Corona Virus 2019-nCoV

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Quantum Quack, Jan 29, 2020.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

on a virology note
    i did some crash reading on cross links to Zika & Corona virus
    not any real data available
    however
    zika & corona virus surviving in the gut of bats offers some interesting possibilities
    im not sure they are close enough
    but then it only took one mutation jump in the right place to create A.I.D's (for example)

with nile river virus
    Dengue Fever
    Malaria slowly working there way up into to the southern united states
    the idea of a Zombie mutant baby population is quite interesting
    if Zika mixes with Corona-virus
    or corona-virus crosses the BBB
    while it may not wipe out mass waves of people
    it may potentially breed a generations of mutant 2 headed babys(babys with severe organ mutation growth deficiency or neurological disturbance requiring lifelong medical care etc...)

maybe new york could build a 911 like memorial on the mass graves they dug

sad to know that running through the centre of the American ideology is that those that die of corona virus are simply not worth as much if they die from some other act.
    that conservative christian moral value on the value of life is quite a sad indictment of their moral corruption

... but thats how they like it

virology probability question (i realize its al a bit of dice roll)
    if corona virus can be allowed to long term incubate inside large populations of children...
    will that help it cross the BBB ?

hows Kawasaki disease going ?

side note
    as a spectator
    i dont know cumo
    i dont know if he is just a yes man sitting in a gold thrown
    or if he is a sleeves up get in there and get on with the job
    but he certainly deserves some credit for bucking the national trend and facing down corona virus
    against all the other states demanding he do nothing
    imagine if he had of followed the demands of all the other politicians and simply done nothing
    new york would have sky scrapers of corpses

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The widest net I know of, untangling risk factors in England - the risk here being death after infection by Covid-19:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2521-4_reference.pdf

Some surprises: smoking seems to add little if anything to one's risk of dying after infection (the correlation was actually negative); being male adds a lot (diseases that kill by triggering excessive immune system responses usually afflict women more heavily); nonwhite ethnicity adds significantly even after correction for associated medical and lifestyle conditions; only recent cancer diagnoses increased risk (even of blood cancers); some factors (such as hypertension) varied by age in their effect on risk (hypertension adds risk up to age 70, subtracts risk after age 70); and a few others.

Not the last word - just a worthy study.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-07-16-20-intl/index.html

We're keeping an eye on several hotspots today, where the spiking numbers of cases have created hospital bed shortages and prompted officials to prepare for the worst.

Here's what you need to know about the US's hardest-hit hotspots:

Arizona
    • Morgues are filling up: In Maricopa County, which has the most Covid-19 cases in the state, the medical examiner's office has ordered four portable coolers as morgues begin to fill up, said Fields Moseley, the county spokesperson.
    • Out-of-state help needed: State health officials have also announced they're bringing nearly 600 critical care and medical-surgical nurses from out of state to help as they enhance their internal surge plans to fill staffing gaps.
    California
    • New records: The country's most populous state set two more records yesterday with highs for hospitalizations and ICU admissions.
    • New lockdowns possible: In Los Angeles County, the public health director warned another stay-at-home order is likely: "We can't take anything off the table — there's absolutely no certainty of what exactly is going to happen next," Dr. Barbara Ferrer said.
    Florida
    • Out of ICU beds: As of yesterday, more than 50 hospitals have reached intensive care unit capacity and show zero beds available, according to according to data released by the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA).
    • Hit harder than most countries: Since the start of the pandemic, the state has reported more than 301,000 positive cases of coronavirus. If Florida was its own country, only eight other countries would have a higher case count, according to Johns Hopkins University data.
    Texas
    • Trucks for bodies: Two counties in Texas — Cameron and Hidalgo — are sharing a large refrigerated trailer to store bodies of coronavirus patients because of a lack of space at the morgues. San Antonio officials have also said they're requesting refrigerated trucks.
    • Hospitals in one city are full: In South Texas, hospitals in Laredo are full andthe federal government is converting a hotel into a health care facility.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It will only be when the health systems fully collapses that many will start to take this pandemic seriously...IMO ( something similar could be said about that other issue - Climate Change.)
    Creating bed space is one thing staffing them properly is another...and with the ranks of health care staff constantly being depleted it wont be long before the beds are full and patients are being cared for by desperate and well intention-ed amateurs..

