Consciousness after "death"

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Kellisness, Mar 8, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Life is the cause of death? Interesting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Well can you think of anyone who didn't die in the end?
    We only "die" because we're alive in the first place.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Many, many many years ago a friend pointed out to me how ridiculous the Batman TV was when Batman was trapped and the announcer stated something along the lines "Each ticking second brings our hero closer to his doom..."
    My friend's comment was "Isn't that true for everyone?"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Yes.
    So we can say consciousness after "death" is valid If and only if memory exists.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Exists as an "object" you mean?
    Good luck with that.
    And then you have to show that it also remains intact...:shrug:

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The causation here is still not clear.

Sure. But mostly, we are not aware of it, and often, only sci-fi makes us aware of this phenomenon.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I'm not implying "causation" as such, just pointing out that if we didn't live at all then we wouldn't die.
    It's that simple.

Which also speaks to the point above: we're "dying" from the second we're conceived - being alive leads inevitably to death. It's what we all have waiting for us, regardless of lifestyle, wealth or diet.

Nothing profound, just the obvious.

10. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Electricity exists as an object although it moves very fast at times. As long as the DNA has not been impeded the memory can still be retrieved. If the DNA in your skull has been compromised the memory is still intact even if it takes an intense memory exercise to bring back. Still If you make a clone it would not have the same memories because the electrons around the atoms making the clones composition contain different electrons than the original body.

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Irrelevant.

Assumption.

An electron is an electron is an electron.
    Any given electron is indistinguishable from all others.

12. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Relevant if I am saying electrons hold the potential to capture what we know as memories. Despite how our brain manages to get them to encircle an atom or groups of atoms.

I only assumed the DNA had not broken it's shackles. Which only god can do.

With the exception of the ones in your brain that hold consciousness. The information has to be inscribed somewhere on the imagination. Even if it floated through the nothingness it would have to encircle something to keep its deterministic path. The only thing I see moving through my body at this speed is electric, therefore it has to carry this information. Stored in something central to every cell.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Nope.

What?

Broken its shackles?
    God? What god? You're getting confused again.

Supposition again.

Ho hum...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  14. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

I was referring to the god in your world where DNA disappears and electrons fly out of the body the second "death" occurs.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

16. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

That's all consciousness is; a vat of electronic signals mediated by nerves and stored somewhere in the brain as memories. Just because the body stops ticking doesn't mean its crucial parts have disappeared.

17. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

What "crucial parts" do you mean?

18. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

DNA, neurons, hippocampus. Basically the things that remain in their place after death, just like the "consciousness".

Hippocampus- "Since different neuronal cell types are neatly organized into layers in the hippocampus, it has frequently been used as a model system for studying neurophysiology. The form of neural plasticity known as long-term potentiation (LTP) was first discovered to occur in the hippocampus and has often been studied in this structure. LTP is widely believed to be one of the main neural mechanisms by which memory is stored in the brain."-wikipedia

19. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

???

You cannot be serious.
    Just because these chemicals and organs 'remain' after death, it doesn't follow that they remain the same. Which is to say, even if they collectively were identical (as you assume...) with consciousness, upon death, they cease to be active.

20. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Inactive does not mean consciousness was destroyed. The materials still exists for reanimation. It still holds the same information.

21. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

According to most conventional biomedical knowledge, I'm afraid it does.

Sorry, there's no such thing as reanimation.

Actually, it doesn't hold any information at all.

22. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

so you didn't learn anything from my chopping the head off point?

so under your logic, we should not use the paddles to bring this one back. That gives me some insight into how you would like to die peacefully as nature intended.

Think of it like a head before and after it got chopped off. It still has the information, Just not the methods of expression for the desired information.

23. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

You made no point..

That's not reanimation.
    And it's not a matter of "logic", but of knowledge.

Incorrect.
    Cellular decay rapidly destroys 'information'. Moreover, it's not only death that destroys information: a simple insufficiency of oxygen, or imbalance of certain mineral ions (sodium, potassium..) can render information spoilt. What's worse, you're again equating "consciousness" with 'information.

You really should do some more high school medical research if you're going to try to support such a position.