Cold fusion device in production

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by quantum_wave, Apr 26, 2011.

1. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

This cold fusion device is in production. After all the criticism of cold fusion and now it seems to turn out to be true.

http://www.peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Andrea_A._Rossi_Cold_Fusion_Generator

"Eng. Andrea A. Rossi and Professor Sergio Focardi of the University of Bologna (one of the oldest universities in the world [1]), have announced to the world that they have a cold fusion device capable of producing more than 10 kilowatts of heat power, while only consuming a fraction of that. On January 14, 2011, they gave the Worlds' first public demonstration of a nickel-hydrogen fusion reactor capable of producing a few kilowatts of thermal energy. At its peak, it is capable of generating 15,000 watts with just 400 watts input required. In a following test the same output was achieved but with only 80 watts of continual input."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

You're sure it's not the University of Bologny?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Can you say, "Get me off the grid?" I hope it is for real.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Phooey!!! This tripe had already been discussed here in another thread and was shot down. Please pay attention and refrain from taking us down old paths again.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'll believe it when it's in production.

9. kurros Registered Senior Member

I highly doubt cold fusion has been achieved with a device that looks like it is slapped together with pieces from a conventional hardware store. Extraordinary claims, extraordinary evidence, yada yada.

10. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

If I were to build such a device then to be honest and demonstrate it outputs more than input I've use some of the power produced to power it, ie I'd take 400W from the 15000W output and put it back into the machine, thus making it entirely self sufficient. That way you can unplug it from the wall and everyone can see it continue to run on its own. Then I'd just say "It produces 14,600W of power". That way you completely avoid the very real criticism of "How do we know it is running on its own? You've got it plugged in!".

For the demonstration it should have a short life capacitor, which can provide the required 400W (or 80W) for say 1 minute and then it is depleted. This gets it started and then it powers itself, producing the remainder as energy.

The fact they haven't done this simple thing, which would make it infinitely more appealing as a "Look, it's a self contained reactor!!" and be much more above reproach makes me question them.

11. kurros Registered Senior Member

I would guess that they think the extra energy is produced as heat or something, not electricity. And that they need some money to build a large scale working model that is big enough to drive a turbine...

Even so, it would be a ridiculously simple experiment to do something like put it in a well sealed box, stick in a little thermoelectric cooling unit to extract as much heat energy as is input electrically (the 400W) and see if the temperature in the box goes up anyway. One could easily measure how much energy was produced.

12. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Why be a jerk. Just link us to it.

13. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

The thread was back when the article came out (1/2011). If it were real, one would think we'd have heard more by now. But they are looking for some big money by going straight into production of commercial units for this Fall. So, pay up now and you'll find out then.

14. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

15. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Wasn't there another thread on it as well?

16. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

In the link I posted there was mention of previous cold fusion threads but the link was to the one that came out at the time. I thought that by now there would have been some news, verification, falsification ...

17. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Well, there was that alleged fusion-produced copper which was isotopically indistinguishable from the copper that you get at a hardware store which suggests the claims of particular fusion reactions is complete hooey.

http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=29188&view=findpost&p=483757

18. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

19. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Interesting comments in another discussion from http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=338&cpage=3#comment-33752

Phillip Newell
    April 18th, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    Dr. Rossi,

I have now obtained the Ni samples from our sputter chambers, if you want I will share the info but would prefer to do so in private. You have my e-mail send me yours and I will pass on the information after the ICPMS results are in.

Best Regards

Phil Newell

Andrea Rossi
    April 19th, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    Dear Ing. Phillip Newell:
    OK, I will contact you privately. I am curious.
    Warm regards,
    A.R.

20. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

Thing is bullshit, I'll wait for the lawsuit, how is the isotope of copper supposed to be non-radioactive when it's unstable.

21. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

According to Rossi the patents are pending. Doesn't mean much but it addresses the issue raised on the earlier thread:

Andrea Rossi
    April 22nd, 2011 at 2:01 AM
    Dear Mr Ravin:
    1- Every 6 months the modules are just changed, the recharge is made eventually in our factory
    2- all as scheduled, so far. Modules already under test for safety
    3- We will start in USA and Greece, where we are already organized. Then we will gradually expand
    4- we will give info at due moment
    5- patents are pending
    6- under examination
    7- No more public demos
    8- technologically we are ready
    9- continuing to honour us with your attention, so far.
    Warm Regards,
    A.R.

22. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

23. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Here are some links that make it more interesting. I've been following this since January waiting for the other shoe to drop. So far nothing that is clear evidence of a scam but there are nagging questions that have been raised regarding the experiments themselves. You'll note he has moved to a smaller unit then the January test. He apparently has them in different sizes.

http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_miljo/energi/article3108242.ece

http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_miljo/energi/article3144827.ece

Bottom line is that until he either builds the 1MW plant in Greece and thus shows that is legitimate on a commercial level he either won't get the patent or needs to wait potentially years for it.

Until then he won't reveal the catalyst that is being used to make the "magic" happen. There are many theories, including that it's an ellaborate scam but we are talking about many independent people involved that would be risking their reputations or we have to believe that these so called serious scientists are also very gullible themselves or somewhat inept at running a test. Which I guess is not out of the question.

Here is the one thing that keeps me watching. Rossi is funding the whole venture himself. He is not asking for any money and is claiming to not ask for a dime until the 1MW plant is delivered and satisifies the customer that it in fact works. If it doesn't work he gets nothing, he is also giving a few units to the Univ of Bologna for further study to better understand what is occuring to see if they can't improve the effeciency. This is at least what is coming out. I haven't seen thus far him asking for any donations.

The plant is supposed to be done in October. I'll give him to November, if in December he starts asking for money then we will have our answer.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011