Contradictions

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Flash, Dec 27, 1999.

1. Flash Registered Senior Member

Searcher,
    Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I agree totally with you!

TS,
    My answer is yes I have

Lori,
    No, never heard that one before LOL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. truestory Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

On tithing... Yes, I realize that Catholics "give" to the church. I believe that members of Catholic parishes even use an "envelope" system. I have never heard a Catholic refer to their contributions as "tithings", however. Perhaps it's due to geographic lingo, east-coast/west-coast, but... I associate the word "tithing" more with other denominations.

Thanks for the web site. However, some of the excerpts, the one from the Pope for example, seemed pretty vague with respect to "tithing" and could have been interpreted along the lines of being "generous" - not necessarily by giving to the "church" but - by giving to others in need as Jesus Christ would have us do.

It almost seemed as if the author was trying to make it fit their purpose. Just my opinion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. truestory Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

First, let me say that those who are not pure of heart, those who take the life, teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ lightly, those who are not truly repentant, those who don't strive to be more Christlike and who use the blood of Christ as an "excuse" for their sins will not be forgiven. As I said previously, God will know if one is serious or not. God knows what is in one's heart. It is not for us to judge.

Apparently, God's gift of the immaculate conception, the life, teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ were all "necessary" and, if we used our free will to accept them, (because I believe that we all understand them), the lessons given to us through God in the flesh serve our souls very well. That is why God came in the form of Jesus Christ... to provide a service and bestow a great gift upon mankind. Unfortunately, as God explained to us, even His most loving of gifts would not be accepted by all of us.

Jesus Christ is God in the flesh. God came to us in the form of Jesus Christ to show us the way to eternal salvation with God. Through both words and example we were taught how to live and how to relate to God and each other by the most perfect human being that ever dwelled on this earth. The most virtuous Jesus Christ taught us patience, wisdom, joy, peace and right relationships through love.

Through the end of His life and His death, Jesus also taught us courage under persecution. Through his death and resurrection, we were taught not to be afraid of those who can kill the body but after that can do no more. For, if we accept Jesus into our hearts, if we become more pure of heart like Jesus, if we love God and our neighbor the way Jesus taught us, then, like Jesus, after our mortal death, we will be resurrected into eternal life with God.

Yes, it was necessary because prior to that, mankind, in general, was depraved. Mankind had lost its way. Mankind was on the road to eternal death without God. God came in the form of Jesus Christ to save us from eternal death and, through His life, death and resurrection, to show us the way to eternal life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

true'-

I have a little question for you:

What if someone ends up following the teachings of Jesus, but has never heard his words? This person happens to end up living a virtuous and good life, almost exactly to the letter of God, but doesn't actually know about God and Jesus as such. Would that person be granted salvation?

Just curious what you think of that scenario.

8. truestory Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

If one does not "know" God through the baptism of Jesus Christ, one cannot share everlasting life "with" God. That is why it is SOOOO important to spread the Word of God to everyone!

However, an individual, such as the one you described, would not be "condemned" either. It is my understanding that their's would be an eternal state of natural happiness but one that is separated from God.

PS - Don't be upset... Just corrected "baptism"...

[This message has been edited by truestory (edited December 29, 1999).]

9. Searcher Registered Senior Member

TS,

I believe your last post should have been addressed to SkyeBlue, in which case you are not, to my knowledge, bound to any promise not to edit the message.

But why was blood sacrifice EVER necessary to atone for one's sins? Have you ever thought about how that practice was REALLY started, and what, if anything, it ever achieved (besides keeping the priests fat and happy)? It's my feeling that these questionable practices were required by MEN - not God.

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

10. truestory Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

Well... another case of mistaken identity! Thanks, I'll try to be more careful in the future.

As for the sacrifice thing, I'll have to look into the Old Testament further (I have a tendency to focus on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ)...

What I do know is that once Jesus Christ gave his life, He was considered the "ultimate sacrificial lamb" and sacrifice by blood was no longer considered necessary.

11. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Thanks True', interesting.

I don't mind being mixed up with Searcher, she and I seem to think along such similar lines anyway.