Comet and Aurora Over Alaska

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Apr 22, 2002.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Comet and Aurora Over Alaska
    Credit & Copyright: Dennis Mammana (Skyscapes)
    Can you spot the comet? Flowing across the frozen Alaskan landscape is an easily visible, colorful aurora. Just to the lower left, however, well in the background, is something harder to spot: Comet Ikeya-Zhang, the brightest comet of recent years. Although the aurora faded in minutes, the comet is just now beginning to fade. It remains just barely visible without aid, however, before sunrise in the East. The comet is actually a giant dirt-covered snowball that spends most of its time in the outer Solar System -- to where it is now returns. The above photograph was taken on March 20 when Comet Ikeya-Zhang was near its brightest. Careful inspection of the photo will uncover several other sky delights, including the giant galaxy M31.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

The arura are so beautiful

One day im going to go to antartica to see the arura australis for myself

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The natural universe around us is by far the sexiest thing around. This is why I don't get people who see material wealth as a goal in itself. Meaningless bits of paper and stuff. Things like the aurora can't be owned, and are far better to have (in mind) than any money.

Same here Asguard. One of my main goals is to see the aurora, either north or south.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Oooohhhh, neato!!!!