Correlation between stupidity and obesity

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Syzygys, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Is there a correlation between stupidity (well, low IQ) and obesity?

Or putting it this way: Are fat people dumber than normal people? Or is it the other way around and dumb people tend to be fatter than the average?
    Or there is no correlation and obesity is rather a poverty issue?

The USA leads the world in obesity and average students' achievements is only in the rank of #15 or so among Western societies. But also there is a rather large population in poverty level, and they tend to eat junkfood more than wealthier people.

Your opinion...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

There are 100's of examples of obese intellectuals so NO obesity and IQ not related.

Churchill was fat for example
    Patrick MooreVanessa Feltz
    Fern Briton
    Lots of FAT politicians
    Dawn French

NOTE obesity WAS more a sign of prosperity than poverty. Fat people could afford to indulge themselves, poor people could not. Why else are cambodians and ethiopians so thin? Because of their aerobic work out?

Now it is a matter of education, BUt still people indulge themselves.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Counting millions of overweight people, a few 100s example is pretty much nothing... You have to quote % or other statistics...

Here is an argument: Since being fat is bad for your health smart people are not or try to avoid being fat. Now overeating can be also an addiction but again, we can say that smart people aren't addicted to eating or at least try to do something against it...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Just a spontaneous thought, but the brain is pretty expensive in energy terms to run! It seems logical that a smarter brain would make more calculations per averege day and therefor use more energy than a dumb asses brain, but I've never heard of any research into this particular niche.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You don't know humans very well, do you? We can justify virtually anything that we wish to justify! A smart man can justify his obesity by simply saying that he loves good food, and it's more important to him than a longer life.

By the way, my guess is that you already know some people like that.

Baron Max

9. imaplanck. Banned Banned

OK if we avoid being politically correct sheep here, I think it is indeed possible that there is a correlation between weight and intelligence.

Science is not always nice and should never consider such.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

just plain wrong

Unless of course smoking/drug use and intelligence is related

oh and

dangerous sports and intelligence is related

oh and

being a politician and ................ok got me on that one

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

doing things that are bad for us but we enjoy is human nature. We are hedonistic more than we are health conscious.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So since Africa has the skinniest people on earth, they are the most intelligent.

And Americans have some of the fastest growing percentage of obese adults (doubled over the last 20 years) so they are fast becoming increasingly stupid.

Makes perfect sense to me.

12. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

there is a hint of truth in your idea. I have never seen a fat scientist and surely never seen a fat sports athlete. Fat is unhealthy and in some cases it deprives people of some simple pleasures of life, leading to a sort of depressed mind and body. There is a subtle correlation between health, happiness, and of cause intelligence. However its worth to note that some of the fattest animals are the most productive and intelligent. Elephants and pigs are thought to be very imteligent, as intelligent as dogs and parrots. The most intelligent animals is arguably the apes and monkeys, which are by the way skinny...maybe they go to the gym...considering they swing around all the time.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So all athletes are supersmart as are all scientists?

Are you sure?

14. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Hey girls dont beat me up over this, I said there may be a correlation. I didn't assert anything. I haven't seen any research.

15. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

All health issues are directly related to intelligents.

16. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Apart from sumo wrestling, which by the way calls for very little intelligence, there are virtually no room for fat athletes in the world of sports. Chess has never had a fat world champion player either. This discussion is not a zero sum game so I went with evidence. There is a great correlation between mind and body, the mind dictates and vice versa, in most cases that is. The mind is basically health, it should be taken care of, along with the body

17. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

so like I said, all those who smoke are less intelligent too?

18. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Research ToR???????

I put it to you that people who continually quote themselves are less intelligent .

19. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

When posting on matters of intelligence and a health, one should be diligent with regards to the spelling of intelligence, lest others think the poster is unintelligent and disease-ridden.

20. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

or just annoying

you DARE to ask me for research after saying fatties are less intelligent without yourself submitting 'evidence'!

I put it to you that those who ask of others that which they can not themselves have the forethought to provide are 'opportunist'

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

he's fat

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Interesting. It would be nice if we could see the source of this correlation. Is it the research you did not see?

23. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

he's fat too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.