Conversion Therapy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cluelusshusbund, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Do you thank Conversion Therapy shoud be promoted by Pence to the LGBTQ community?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

"Mike Pence could be “the most powerful vice president ever.

Mike Pence is perhaps one of the most anti-LGBT political crusaders to serve in Congress and as governor of a state. Long before he signed the draconian anti-LGBT “religious liberty” law in Indiana last year, he supported “conversion therapy” as a member of Congress, and later, as a columnist and radio host, he gave a speech in which he said that marriage equality would lead to “societal collapse,” and called homosexuality “a choice.” Stopping gays from marrying wasn’t biased, he said, but was rather about compelling “God’s idea.

Trump has said he would overturn what he saw as President Obama’s unconstitutional executive orders, and those could include Obama’s orders on LGBT rights, such as banning employment discrimination among federal contractors.

While Trump was onstage using the term “LGBTQ,” the platform committee of the RNC hammered out the most anti-LGBT platform in history. Tony Perkins head the anti-LGBTQ Family Research Council, told me at the RNC he “very happy” with the platform, which he made sure included the promotion of “conversion therapy.

[end quotes]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-pence-assault-lgbtq-equality_us_58275a17e4b02d21bbc8ff9b

OK... Trump/Pence won an have the right to push ther personal agendas... an it looks like Vice President Mike Pences duties might include bein President of Vice... an i thank it shoud remain voluntary... an nobody shoud be "outed" based on rumors... an at the most... anybody who is suspected of bein LGBTQ shoud receive a letter of whare to report to get treetments... but this list of names shud be kept top secret from the general public so they wont be alarmed at how many family frinds an nabors are LGBTQ.!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Conversion "therapy" has been repeatedly proven NOT to do a damn thing besides needlessly torture someone who has absolutely nothing wrong with them.

To the second part of your post - no, the Government has no duty, reason, nor right to compile a "list of suspected LGBTQ individuals" ... Fuck, that just sounds far too much like the way the Nazi's operated, with lists of suspected Jewish individuals and/or sympathizers...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I know nothing about "conversion therapy."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Mayb thats cause you chose to be straight -- not gay.???

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I simply haven't had much interest in the subject. I suppose I should give it an online search.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Or - and I'm just going out on a wacky limb here - people should join the fuckin' 21st century where we are each free to pursue our happiness in our own way, and it's nobody's fuckin' place to judge, and having one's life 'outed' will be as ridiculously archaic a notion as getting one's choice of coffee 'outed'. For fuck's sake.

Sorry.
    Jesus. I can't believe I live in a world where this is a thing.

11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

The fear that comes from Pence bein in power mayb enuff incentive for gays to go back to hidin in the closet... or beter yet... simply choose to be straight an the issue can resolve itself.!!!

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You jest, right?

People succumbing to oppression is not a solution.
    Will you next suggest that the gender issues will resolve themselves if women would only give up the right to vote?
    Blacks can go back to being slaves and then no one would be racist anymore?
    Jews should march themselves out of Germany? Or worse?

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Im tryin to understand the issue from my opponents/Pences viewpont... but dam... it still seems dum as hell so i still agree wit you.!!!
    I guess to fully understand Pences view i woud need the belief/fear of God in me... but i seem to have a natural immunity to it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Ah. I wondered. Didn't seem like what I'd have expected from you.

15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Conversion therapy seeking to convert intolerant folk into decent humans would be helpful.

We could have lists of say racists and as time permits call them in for conversion to unhateful thinking.

Let's hope nothing happens to Trump so Pence does not get the top job.

I find it so hard to realise that you have such strange folk getting to positions of power.

It changes my idea about USA being a place where equality is a given.
    The image projected to the world seems far from the reality.

Alex

DaveC426913 likes this.
  16. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I thank the best "conversion" will come from the education of the young... an old white people dyin off will also help some.!!!

They have both proven themselfs to be Azz-Holes... but sinse Trump is on both sides of so many issues i dont know what his positions are... so its hard to say which woud put America/the world in the gratest danger.!!!

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That's exactly what I was going to say.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  18. Bells Staff Member

Or alternatively, we can put Mike Pence and Donald Trump into a giant catapult and fling them towards the sun. See how well that improves Trump's tan.

Seriously though, conversion therapy is harmful. It is hateful and a gross abuse of human rights.

Mike Pence and his ilk, only push for such harmful human rights abuses against LGBT because of their inherent bigotry and hatred.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

EDIT - PREFACE - It was pointed out to me that the statement was made in a facetious manner and did not denote the posters actual stance on the subject, per a previous post that I had missed... my apologies all around. I am leaving the original post primarily due to the "egg on my face" aspect of it (I believe in owning up to my mistakes).

... surely you are not stupid enough to be advocating that it would be "better" for the LGBTQ community to have to hide away in fear.

Surely you are not stupid enough to actually believe that being attracted to one gender or the other is a "choice"...

My mother was married to my so-called Father (arrogant, abusive, drunken asshole that he was) for over twenty years... and she was utterly miserable for pretty much all of it that I can recall, including becoming significantly overweight and having absolutely no self esteem or self worth...

After she divorced him and freed our family from his abuse, she started to come around a bit. In the end, she wound up hooking up with a lady from work.

The two of them have been together almost a decade now, and my mother is happier and healthier than I can ever remember her being while in a heterosexual relationship... she's lost a ton of weight, no longer suffers from what was essentially crippling depression, is far more outspoken and outgoing, and is able to function normally without paralyzing anxiety.

Your claim that this is somehow a "choice" is arrogant, ignorant, selfish, ill-founded, and foolish.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No. He was being facetious, sarcastic:

See posts 9/10:

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ah, my apologies then clueluss, I missed that entirely. Yeah, this is a subject that gets me a good bit riled up (if that wasn't apparent already) because, simply put, what reason/right does someone or some group have to limit / prohibit what someone ELSE can do if what they are doing inflict zero harm on others? Obviously if its something like human sacrifice or child molestation et al, then yeah, it needs stopped... but what goes on between two+ consenting adults is their business.

Thing is... it isn't even so much a "fear of God" style belief; case in point, I and pretty much all of the members of the church I attend (United Methodist, albeit a slightly modified version of the faith) are accepting of LGBTQ members, and our church leaders have helped several of our youth and young adults come to terms with being of such orientations and have helped mediate/assist with "coming out" to their family members while ensuring they were safe in the process. For Christianity at least, there are two "rules" above all others - Love God, and Love Thy Neighbor... a lot of the rest (and a lot of the problems that result) are because of, well, human interpretation and obfuscation. "The Church" was and has been a very powerful body in terms of political and societal power for a very long time... and as they say, Power Corrupts.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I almost accused you of being couplist. But then I noticed your correct terminology.

(Although that's still the old 2-centric term. I think they prefer to be called n-ists.)

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh? To be honest, I don't (didn't?) even think of that as a label, but rather as a simple (and linguistically accurate) way of describing the situation

I guess technically, what goes on with one consenting (can you refuse to consent to yourself...? Is that what the whole "self rape" thing of the anti-masturbation groups is about?) adult or more would be most accurate?