Cold Fusion Sabotaged

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Singularity, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The organizations that sell us "energy" are old and are able to take a longer view than the next five years. Just to built new plants, they have to take a longer view.

Sometimes it isn't about profit so much as it is about control. Someone is controlling the nickel-metal hydride battery with the express purpose of making it inconvenient to use in vehicles and that's definitely about control, not about short-term profits. I learned that here. This prevents a lot of the production of electric vehicles by smaller manufacturers. This in turn prevents the popularity of electrical vehicles from growing and so on.

Cold fusion electrical generators and good batteries would mean that anyone could plug their vehicle into the generator and be essentially energy independent. This would change what they consider to be some essential balances of power. Dependency generates a lot more profits for every profiteer than the short term profits generated by the sale of some nice new devices.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

If what the proponents of cold fusion say is true, then a cold fusion electrical generator could be manufactured and sold for about the same price as a top of the line refrigerator or home entertainment system. Such a generator could supply a household energy need for literally the cost of water. And if quality conscious manufacturers built in durability, such a generator could possibly last much longer than a good household appliance.

Energy giant corporations could not possibly keep a strangle hold on every customer.

The worldwide consumer energy annual cost is very roughly 5 trillion US.

Of course, nobody can possibly believe that energy moguls would lift their little finger to keep their cut of 5 trill flowing into their own pockets. Right?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Singularity Banned Banned

weed eater guy

World is not as it looks to u

I have very good practical ideas about creating dirt cheap power, but i am scared as i might be killed or denied patents or simply my invention stolen and used to control.

You should watch the Tesla video to understand what i am saying, just look how Tesla suffered as other made trillions on his invention. I hope u r aware about Tesla's life story.
    If not then understand why or who controls stories. And how come Edison is more famous.

http://www.torrentportal.com/details/27752/Tesla - Master Of Lightning.torrent.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Et tu brute.

8. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

In whatever country cold fusion may be developed, it will be in the hands of the military for as long as they need it. Whether to develop new methods of killing or to improve current weaponry, we will not see it until it is tested against some poor unfortunate nation, ala Gulf War style.

So keep your heads up ...or down... and hope like hell your side already has it.

9. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Cold fusion is such a weak effect, even if it is real (which I doubt) that you would have trouble making a firecracker using it. Hot fusion, however makes a very good weapon if you want to blow things up.

10. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Never underestimate military thinking. Who says you have to blow things up to be an effective killer?

11. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

The original recognition of magnetism was such a weak effect that a lodestone would barely lift a very small object.

Now a magnet the size of your computer can lift a bus without raising a drop of sweat.

If cold fusion is real, who can say how much more powerful its ability is? It would be much more terrifying to imagine that a thermonuclear device could be detonated at room temperature by a conglomeration of batteries and tubes of water, than to need a nuclear device fueled with Uranium.

12. Singularity Banned Banned

CANGAS has an interesting point.

If we know exactly how CF works, then we can increasing its effective power by manipulating the conditions in its favor.

And vola, all the terrorist will make our planet Bloom.

13. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Actually....

According to what little web searching I've done (wiki "cold fusion"), a cold fusion apperatus is fairly simple with the exeption of that fact that one would either have to produce or get a hold of heavy-hydrogen water. Heavy-hydrogen water is fairly toxic, you don't want to drink the stuff, and I havn't been able to find it for sale commercially (gee, i wonder why), however if one were so inclined, one could build a distillery that used the fact that heavy-hydrogen water's vapor preassure is 5.5% less then that of normal water. A distillery is not hard to make if you can keep the temperatures and preasures inside well-regulated.

Palladium (for the electrode where the cold fusion supposedly takes place) is actually available for purchase on some online retailers in super-purity form for about $355/oz, cheaper than gold prices...

http://www.apmex.com/shop/buy/Palladium_Bars_and_Rounds.asp?orderid=0

So, theoredically, it doesn't seem horribly difficult. I'd imagine a home distillery, the cold fusion apparatus, power, and a computer to manage everything would run about 10 thousand dollars or so (less than upper-middle class people might usually pour into a hobby over a year or so), and would all fit comfortably in a basement. If cold fusion was a reality, why wouldn't those that believed in it build their own apparatus to prove it to the world? Or, even more so, why havn't colleges done this with their own equipment, when many of them are well-equiped to perform this experiment?

