Cold fusion reasearch should be conducted

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Science Geek, Jun 1, 2001.

1. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

To all who are saying a coverup is going on

When Pons and Fleischman announced cold fusion in 1988/89 the scientific community called for the evidence. That is, they wanted the specific details on how this works.

Simply put, cold fusion flies in the face of accepted wisdom and if it where true would be a major breakthrough. So, the scientists wanted the details in order to reproduce the experiments. This is a cornerstone of science, reproducibility. Anything published in scientific journals is public domain, open to all.

Pons and Fleischman refused to publish the details. They, and they alone, had the option to give cold fusion to the world and make it free of charge, in the public domain. They refused.

In the mean time cold fusion researchers make lots of money from private grants to make it work. No one, has yet published a paper describing the method or a working patent. Pons and Fleischman, the last I heard, where outside the US. So they can publish without fear of the US government/oil cartels silencing them.

Using their data and experiments as evidence that big business/governments are scared then becomes a non sequitor.

This becomes a simple case of people making lots of money to conduct research without producing results.

Can we say, gravy train for life?

BTW, in 1989 my next door neighbour and friend was a Ph.D physcs student in a low-energy physics lab at http://www.rhbnc.ac.uk. His lab was one of the many who tied to reproduce cold fusion. They could not despite 10 of them pulling 10, 18 hour days. They wanted it to work as well.

Dave "perpetuum mobile" Barlow

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Big Hairy Jimbo Registered Member

Hmmm the Cold Fusion Confusion!!!

How did the Universe get here. Did it explode from nothing?
    How is it the Universe is expanding, creating space from nothing?
    How does the double slit experiment work?

All of the above questions still baffle science, so lets not can cold fusion just yet. Some of the most interesting parts of science have come from mistakes, and have been hard to reproduce. Recently experiments have taken place that show superluminal velocities can happen, ie faster than the speed of light. In fact some labs have made light go at 300x the speed of light. Weren't we all told this was impossible once???

I believe cold fusion or zero point energy is real, its just a matter of time before someone nuts it out. The universe is stranger than we think, so lets keep at the free energy idea. Scientific laws, or theories, are constantly modified and updated. I'm sure the energy laws, and thermodynamics will eventually fall to more upto date theories. If we stop trying we are doomed, so lets see more energy contraptions in sheds being built. The only part of this whole free energy stuff I cant stand, is when people introduce conspiracy crap. Come on people, leave the conspiracy crap alone, its got nothing to do with real science. If I could make a box today that could pump out "free" energy, I'd be an instant millionaire, I would demonstrate the machine all over TV and magazines etc, the whole world would know I had done it. As for the US trying to keep an oil economy going, I think the US would love to stop being dependant on the middle east for oil supplies. We could achieve so much with an unlimited energy supply, the world really would be changed. Hmmmm, if we could get enough people interested, then everyone donate $10 to a bank account/trust fund (I dont know how we would do it without the fear of being ripped off), we could donate money towards fusion research. Now this would be worth while, all investors would reap the rewards of whatever is discovered. But how do we set up such a scheme without people thinking its a big con job? Any ideas? We would need millions of people to participate & donate in order to fund worth while experiments.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hi Big Hairy Jimbo,

<i>How did the Universe get here. Did it explode from nothing?
    How is it the Universe is expanding, creating space from nothing?
    How does the double slit experiment work?
    All of the above questions still baffle science...</i>

We know the answer to the first question, at least in its broad details. As for the second, various cosmological general relativistic models describe the process very well. The third question is amply addressed by quantum mechanics.

<i>In fact some labs have made light go at 300x the speed of light. Weren't we all told this was impossible once???</i>

That's a popular misconception. Some things regularly go faster than light. The 300x thing involved a pulse of light, and is in accordance with the theory of relativity. The things which can't go faster than light are massive objects and information.

<i>I believe cold fusion or zero point energy is real, its just a matter of time before someone nuts it out.</i>

Zero point energy is a well defined concept in quantum physics. It is real and there is experimental evidence for it. In contrast, there is absolutely no evidence for cold fusion, and therefore no reason to believe in it aside from blind faith.

<i>...Any ideas? We would need millions of people to participate & donate in order to fund worth while experiments.</i>

Governments and industry already fund worthwhile research of many types, though scientists could always use more money. Taxpayers contribute to research indirectly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I think much more money should be allocated to research projects and science in general. If it weren't for science we'd still be living in caves trying to break open turtles for food.

Science has the potential to get us to other stars and planets, cure some of the most ravaging diseases of the present day, provide almost limitless energy, explain how our world works, discover new dimensions and ways to exploit them... the list is literally endless.

Suppose the US spent even 1/10 of it's military budget (~$3 trillion from what I understand) more on science, imagine how much we could discover in just a year. Universities should also be free to attend, or at least a lot less.

Military is a stupid waste of money, if the entire world dispensed with it's military after WW2 and replaced that spending with science we might already be utilizing cold fusion.