Corona Virus 2019-nCoV

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Quantum Quack, Jan 29, 2020.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Idiotic offer of pointless and unwanted help. Naturally.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

To encourage investment, which helps the economy.
    Yep.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

The exratrodinary incompetence of Trump , is profoundly obvious .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

We were talking about bailing out industries via TARP and now you have taken a left turn into "the rich an afford to lose money and the poor are in trouble!" which has very little to do with the conversation.

8. river

Lets hope that good people and their actions prevail .

So far so good . For the most part .

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Writing yourself a multimillion dollar bonus check or back buying stock is stimulating the economy?

I saw an interview of a large farm owner who received a sizable agricultural stimulus check. When asked if he was going to hire help with that money he replied; "I have all the help I need and I'm not going to hire people to stand around and do nothing". "I put that money in the bank where it earns interest".
    What did that money stimulate? I am not blaming the farmer, he was merely practising good efficient business.

See, why should a billionaire be encouraged to stimulate the economy? They already have all the money necessary for any and all economic stimulus they want or need.

You give a billionaire ten million dollars, he goes to the bank and deposits in a long term high yield interest account.

You give ten million dollars to a bunch of poor people and that money is back in the market the next day for that new washing machine, or refrigerator, or a car so they can apply for a job and become self-sufficient.
    That is how you stimulate the economy. Give it to people who need to buy stuff, not to billionaires who already have everything they need.

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Good luck with that one.

11. river

Why ? Why do you think this ?

So far good luck has nothing to do with being good .

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No, aren't we talking about keeping small businesses afloat during this war time economy. I can understand assistance to say keeping airlines running with full crews, even for few passengers. That is of National interest.
    If all assistance is designed only for unemployment compensation, ok. I am in favor of all assistance to the poor and middle class wage earners.

I am objecting to the undefined economic stimulus plans which is tantamount to a windfall for large wealthy corporations.

I just heard that Trump is going to personally oversee the distribution of this multi trillion dollar stimulus plan...(shudders).

Oh, did I also hear something about cutting back on the federal food stamp programs and further cuts in Obamacare?

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What do you call "high yield"?

The farmer's stimulus money was to make up for the poor farming economy, to allow him to stay in business. It wasn't to hire more workers.

14. river

I watched MSNBC , about this very thing about a week or so ago .

There are still oversights on the distribution of these monies of which this President has no control over .

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

We were talking about TARP, the almost trillion dollar "troubled assets relief program" which purchased toxic assets to keep the banks afloat.

Would you rather talk about the recent two trillion dollar stimulus?
    No. Investing a million dollars in (say) Tesla, Uber and Lime stimulates the economy. There are no tax breaks for "writing yourself a multimillion dollar bonus check."
    No, he invests it. Smart investors - the sort of investors who become billionaires - do not deposit millions in a bank account.

16. river

Nope

How so to your first statement ?

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

If Trump is personally going to oversee any financial distributions, I do get worried.
    Congress to bail out firms that avoided taxes, safety regulations and spent billions boosting their stock
    Less than a dozen years after the bailouts of the Great Recession, airlines, hotels and a long list of others come calling.
    By Jonathan O'Connell, March 25, 2020 at 11:34 a.m. PDT
    Continue next...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

continued...
    To his credit (if any)
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...ail-us-is-primed-bail-out-corporations-again/

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The above is not my statement....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. river

What is not your above statement ?

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Classic Trump:

Trump Tries to Sell 100,000 Coronavirus Deaths as a “Very Good Job”

The president once said the pandemic “miraculously goes away” in April.

""So you’re talking about 2.2 million deaths, 2.2 million people from this. And so if we could hold that down, as we’re saying, to 100,000. It’s a horrible number, maybe even less —but to 100,000. So we have between 100,000 and 200,000, and we altogether have done a very good job," he said."

https://www.gq.com/story/trump-hundred-thousand-dead-good-job

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

That one. Go back and read the chronology of posts.

23. river

What this virus has done is seperate intelligent leaders and their opposition parties in certain countries that work together for the greater good for the people and those that don't .