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

those well intention-ed amateurs are(professionals[manual labour unqualified] who will be the only ones legally allowed in to the hospital/tent in a stadium with no running water like WW1) just chasing the weekly pay cheque

all those American movies about plagues and destruction of the entire countrys system
    ... must be like all their Christmasses have come at once watching it all go down in flames
    soo many have been preying for this for decades in the usa

all those millions in evangelist megga churches in the usa preying
    dear lord
    please come and punish these evil doers and bring your mighty roth & punishment upon them so that they may be judged...
    we thank you for our tax free status

and that is not counting the well meaning survivalists(conscious contributing members of society)
    or the lunatic militia cult groups

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

See, but it never will. The rich will always be able to get healthcare.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

One of the most troubling things, for me, is that even though Victorian health professionals are using best practiced PPE use and quarantine protocols there are still large numbers getting infected.
    This leads to the questions:
    • Is it possible that a small percentage of the viral load is airborne and in sufficient quantities to facilitate transmission of the virus?
    • Is the virus being transmitted in small enough quantities to avoid detection (test negative) yet remain festering in the person until it emerges at a much later time and then tests positive? ( ticking time bomb - metaphor)
    • Should health professions upgrade their PPE to adapt to the possibility of air borne transmission?
    • and so on...
    Currently we have a large number of cases that have no known chain of transmission...despite the huge resources being spent on tracking and investigation...

The incubation period may be actually much longer than realized and only becomes detectable when there is only 5-14 days remaining...

11. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

the big Aussie weekend beach trip & all the BBQ's & Partys are coming out now
    assuming lock down is tight
    this wave should increase for another 2 weeks then flatten off.
    likely there will be deaths as a result

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...beaches-again-despite-covid-19-risks/12185926

i suspect when the lock down was lifted people went out and spread groups of infection that had been incubating in their peer(circle of close friends they kept visiting & having partys and gatherings with) groups.
    additionally the move of infection from outlier areas coming back in a-symptomatic and quickly spreading back into high risk and highly networked groups

assuming they keep it locked down tight for another 4 weeks or so
    that should do it
    BUT !
    keep in mind it is probably still active in those who show no symptoms and are fairly young & highly socially interactive.

it may be adapting to the warmer climate
    this could make it particularly bad for the on coming winter season in India and Africa

The usa should have held out to eliminate it
    however they have not
    when the summer is over and they still have millions infected
    add covid on top of a bad flu season in the usa
    and you have those end of the world virus movies in their country
    but real

that seemed to be the obvious worst case scenario to aim to eliminate
    they do not seem to be working toward that goal

12. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

• Do not incite murder on sciforums or you may be banned.
    A note to Americans:

Viruses don't wait for elections.

A couple of weeks back, Dr. Fauci, being cautiously optimistic and conservative which is appropriate, I guess?, suggested that we will likely be seeing 100,000 new cases a day sometime soon. Ha! We're at like 70 or 80 thousands new cases a day already. And half the country won't even wear a freakin' mask, and half of the states' governors (the Republican ones, that is) are doing very little (or nothing) to address this and other problems. And the federal government? We don't have one. Rather, we've got a bunch of psychopathic, fascist fuckwits who are doing everything in their power to fuck over their constituents, in order to line their coffers and preserve their obscene wealth.

I'm fairly certain that the U.S. Constitution, somewhere in the Bill of Rights methinks, advises for such circumstances--something about altering and abolishing a government that becomes destructive of it's desired ends, i.e., the protection of the citizens' rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I ain't recommending anything, I'm just saying that I think it's well within yours, mine, anyone's rights to forcibly [deleted] or just plain put a bullet [deleted]. In fact, I think it might actually be our duty to do such, not sure on that part. Anyway.

