Corona Virus 2019-nCoV

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Quantum Quack, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The protests, though idiotic, aren't a problem. Most people are on lock down. A few don't like it and are protesting but if most people weren't on lock down there would be nothing to protest.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

So what do you think will be the outcome if lockdown is lifted due to the protests?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It's not going to be lifted.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Of course it is; the only question is when.

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Are we feeling literal tonight?

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

1) Note that the US is far below OECD average even in claimed testing - despite having a more serious infection problem than most.
    2) Also: There's probably something wrong with those numbers, at least the US ones and the comparisons. For starters, there is little reliable data compilation in the US - tests claimed and tests actually administered and evaluated cannot be assumed equivalent. Continuing, we notice that a couple of countries known to have done more thorough and effective testing than the US show up as having tested a smaller fraction of their population (S Korea) - that is possible on competence considerations, but would not reflect well on the US regardless.
    3) The US testing has been largely confined to symptomatic people - a much smaller and more specialized target population than a competent government, confronted with a viral plague, would select. That is "inadequate" testing, as posted, and due to incompetence and corruption, as noted.
    4) The "total tested" figure has been removed from the US CDC website (the US has no reliable and official source of such data), but it is hardly likely to be in the neighborhood of 5 million (as would have been required by the claim of 15.6/1000 citizens tested). This graph from the CDC indicates less than 1 million tests evaluated: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/images/lab-specimens-tested.jpg

12. Bells Staff Member

Darwinism.

13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdUOA?Si
    Sure, per this data US currently has one of the highest number of cases per million population, at c.3.4k. San Marino tops the list at 17k, Vatican City at 13.7k, Spain and Iceland come in at c.5.2k, Belgium and Ireland c.4.2k. US is on a par with Switzerland and Italy at the moment. UK is at 2.6k, along with France, and Germany is at c.2k.
    So US is near the top, but not exactly streets ahead of some other large 1st world countries.
    Which comparisons? The ones I gave in my post, or all the ones the data provides for?
    Such issues with the data are noted in the link below the chart in the link I provided, that website also detailing where it gets its data. You are free to reject that data wholesale if it doesn't provide you with the ammunition for your agenda, of course, or you can accept the data as being broadly comparable but with some noted issues.
    Sure, the number of tests per population is clearly not in itself an indication of competence or otherwise. This is not disputed. I posted merely to show that the US is by no means the worst in terms of testing per population. Measuring the number of tests per population is really only good for comparing how many people have been tested. Some countries have tested far fewer and have far lower cases. Some have tested more and have higher cases per million (e.g. Belgium, Iceland etc).
    Sure, and this is likely true of some other countries that need to prioritise testing capacity. The UK have done this (as well as prioritising frontline health workers where possible) and is now getting to grips with the number of tests it set itself to perform. Now, if you have the equivalent information (of who is being tested) for the other countries so as to validate your concern regards comparability...?
    Sure, and that chart clearly indicates that it is measuring the tests at public labs. Given that private labs in the US are conducting c.90% of the tests, is there a reason you are ignoring them? The data behind the chart in the post I linked to certainly includes such testing at private labs, as far as possible.

Note, I am not saying the US, or UK, or any other country's government is competent or otherwise. I'm simply laying out some data that is publicly available on the matters of testing, infections etc. Most of it can probably be found on Wikipedia as well, if that is more to one's taste. If, however, someone tries to make an argument based on such data, I am interested to see how far the numbers do actually support it.

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This made me burst out laughing.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I am glad you find trolls and trolling amusing...

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It will be very interesting to see how the COVID pandemic effects the Brexit Deal and how the UK will be able to survive the economic hit from both...

Sorry did your

just turn into a

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I have not believed for some months now that there will be a Brexit deal.

The Brexiters that run the government are not even doing any of the work needed to implement the Withdrawal Agreement. Bozo appears set on reneging on his side of the bargain, thereby making the UK an unreliable banana republic. I think the Brexiters think they can blame all the economic chaos on the virus and nobody will notice that a no-deal exit is making it even worse. But the EU will be furious and may choose to make our lives hell if we renege, which they have plenty of ways of doing.

(The day I rely on some senile chump in Australia to provide me with insights into UK politics is a long way off.

)

Sarkus likes this.
  18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

There will be a deal... of sorts... covering the important areas of air travel, security, some elements of cooperation etc. What I don't think there will be is an all-encompassing deal on trade. WTO rules will govern for quite a while, I think.
    I think this is somewhat unfair; the pandemic has certainly put some things on hold, but reports suggest there is a new timetable for discussions to begin imminently. As for reneging, I don't think Boris has any intention of reneging, and I think he is fully set on the transition period ending at the end of 2020. Hopefully enough people in his party will still force the request for an extension should the need arise, to avoid any cliff-edge. And the pandemic at least gives a face-saving justification for asking for one.
    Now, whether plans are in place for Northern Ireland so as to avoid any "backstop", and to what extent other matters are agreed, I have no idea, but I am sure the clown has the conviction to pull the UK away as planned, rightly or wrongly.

19. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Let me ask you: how do you see the UK not surviving?

exchemist likes this.
  20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I see no sign of any work on the N Ireland issue, anywhere in government, which is something requiring very detailed preparation and engagement with business. It's not happening. There are definitely voices within the Tory party arguing for a "clean break" and Bozo has gone out of his way to pick a government full of Brexiters, rather than people with talent. I don't believe they are serious about a deal. I hope I'm wrong of course.

Here's an article about it from Today's Indie: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-office-belfast-uk-government-brexit-a9495776.html

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

And more general. Lockdowns are already being lifted, including in places that have had protests.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

Far too few people of reproductive age will die for evolution to rear its head.

Bells likes this.
  23. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Being specific, it was asked what would be the outcome if lockdown is lifted due to the protests.
    Seattle responded that it's not going to be lifted [due to the protests].
    You then responded to Seattle that "Of course it is; the only question is when.."

So in which countries do you think lockdowns are being lifted due to the protests?

Seattle likes this.