Conservative people in science are boring .

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by river, Mar 28, 2017.

1. river

Conservatism in science is boring and never discovers anything .

They are the simple people in science .

They have no imagination , no concept of outside the box , never will .

Most are , industrial scientist .

Never research scientist , acually no , research scientist can be and are conservative dolts.

Scientists the real GOOD ones are few and far between .

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

Oh when I leave this site , now , all these cowards will suddenly come out of the wood work , to vilify me . Understand you lot , I'm aware of your cowardness .

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

river:

The discovery of the Higgs boson is a recent example that proves you wrong. There, conservative scientists waited until they had sufficient data to point to the Higgs boson's existence with 5 sigma confidence. It's an important discovery.

Out of interest, how many industrial or research scientists have you personally met?

Like posters internet forums, I guess.

Are you leaving us, river?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What about James Watson?
    In 2007 Watson said "I turned against the left wing because they don't like genetics, because genetics implies that sometimes in life we fail because we have bad genes. They want all failure in life to be due to the evil system."[77]

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Gee, this isn't simply a post to troll is it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

I'm guessing that the OP does not know a single scientist personally, has no experience of a scientific (or any academic) environment, and has not the slightest idea of what makes a good scientist. The thread just looks like sour grapes to me, but please disabuse me if you like.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Conservatism is generally orthogonal to science (at least until recently.) However, even now, being a conservative scientist does not mean that they "never discover anything."
    Most scientists are industrial scientists, period.

11. wellwisher Banned Banned

Science is not self sufficient in terms of resources. Science is beholden to others for its resources. This is business, government and private donation. This means that the money and resource host will have certain expectations that will place certain limits on what you can and cannot do; mercenary science.

Therefore, getting access to the needed resources is often dependent on the politics of compliance. For example, during the Obama years, global warming and climate change had to be part of you science goal and lip service to get funding. If you went outside that box, your resources were cut off. This how you form consensus. You stack the deck with resources for the science you want.

Science is also a career and job, that pays bills and feeds the family. If you wish to own a summer home, you may decide it is better not get too creative outside the box, but rather try to find the safest place in the box. This who really wish to have two summer homes may have to practice politics and complete tests of loyalty to the providers of resources. You may be expected to beat down of any deserter who dares go near the edge.

Most scientists, at a younger age, saw the idealism of science and imagined the big discovery outside the box, that will shake the world. But as you start your first job, and progress in your career, professional safety and survival may require you repress your youthful idealism, and appease the providers of resources. This can make you appear conservative.

I am not conservative in science. I can do this, not because I have my own resources, but because I have learned not require, much. Einstein supported himself, early on, as a clerk. Unfortunately, science union rules, which favors the providers, require expensive studies, before it will be called science. This is how they keep out non loyalist. Anyone can publish if you have enough resources, since money is the bottom line in science. But good theory, without resource support, is taboo, since it impacts the control of the providers and makes the hypocrites self conscious, since they had to kiss butt and play by the rules.

12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Fortunately, they do not exist for your entertainment - or anyone's entertainment.
    Their task is to test, retest, and measure and measure and test again. To do the actual, painstaking, exacting, accurate, routine, boring work of science.
    Inspiration comes but rarely; work continues always. Without it, brakes fail, bridges collapse, food becomes toxic, and you have to undergo surgery with an unsterilized knife and no anaesthetic.
    Find your excitement elsewhere, but don't diss the industrial scientist.

13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Those who can... Do. Those who cant teach... Then there is river.
    River your generalisations hide the truth.. You dont want to hide the truth do you?
    Alex

14. river

No

Conservative scientists and people have their place , always .

The scientists that break new ground ; that have profound new thinking on anything in science are those that think out side the box .

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

First it has to be found to then be hidden

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Of course conservatism never discovers anything but I can imagine scientists discovering something.
    Alex

17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Science is mostly about understanding the box.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.