Cool, Cheesy & Ancient Family Pictures

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by superstring01, Nov 19, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You have beautiful eyes. I do believe this is the first picture I've seen of you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Though it seems like just the other day to me, 1986 has been some time ago.

My aunt and me right after Thanksgiving in 1986. Yes, I worked at a service station that made us wear ties.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Hay String I will get my son over to show me how to scan and post, I set up a few for ya.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

Really? Do so few people have old and/or interesting photos to post? Wow.

~String

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Here here!...I wanna see more horn rim glasses and crew cuts....or some big ass collars!

Thanks to who made this sticky.

9. draqon Banned Banned

cute cute cute

10. draqon Banned Banned

Inzomnia is sooooo cute

11. superstring01 Moderator

Here's three more interesting ones:

Paternal grandfather (standing next to great grandmother)

Mother (blond girl with hood, bottom right)

Self and friend (Pascual) posing for a picture near Niagara Falls

12. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Me and the little bro, 1993, Saudi Arabia.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

string:

you look so different with hair!

14. superstring01 Moderator

Don't remind me!

The one and only physical attribute I inherited from my biological father was baldness. Bastard. (Just look at the picture of my frandfather: wonderful, full, grey hair, into his fifties!)

I had GREAT hair. Amazing hair, then round about 28 it started saying goodbye. I went to a doctor and he said that Propecia would probably save most of it and even bring back that which was lost, but at a price tag that I was not willing to continuously pay for, for the remainder of my life. So, I shaved my head and noticed that it didn't look altogether bad, and ever since then, I've been Baldy McBalditon.

~String

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Awwww, all that gorgeous hair! My brother has a full head of hair too, and constantly worries about it going off! You inherit baldness from the X chromosome, so its your mum's fault somewhere along the line.

16. superstring01 Moderator

Well, then, it looks like I got nothing at all from the sperm donor. Even better.

~String

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

This is some 100 year old photo we found at my wife's great aunt's old house after she died. The interesting thing (to us) is that whoever this ancient dude is, he's the spitting image of my wife's uncle:

Notice how people were always all serious in really old photos? You never see any rabit ears, and rarely even see a smile.

18. draqon Banned Banned

The time when Americans were moral...seriousness of a person shows their sincerity. Smile is most likely fake, nowdays, its a mask people wear.

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

This is a great picture to capture. I don't get enough pictures like this of my kids. I feel I have missed out on some of the best moments, not having a camera around. A lot of the pictures are too posed and set up.

It's funny to look back on old pictures. I find no matter whose you look at there are so many similarities if you are about the same age. It is like they only sold
    a few different styles of couches back then. I think we all owned the same plaid pants back then too.

Madanthonywayne......What a cute little boy you were.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  20. superstring01 Moderator

Actually, you are wrong, Draq, again. Do us all a favor and do some research before you start bullshitting.

People smiled back then. Probably more than we do now. They did goofy things. They farted. Burped. They played in the dirt. Rolled on the ground with their children. Chatted in church. Gossiped. Laughed. Cried. Backstabbed. Goofed-off and got into trouble at about the same rate we do today.

In the era of old photography (before the "snap shot" camera) the time it took to expose a photo was between 20 seconds (for an excellent quality shot) and a minute (for a low quality shot). The chemical reaction was extremely slow. Because of this, any movement during the shooting would blur the photo excessively, so the photographer instructed the family to sit and hold themselves (and faces) in a manner that they could maintain for a long period of time. Smiling, in a genuine way, is difficult beyond a few seconds, and after about ten seconds becomes almost unbearably tiresome. Therefore, people adopted a frame of expression that was easy to hold.

Thus: the austere looks in photos. Only in your twisted, bizzarro world, does smiling in a photo somehow equate to low morality.

~String

PS: the USA was FAR more immoral back in the 1800's than it is now. Women were beaten freely, there was child labor where they died and were maimed on a daily basis, there was slavery, immigrants (especially non-wasps) were expendable, prostitution in large and small cities was far more prevalent than today. Even the murder rate in places like NYC and San Francisco far exceeds todays numbers. The list goes on and on. You might want to open a book and look at what the 1800's were like before you make assumptions.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  21. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Steve, you don't change much! Did you have a long hair or something?? Cute photos too, btw!

22. John99 Banned Banned

Perhaps his smile has faded over time. He knows he is dead.

23. John99 Banned Banned

And really, who would know for sure?