Concerning moderation, view from members

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Reiku, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

When the cliques here begin to lay off me and just accept I am Reiku, and atleast back for now, then why should I try other than expressing my points of view?

Half the times it feels like a loosing battle. :shrug:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

head vs. wall

My parents' generation calls it, "Choosing your battles".

I've heard it referred to, in various contexts, as, "Knowing the score."

Or we could even try a Star Wars metaphor: If you really think we're so evil, then stop attacking our death star with cruisers and try a stunt fighter.

It's like the proverbial switchback mountain road, you know. There's no reason you must go slow and make all those turns. Indeed, it's a quicker run to the bottom if you don't. But .... Well, right. Can you fill in that blank? It's a quicker run to the bottom if you don't, but ______.

Sometimes it's less satisfying in any given moment to undertake slower, more laborious methods, but the actual gratification one can claim when finally and unquestionably achieving a triumphant outcome is generally worth it.

Well, if you simply beat your head against the wall, your opponent doesn't need to throw a punch.

Your topic post in this thread, for instance. Even before the eagle-pecked fire-thief responded, it was clear to me that this thread wasn't intended to actually achieve anything. And the only reason I haven't put on my green hat and closed this thread is that I would actually expect doing so to make things worse and hasten your departure.

You are not doing yourself any favors, and if we become convinced that you have no intention of doing anything other than putting a target on your forehead so you can complain when someone takes a shot ... well, it's simply not going to help anyone.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

i'll ask plazma to delete that
    all it does is reflect the sentiments of an bygone era and apparently confuses some. noob much, kitt?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

just stay in the newly created forum.
    you might be just what it needs to hone the rules there.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, if you read the rules, it says complaints about moderators in any forum... so technically, no, I'm not wrong

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

At least not by the standing rules.

None the less, my point stands - sometimes it's better to be diplomatic than to attempt to arm wrestle a wookie.

9. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I disagree. This was a case where the moderator needed moderating. He still does not see what he did as wrong, and argues the point on another thread.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And in that case, take the issue up with a supermod or admin... don't continue to rant and rave instead of taking things to the higher ups like a civilized person.

11. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I never started this thread, but I had to prove Prometheus lied in the other thread as he was starting in on me. All I have done is agree with Mister. I would have opened a thread about Prometheus if Mister had not though. He gives all the mods a bad name if he were allowed to keep doing that.

This is the first time I ever felt a moderator here was .... (refraining from P's & Q's)

That mod censored threads based on his holier than thou opinion. Look at the other thread where he admits it. If this argument keeps alive then I will start posting his admissions from that thread.

And besides James R. did say Prometheus did not act appropriately and restored a post from the cesspool to science, so administration was not only reached by the method Mister chose, but received a positive response.

If this was your website wouldn't you want to know if some know it all moderator was abusing his station, and driving people from the site.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Mate, that isn't my point - and if james has already addressed it, then the higher-ups have acknowledged the issue and you can be sure are reviewing it. My point is, don't air poop-stained tighty-whities where the neighbors can see them... in other words, don't hang your dirty laundry for all the world to see. A simple PM to another moderator or super-mod would suffice.

13. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Not my dirty laundry. If it was a simple honest mistake then I'd be fine with what you have suggested. Prometheus had gone out of his way to be rude concerning the entire thing from day one, and then proceeded to do something similar the following day as if to say F.U. I could care less if moderators do or do not agree. The point has been made and if he/she gets further complaints from others in the future then it may resonate with the administration then.

I am in favor of these threads being closed however as I think the point was made days ago. I also disagree with the number of threads on the topic.

14. MisterII Banned Banned

Yeah, don't matter any more. I've committed suicide by making another account and to be honest this is what I want. I don't like this site any more. I don't like it's members, apart from a few. They don't like me.

So what is a better option than to have done what I did and this aint a hollow promise, one agreement me and james came to was that if I created any more sock puppets, the previous mister will be banned and I will be banned as well.

So... what would be the difference, mister is well on his way for a permaban, for stupid reasons like ''abuse of the report button''... i mean seriously? I did no such thing and if it sounded sarcastic, then FUCK YOU!

I'm off, thanks kwilborn, you have been a good friend. I won't forget you!

15. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I heartily recommend any time one feels a little grumpy, don't post here god dammit. It really pisses me off. AAAAAAArgh. I'm outta hear.

16. kwhilborn Banned Banned

You mean "here".

17. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

1) If a permaban is what you wish, I would happily oblige, especially after this little display of immaturity...

2) "I did no such thing"... except I have the e-mail from the forum informing me of your reporting the post. Boldface lying about what happened won't get you very far...

3) Yes, I know he's rebanned already

19. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I used the report button 3 times in as many days, when I had never used it in my prior 5 years at this website.

