Cool artificial Earth satellite page

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Lenny, Jul 31, 2000.

1. Lenny Registered Senior Member

This is a little off topic but space and astronomy kind of go hand and hand in my mind.

I have been away from some of my favorite web sites for a while and I just visited an old friend "J-Track" and boy, have the really added a cool JAVA applet. It is a 3-D display of satellites circling Earth.

What you will see (assuming your system supports this JAVA applet) is a plot in 3-dimensions showing the position of 300 satellites including Mir the ISS and the Space Shuttle (if a mission happens to be in progress). Its really crowded out there! Be sure to try the "Satellite" pull-down menu to choose which satellite you wish to view. Also if you click on the individual satellites in the display, you will get specific orbit information on that particular satellite. Check it out at:
    http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/RealTime/JTrack/3D/JTrack3D.html

------------------
    The sky is not the limit, nor are the stars.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crewmember_Earth Registered Member

Thanks for the Satellite tracking URL, it has enabled me to locate a communications sat. that our ISP is using to Uplink data.
    All we have to do now is build a portable tracking system to lock on when travelling
    and we have Internet to go.
    Any ideas?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lenny Registered Senior Member

Can't help you with that but here is another Web site you will probably be interested in:
    http://www.heavens-above.com/

Although it doesn't have the amazing graphics that "J-Track" supplies it will give you more accurate data which is specific to your exact location and will actually show you where in your sky your satellite is located. Follow the directions and set up your local page and then be sure to book mark it. The first time you visit heavens above it is a little confusing but once you set it up you are just a click away from "everything you always wanted to know" about your personal sky. Send me an e-mail (click on the "who" icon above this message) if you need help setting up your page.

------------------

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cable Man Registered Senior Member

Stuff like this makes the web fabulous!!! Those sites are real treats!!

8. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Now THAT was cool!

9. Lenny Registered Senior Member

You will definitely want to visit
    http://www.heavens-above.com/
    during the upcoming shuttle mission. Watching the shuttle in close pursuit of the space station across the sky from your back yard is quite startling and can make you a real hit with the neighbor kids. 'Course they might start calling you "the science guy"!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------

10. Crewmember_Earth Registered Member

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Lenny,

That was a fun URL. I got lost in many of the other links which followed. Thanks.

------------------
    It's all very large.

12. Lenny Registered Senior Member

Anybody else seen the shuttle? Have had some great sightings here in Kansas on this mission.

------------------