad. Is it a "firewall" they have up that causes them to be without feelings?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

n0 such thing as c0ld em0ti0ns. 0nly faint em0ti0ns. and y0u are right ab0ut a firewall.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

So I assume an analogy could be made which the events are processed in the brain and then sucked into a "black hole" to never be revisited, therefore leading to a seemingly cold reply?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Depends on the situation. Some people are naturally unemotional or 'cold'. As a general rule of thumb, people from Northern colder climes tend to be more unemotional than ones from Southern warmer climes. It's as if the country's median temperature is reflected through the person's emotional response, but this of course is not written in stone.

Generalising aside, people can act 'cold' for various reasons. 1) You feel let down or henpecked by your spouse, or maybe they're not giving you enough sex or buying you the right things, so you sulk and act cold, the longer the problems remain unresolved the more cold you become.

2) You feel let down by a friend or relative or a business acquaintance--you either express your feelings and forget it or you act cold towards them depending on your personality. Sometimes, you express your feelings but the problem remains, so you tend to act cold regardless of your personality.

3) You find that life is an uphill struggle, a losing battle; your boss not only doesn't show his apreciation he doesn't even know you exist. Your friends (if you had any) never invite you out or never reciprocate when you've done something nice for them. You wish you could do things, make achievements, win love and money, but you don't because you haven't got the talent or the intelligence or the lucky break. What happens? You tend to act cold.

4) Drug abuse, criminal desires or achievements, prison sentences, physical, mental or sexual abuse, these can all drain any warmth in one's personality.

There are probably more reasons but they all follow the same reasoning.

8. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Do these initiate a person to remain inactive from previous hyperactivities?

Whether getting emotions have some beneficial role physiologically and can such effects be measured?

9. draqon Banned Banned

of course being emotional is trusting your neurological response on someone else...so if someone else returns positive emotions...you are effected as well. Problem is...when time goes by and all you get is nothingness or/and negative emotions...you/I tend to lock up in themselves and thus cold emotions are abundant to prevent further damage.

10. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

High intelligence can sometimes cause people to not share their emotions. When you know that emotional expression leads to manipulation and exploitation, you'll be less likely to be emotional.

Also, in order to do a job you have to be cold, if your job is cold, you'll become your job.

Finally, no one is without feelings. It's more that people believe what their feel is none of your godamned business. It's fine if you want to share how you feel with someone, but you should never expect or force a person to share how they feel, because ultimately, emotions are private. It does not matter what people say, in the end emotions are private.

Some people like to keep their emotions private to maintain independence. Only those who are emotionally independent are free.

11. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Thats not true either. You see, most smiles you recieve are fake, people smile at you because it's polite, not because they feel anything for you. People shake your hand because it's polite, not because they feel anything for you. People might also call you Sir, Mr., or any of these hyped up titles out of politeness but not feel a damn thing for you.

Many people display fake emotions, in fact more people display fake emotions than display real. There are more fake people than real people, so statistics say it's stupid to try and function in this world based on emotion.

Stoicism is the way to function. The example, make your decisions independently, regardless of how you feel about the decision, based on what the result will be and not how you feel about it. In the end, the world is result oriented and will never feel good anyway.

I'll give you a story example, lets say you have a friend, and this friend you've known for, 10, or 20 years, and the rules of friendship are set in stone, and this friend knows in advance if they cross a certain line they will be treated as a stranger. Let's say they cross that line, do you let it go? The correct thing to do, is to follow your principles regardless of how you or they feel about it. These principles exist to protect you and them, essentially to protect you both from each other. Depending on the seriousness of the offense should define the response. How you feel about them has nothing to do with the response, the offense defines the reponse.

If someone attacks you, it does not matter how long you've known them, or how much you like them, an attack is an attack, and a response is a response, and they choose your response when they initiated the action. So in a way life is more like chess than checkers.