I think Mister overreacted, but not much. Prometheus was editing posts and moving topics to the cesspool. That is indisputable.

It is also indisputable that the Sciforums administrator took the topic from the cesspool and put it in science, and also said Prometheus should not be editing posts.

20. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

*Sigh* I have challenged you before to prove this claim by linking to a post that says edited by prometheus on... at the bottom of it without the bright red [color]Mod note...[/color] somewhere in the post to indicate exactly what was changed, and you haven't done it.

Frankly, I'm getting rather fed up of this lie.

Well looky, I just disputed it.

This is also not true. The thread that was moved to the cesspool was merged with the second one mister created in Alternative theories, which then was shifted around all over the place to I-know-not-where.

21. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Prometheus

Fine!

If you want to keep a thread going that discusses how you screwed up as a moderator I am fine with that. Let's keep it going indefinitely.

Censor accordingly you mean/say.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

If you know all facts and opinions then why even bother being in a forum unless it is to dole out your supreme knowledge to the masses.

Prometheus, you admitted to deleting a post from him, and if you cannot understand that is editing then you shouldn't be here. Maybe attend grade school.

Here is your admission...
    and now you admit it again

I explained in the other thread that the post deleted was a statement of mathematical fact that was wrong. It's not because I disagreed with it (although I clearly did)

Yes; but anybody who can read (might exclude you apparently) also saw that he said this approach to the problem was wrong. The way you edited it made it look like that was his view. If you had not edited it you would have seen that he said this is wrong because... etc, etc.. Get glasses.

Next."

So basically you deleted something you disagreed with. That is not the way mods should behave and thank god James R. agrees. So watch your mouth when you call people a filthy liar, because i just proved you are a filthy liar with a attitude problem.

Maybe your memory is too slow these days, but it was in the BIAS thread post # 6. maybe you can go edit out your admission liar.

So I now call you a filthy liar, and proved it. See; name calling can work both ways. However my case is more applicable.

It also appears you are the type who refuses to admit when they are WRONG!

Looks like this thread will be going back and forth for a looooong time. I did suggest this link be locked a long time ago, as you have started into name calling and that is just childish.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

kwhilborn:

I suggest you let this go. Now.

And you can apologise to prometheus for your "filthy liar" slur. Or else, please post links to where prometheus lied and links to the proof that he lied.

You are walking a fine line here. It looks a lot like you're trolling now.

23. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ James R,

It was Prometheus who called me a filthy liar, and I proved him wrong. Look at this quote from him/her

I do not go around name calling, but Prometheus seems to think it is appropriate so I used the same terms back.

He/She calls me a "filthy liar" for claiming his deletion of a post was editing.

I stand by what I said. Deleting a post is editing.

I did not start the name calling, and in fact asked for that thread to be closed several times.

I did indeed call him/her a filthy liar after this, and after I proved he edited posts, as in my last post here.

He/She owes me an apology, but I won't hold my breath.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111315&page=4
    @ James R.,
    Before judging people, READ post 66 and 67 on that page carefully, and note how I asked the thread to be closed at the end of my post.

@ James R.,
    Your moderator went all "crazy" starting with post 67 in the thread I linked. In response to post 66.

I will not apologize for turning someone's lack of language skills back on them, and think you missed that I was defending myself.

He claims deleting cannot be construed as editing, but The author was "notorious" for spreading his thoughts out over several posts. Deleting a post from "Mister/Reiku" or anyone is editing.

I did prove that the posts were admittedly deleted by Prometheus comments such as,

or
    (Mister had claimed this method was wrong, and prometheus apparently could not read that, and imposed his censorship.)

I put more proof in the other thread. I showed I did not lie, and in fact prometheus is lying.

etc, etc.. It's all in the Bias thread, and you will also see I was campaigning to have those threads closed. Even in my last post I said right at the top I am surprised he wants to keep the threads going.

@ James R.,
    you asked --
    I gave the links that showed where Prometheus lied. I also gave several quotes. I also showed Prometheus started in with the "filthy liar" comments.

I also showed where I have repeatedly asked that these threads be closed because they are just stupid bickering. I suggested it at the top of my last post, and also in almost every post I have posted on these threads.

For these reasons I think if any apology is owed it should be directed towards me. (not holding breath.)

Not only did he call me a Filthy Liar in the last thread in which I PROVED it was him, but he is immature enough to start out with the liar accusations in this thread. I apologize to James R, and the rest of the moderators here but I must honestly say I think Prometheus is an ass, and pretty much proved it.

@ james R.,
    You may notice almost all of my posts in these threads say that the thread should be closed. I have been trying to "let it go", but am not going to be called a liar by anyone.

If I have lost my welcome on Sciforums because I find this moderator borderline ridiculous then I guess I can live with that. I would not want to be a part of any "censored" discussion that moderator has control of anyway.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011