This is why I think it's not a cover-up.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  14. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Deuterium oxide aka heavy water is harmless (you could drink a liter or two and never know the difference. Don't know if you could live on it, probably could.) and freely available for purchase by the public. It isn't all that expensive, although I don't recall the current price.

15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

really? wow, I couldn't find that stuff anywhere... and i thought wiki said because it's unstable and spitting off neutrons that it's not safe to drink

16. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Deuterium is the next heaviest isotope of hydrogen. It is very stable, as isotopes go, and is a relatively safe substance.

Tritium is one more step heavier in hydrogen isotopes, is unstable and really dangerously radioactive.

17. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Deuterium oxide isn't regulated at all that I know of. As Cangus says, its stable. The biggest problem is that it doesn't have a lot of uses and finding a distributer that will sell in the quantities you want could be a challenge. Try a chemical or lab supply house.

Tritium is another matter. Again as Cangus says it is very dangerous (halflife ~10.5 years by beta decay iirc) and is extremely tightly regulated. Mostly because the main use is for tritium boosted fission primaries and tritium initiation of fusion secondaries...yep, nuclear weapons. Not something most governments want in the average persons hands. Also used in tokomacs etc, controlled fusion research. The only civilian use I have ever heard of is in an oddball "red-dot" firearm sight. Glowed in the dark. Seriously. Never caught on, LED's worked better anyway.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  18. Singularity Banned Banned

When u do all that stuff, let us know how u are being defamed and roughed up by government forces as soon as u come out of your basement with positive results.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Market sense:

Let's say I discovered cold fusion and I pattented it. I might sell it cheaper than the current price of energy (let's say 10% or as low as they are willing to match my price), but it is against my financial interest to sell it VERY cheap.
    So it is possible that cold fussion would only lower the price of energy and would have a long term impact but not a short quick free energy use for all effect.
    Ponderable: Would energy wars disappear?

20. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I have no interest in doing this myself (unless someone wants to drop about ten g's in my lap, but that'd likely go to my tuition at this point...), I was just saying, it's not like it's a difficult setup. if a researcher wanted to do this in the spirit of giving the world free energy, they could probably do so.

thanks for the info on deuritium, i did not know it was availabe like that.

21. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I wonder anomalous. You say these things happen, but do you have an example of even one incident?

22. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

In the 1970s there was a wristwatch that used tritium for a light cell of an LCD watch, and yes they had LCD watches back then. Parts of LCD watches were made of stone, too (quartz crystal).

Anyway, I have read that deuterium oxide is available as a byproduct of the manufacture of hydrogen sulfide. A 99.9 percent pure sample of 10 ml of deuterium is available on Ebay for about $50 US. The molecular weight of D2O is 20 and small change. 4 of that 20 is D, so that's 2 grams of deuterium. So someone figure out, when deuterium can be had for $50 for 2 grams, how much that works out to per kilowatt-hour when fused and converted to electrical energy at some arbitrary level of efficiency.

23. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Some cold fusion experimenters have claimed results using ordinary ( though pure, as in distilled ) water or other chemicals much easier to obtain than deuterium, or, heavy water. It is conceivable that advances could allow use of tap water, IF cold fusion really is real.

I believe my very rough estimate of the annual consumer cost of energy of 5 trillion US may be quite low. Say it is 20 trillion.

If you had the sole right to the profit from 20 trillion per year for at least 20 years, could you see fit to take a SMALL amount of profit by reducing drastically the cost to the consumer? Do you realize how many hours every day you would have to work at just spending your money in order to spend just 1 % of 20 trillion US?

Your biggest problem would actually be the safety of yourself and all your loved ones as soon as some important energy mogul realized that you could monopolize the energy market. If you don't ALREADY have a secret chalet on the dark side side of Pluto, you better think twice before you prove the success of your energy invention to ANYONE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.