In checkers you can play how you feel, and be simple, and stumble your way to victory. If you try that in life, all you'll get is abused, hurt, exploited, and treated as a bitch, over and over. At some point, you'll understand that it's your responsibility to protect yourself, it's your responsibility to own your emotions, you cannot give your emotions to anyone else, and in the times that you do (we all slip up), you have to recognize that even if you love a person, and would like to spend your life with that person, that ultimately still, your principles come before your emotions.

If you cannot control your emotional impulses you won't be able to function in society. You have to be able to control your temper, you cannot let someone get you mad just because they figured out how to push your buttons, otherwise you'll be exploited(treated as a bitch). If you are always depressed, you cannot let another person exploit that to control you, as if you have a low self esteem and this is the cause of your depression, there are people who will prey on that and exploit the hell out of the fact that you don't love yourself, and the result of this is what you see with pimps and prostitutes. Finally, you have to not let love (obsession), cause you to be exploited, as there are many who will use love simply as bait, and then wallet rape you. And if someone wallet rapes you their emotions are being exploited too (greed).

So the emotions, are yours, or they will be exploited, and you'll be someone elses property.

12. draqon Banned Banned

thats too extreme...its making everyone else's expressions mean nothing...and thats definitely wrong.

13. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Thanks. Can getting negative emotions may also have some beneficial role? Think about getting suicidal tendancies, if can be linked to promoting Apoptosis, if impaired?

14. draqon Banned Banned

are you saying death as a beneficial role? Good grace...no.

15. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Accept the truth, stop being an optimist and calling the world extreme. People in this world are extreme, adapt to them.

Most expressions do mean nothing. How many false expression do you see in a day? You see all these people pretend like they care about other people, but they really only care about themselves, and usually not more than just their physical body, with no care at all for their future self.

People use expressions simply to get what they want from people like you who respond to it. Average people, their minds work like this "how can I get what I want from draqon? Ah I get it, maybe if I make him feel like this, he will give me what I want!".

So you'll have people who want something from you, friends, who will kiss your ass and treat you really good, then ask you for a favor, or if they can borrow money. They won't just straight ask for the favor, instead they'll plan the entire day out, and arrange it so you'll be in the best possible mood BEFORE they ask.

Sometimes emotions are manipulated for good reasons, not everyone has bad intentions, but when you put your emotions out there you are open to manipulation, period. If you are dealing with a person who has good intentions, they will make you feel better and better, and you can do the same for them, and thats good. Maybe they'll make you laugh and smile, all good.

Then you have people, who don't love, can't love, don't give a damn about you, and just want to exploit the hell out of you for their own personal gain. So to them, you are an object to be used. All the expressions they show you are fronts, fake, illusions to trick you into doing whatever they want. It's that simple.

16. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Kumar you have a very strange yet rare mind, I thought I thought outside of the box but I read your posts and it baffles me.

17. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

The most common thought that an average person thinks, is "I want..", thats the most common phrase a person repeats in their mind. The little voice in their head, thinks like a little kid, saying "I want, I want, I want". Some people are more advanced and move on to "I need, I must maintain, I think." But some people are stuck on "I want", and never know how to handle not getting what they want all the time. So they say and do anything to get what they want all the time.

18. Kumar Registered Senior Member

No, but what about promoting Apoptosis(programmed cell death or cell's suicide) if defective as in cancer?

19. draqon Banned Banned

what about it? so now I should to Apoptosis/Harakiri on me to help society do well without my sober smile? well thanks pal.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Kumar Registered Senior Member

How you understood my post?

21. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Nothing related to society but to self. If anyone getting depression, it does not mean he will jump into well, normally. Alike if anyone getting such tendancies, it does not mean he will jump into well or otherwise. Can you or anyone explain physiological changes, which may occur in body due to getting empotions? I think effect on/via ANS is one chance.

Why can't our body system try to benefit/help us negatively, by locking or positively(means, differently)?

22. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I think the general consensus amongst the medical establishment and that includes alternative medicine as well is, that negative emotions, cynicism and depression can all contribute to bad health including cancer and heart disease. The reasons apparently are that negative people tend to do negative things such as too much smoking, drinking, drugs or simply just laying around and being inactive.

23. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I have to agree. That has been my consensus on cold emotions.