Congress to slash funding for Global Warming research at NASA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kittamaru, Feb 21, 2017.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

That is fine with me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

LOL! I just posted that exact same article here:
    Glad to see you got on the same page though. And you said:
    So are you now backpedaling to it only being a contributory cause, instead of an "initiating cause"?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Really? You made no claim?

If it "does not lag" then it must either match or lead warming. Either way, it is a claim that you should support, if you're at all intellectually honest. But we all know you won't, because you aren't.

You'll just continue to get more mealy-mouthed.
    So a stable, 75 year rate of ocean warming accounts for a hiatus in atmospheric warming over only the last decade?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. It started the warming. There were other factors, of course - but it was the largest.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Apparently you don't know the difference between CO2 "initiating warming" and CO2 "boosting warming".

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Logic isn't your thing, is it.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Or honesty.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And I don't know which you will decide it does. Nor do I care. It makes absolutely no difference. Even if I'm wrong and this last one did lag as well - so what? We have a CO2 boost, and it's warming the planet just like physics says it will.
    Easily could, in several ways, some described above for you. Big ocean, high specific heat of water, phase change of ice, currents and such, you recall?
    As noted, it's a technical issue best handled by the pros. They say the ocean took it. I see no reason to doubt them - and it doesn't change anything in the basic situation. Why do you care?
    No, it doesn't matter at all to me. The current situation with the CO2 boost doesn't change regardless.
    The graphs of the last few centuries of temperature and CO2 that have been published and updated every year for your entire adult life are public record, and if you aren't paying attention to them why should we bother to repeat basic instruction over and over?

The only relevant aspect of your take here is the fact that so many share it in the US - they have no source of information except guys like you. So when the Republicans cut research funding, the satellites go blank, the records are no longer kept and the phenomena no longer measured, a hole in the data will be available to be filled with your drivel. Right now we can backstop reason with graphs of measurements, and those who like you find reason an alien world have to make absurd and less persuasive denials of stubborn fact.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Usually it's only week-ends.

14. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Definitions aren't your thing, are they.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why do you hate coal miners?

16. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Your two questions are inconsistent with each other, and also baseless.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

I think that's his point . . . .

18. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Well at least your abdicating the claim you refuse to support. I guess that's progress.
    Mindless appeal to authority. Do oceans absorb more heat the warmer they get (i.e. specific heat drops)? Do you have zero curiosity for the things you advocate? Blind acceptance is a trait of religion, not science.
    Yes, we already got that you are abdicating the claim you refuse to support, although I'd be surprised if you quit making it.
    I've repeatedly asked for evidence that CO2 doesn't lag temperature....crickets. If you have any, certainly you would prefer to tell me off rather than keep looking the fool.
    You keep talking about graphs and measures you repeatedly refuse to cite, while dismissing questions even you admit to not knowing the answer to.
    Stick to reading your pop-sci articles and leave the debates to your "pros".

19. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Federal agencies plan to spend $27 billion on global warming-related programs in 2017

That's 540,000 teachers.
    or 5400 miles of new highways
    or rebuilding 20% of the nation's defective bridges every year.

So, spending 540,000 teachers on an unproven scientific claim makes sense to you?

20. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

And what would that have to do with me then?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are being dishonest. Climate change is the scientific consensus. Almost no scientists disagree.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

The science is quite well proven, and has been for some time.

I'd much rather spend 540,000 teachers on proven science than 1,300,000 teachers on a wall we don't need - or 12,000,000 teachers on war.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

1. Some of that money is allocated to teaching kids about science.
    2. Ha ha, you read World Net Daily.