[Post has been edited by a moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2020
    RainbowSingularity likes this.
  13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I just hope that everyone in the white house admin team is held to account for the deaths and suffering their decisions are generating. Not just Trump but all those who support him. The sheer damage that those supporters are allowing Trump to do to the USA is utterly mind blowing. ( economically and health)
    Jail time at least!

News here: CDC side lined by White house - again!
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07...te-house-what-it-means-for-the-world/12467322
    and this sort of extreme negligence just keeps on comin'

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2020
  14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

After doing a "chat" survey of my local central business district I would reckon that about 60% of businesses (retail and service) will cease to exist in the next couple of months and until an effective vaccine is found will not return. If replicated nation wide, we are looking at a 60% reduction in real physical business outlets!
    This means that the commercial real estate industry will collapse big time. After all there is no point leasing an empty office block if all workers are working from home or a 100 seat restaurant can only sell take aways. etc..

In other words the economic adjustment, here in Australia, is going to be extraordinarily severe and well beyond any ones anticipations or comprehension.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

18.75% of the USA population voted for the current president
    19.35% voted for the democrats

50% of the voting population chose not to vote
    Voting population is roughly around 60% of the total population

how do you define their version of modern culture ?
    people who choose to not vote, should have equal rights ?

no universal health care
    no reproductive health care for young girls and teen girls or women

have you seen how much wages cash they give tax free to megga church facist hitler ego maniacs(of all different skin colours & fake cultural associations) ?
    many billions per year
    while children are dying from lack of money for hospital care that would save their lifes
    endless go fund me pages of children begging for cash to get chemo therapy and operations
    in the USA !
    you dont need a degree in sociological-anthropology-psychology to get the idea
    this is THEIR choice of cultural moral values

they will be only interested in their own job protection
    and what ever back end they need to kiss or wipe to achieve that

dont let people troll your virus thread into another self indulgent both-sides-ism debate around american elitist political fancys

(help reinforce positive messages that IS doing something)
    not even social distancing, wearing a face mask, maintaining your bubble & covering your mouth & nose when you sneeze or cough
    and washing your hands as per hospital guide lines ?
    and not sharing food(wait for it to get a grip in the middle east and africa) or eating utensils unless they have been washed

16. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Tiassa can probably almost quote this legislational part
    and sumerise it if he feels inclined or has the time
    the facts seem to be that legal scholars may argue over it
    but the meaning is directly disconnected

1.being able to remove an undesirable president
    2. freedom/right to hold a gun or retain weapons(baring arms/carrying holding owning storing)
    3. the mechanisms to which one may have to remove a president
    4. the ideology around the aspect of a corrupt system and the right to have a right to do anything

the wording is quite specific in that it clearly suggests ideas but simply does not state an actual right to mechanism to achieve what it moots to.
    the electoral college is the only working mechanism that rules over this apart from the impeachment process

part of the probelm is
    how can you stand up for your rights or someone elses if you dont know what those rights are
    american culture has long been worry only about your own rights
    and directly to not interfere with other americans rights by not standing up for them.
    that has been their culture
    even though that culture is contradicted in some Geo-political global world games stuff.

current middle of the road american intellectual psychological culture is currently obsessed with telling the world what it wants
    i want
    i want

there is a very long developmental road for that "i want"
    to get to
    "i empathize & i think objectively & independently"

REMEMBER
    the vast majority of americans are giving their wages to rich greedy ego-cult church leaders to spend on luxury life styles instead of donating it to american children who cant afford medical treatment
    and they wont vote for universal health care

REMEMBER THAT !
    back to the virology

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

economics is not really virology unless you have a well balanced mixed market economy with universal social services

since the government is expected to solve the issue
    and the tax payers are paying for it
    i think governments needs to aggressively survey businesses to get a clear number of how many jobs they have moved to
    • work from home
    • cut because of dropping global growth
    • cut from decreasing sales revenue
    • added for technical specs & market &/or sales growth
    • costs saved for work from home along side additional costs as a value for energy cost & conservation for national grid protection & planning/WATER use right up to basic first aid requirement costs and how workers access first aid in the home living as an employee(extremely complex but thats what fascinates me as a hobby)
    i dont want to roll out any night mare scenarios at the moment
    there is far too much alt-right nationalism going on globally to start giving them a leg up

im worried about my own job and looking for a new job as my hours are being cut
    working conditions undermined and job value down graded
    subtle asset value stripping[of an employee] to profiteer off for personal leverage and personal sales targets[i think that's a bit dirty but that's the business world]

im a bit over it but that's the business world like it or leave it

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Trumps plan to disregard, ignore the health issues and open up the USA fails to consider the fact that it takes healthy people to make 'Merica great again...
    "Work until you drop" will only go so far..
    =====
    Missouri hospital leaders say they've lost access to critical COVID-19 data following the Trump administration's change to how it's collected — and Kansas hospital leaders say their data reports may be delayed.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-some-states-lose-access-to-covid-hospital-da

19. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

yes the us administration has changed laws so they can hide usa covid19 statistics

there is no confusion on that

wrong
    they have considered it carefully

the point is culling the old and sick to make profit

the old & the sick the poor working class
    have no rights to control their own money
    so the alt-right are simply going to take it away from them and keep it to themselves

de-funding the old & poor ...
    it is happening

the majority of the USA people do not believe in universal social services/health care

lol
    im not a numerology nut case
    but i notice my post is number 1918
    lol

the only logical response for economic security for other countrys is to keep the USA on a 100% travel ban to prevent re infection from them

20. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

https://www.msf.org/coronavirus-covid-19-nightmare-continues-brazil

21. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

What usually happens when it starts to dawn on you that a virus doesn't do stupid things, you do.

When someone points this out in front of you, maybe you start thinking they want to make you look stupid, but that already happened, like, ages ago.
    Unless you really think everything is actually all about you, where everything is everything that gets reported by the media.

There are two disappointed people in this journalist's shot; one of them is selfishly disappointed, they want to know how bad it looks for them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

The Iranian Government has acknowledged that they have at least 25 million infected citizens (29%) and expect that number to increase by a further 35 million shortly.
    Iran has a total population of about 84 million.
    Currently the official CC is only about 271,606 (worldometers)
    Obviously the issue is more about the credibility of statistics being given to global authorities.
    Compare 25 million with 271,606 and you get an idea about the sheer scale of the stat issue.
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...fected-with-covid-19/articleshow/77033215.cms

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  23. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i did wonder if iran was in a bad state
    add to that cultural practice of sharing open plates of food together in a circle where everyone breaths over everyone else's food

it is a bit of a nightmare reality(this is the middle eastern and some african issues which likely will simply exceed capacity to cope)

knowing a couple of Iranian people who i like & admire
    knowing they have family that will likely be in high risk and almost guaranteed to have extended family who will die from this
    it is a bit sad

its a mad world

with modern muslim countrys attempting to limit the destruction
    and some other muslim countrys saying it is "a'las' will"

they have their work cut out for them

irony that some have military states(like iran)
    so in theory they should be able to distribute food & medicine with equal strength and conviction
    however
    that is rarely ever the case

i can understand some who live above it may wish to consider it a culling of the human species like using the flu virus
    knowing it is un avoidable and simply a numbers game

while there is some truth to that aspect
    i dont think that will play out well for them

these type of things inspire genocide and increased extremism
    its bad enough in the western countrys with hyper nationalism
    i expect this may increase the chances of the ugly monsters coming out from their dark corners in some types of countrys, preying on their own society
    inevitably it becomes a Syria like situation with the modern middle class wiped out and the extremist crazies being given guns and power

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020