Correlation between stupidity and obesity

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Syzygys, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Hello,

since there is no point reading this thread I just didn't read it. Whether there is a correlation between stupidity and obesity isn't really interesting. What would be interesting is if there would be a causal correlation between stupidity and obesity, or obesity and stupidity.

Btw, moreover, we might want to specify what stupid refers to: annoying? Dull minded? Meaningless?

carry on with your pointless drivel.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. imaplanck. Banned Banned

What would be interesting would be if you fucked off seeing as you have got nothing to add to the arguement but arrogant patronization of the proponents of a compelling arguement.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Indeed. It is apparently not important to point out that only a causal correlation has any value!?!?

My apologies. I temporarily forgot this is sciforums and not a science forum.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Yes of course that is obvious, I have stated many times that my points is that one may well be causing a correlation in the other.

Which you are the longest standing poster in

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Then let's not break this nice tradition of yours. You know what I do with threads I don't care about? I DO NOT READ THEM!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It is also called free choice....

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Why did we switch the discussion to the topic of my penis?

edit:
    actually I still consider myself a newby. The forum already had a rich history before I joined.

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

smokers--- drivers--- sports people

I am still waiting for one of you to explain why when the entire basis of your argument is that you consider intelligent people to be too intelligent to over eat (thus becoming obese) why intelligent people smoke? Or are you saying they don't?

Are you saying intelligent people do NOT do anything dangerous or without a rubber etc etc

Your argument is entirely beased on the fact you think intelligent people have no hedonistic tendancies and full self control. I have not the seen the study which links self control to intelligence or intelliegnce to deprivation of hedonistic traits? Please direct me to it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  11. imaplanck. Banned Banned

No Tor that is not the only basis for argument, but education in regards to what one eats is a possible part of it and yes there may also be a connection between smoking and intelligence.

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Talk about missing the point...

The debate is whether there is a statistical corellation between intelligence and obesity, and whether there is a causal relationship in either direction.

And it may or may not be genetic, as sam enjoys pointing out.

13. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

all of which could be applied to smoking and anything else considered bad for ones health (though smoking is not of course genetic).

You're all bonkers

14. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

You know as a certain fact that a person's propensity to smoke is not, even to some extent, caused by his genetics? Wow. That's some remarkable intuition you have there.

You'd be surprised how much genetics can determine a person.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/twin1.htm
    You'd do well to read this article. It's not boring, so there's a chance that you might actually go ahead and do it. Maybe even learn something in the process.

15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

from your link

"Both Jims smoked Salem cigarettes and drank Miller Lite beer"

Hands up who here smokes cigs and drinks beer

This PROVES that smoking is genetic does it?

"Both Jims had at one time held part-time posts as sheriffs."

Being part time Sherrif also genetic?

This could prove that closely related people have a telepathic link BUT IT no way proves that these things are genetic.

There is a saying that goes something like this

rather be a silent fool than open your mouth and advertise the fact

(just for the record my bf whom I am NOT related to share the following traits: we both like science, we both have two sugars in our tea, we both like the opposite sex, we both drive cars, we both live in houses, we both like cats, we both own pc's, we are both right handed, we both wear the same brand of hair gel, we both like sweets, we both ..........you know there is a lot of STUFF out there and anyone can find IDENTICAL similarities if you ask enough questions. What about all the stuff that differs?)

16. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I hope while you are busy replying to my post francois that you are not providing evidence again re your IQ?

17. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

You really are incapable of having thoughts that are even slightly complex, aren't you? I'm not saying that being a sheriff, or drinking Miller Lite, or smoking Salem cigarettes is genetic. I'm saying that genetics influence us profoundly, as identical twin studies repeatedly show us. Take people who say they may avoid drinking because alcoholism runs in the family. They're not genetically predisposed to be addicted specifically to alcohol. They're probably more genetically predisposed to be addicted to substances--and that substance more often than not, turns out being alcohol.

lol. It could prove that they have a telepathic link?! Wtf? Please let's not go there. My point is that we're affected profoundly by genetics--to a degree greater than most people think. It's not impossible--like you seem to think--that a person's propensity to smoke can be partly due to genetic factors--similar to the propensity of some people to be addicted to alcohol.
    Fascinating that you, of all people, are saying that. Well, I guess not really. You know... cause you're dumb and stuff.

18. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Actually, I first heard of that story in my psychology class text book. Those things mentioned in that article are only a few of the vast number of extremely specific things they had in common. They were nearly identical people.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, you actually have a point. Wait, I will start a new thread called: Is there a correlation between smoking and stupidity?

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

In general, ToR's position of singling out instances of exceptions to a postulate and concluding that the postulate (or its proponents) is "bonkers" is a typically female reaction (based on long experience with females).

"There must be spirits because I've seen them."
    or,

"My boyfriend is fat, but he's a genius so there goes your theory out the window."

The concept of a general correlation and a possible general causal relationship in the population as a whole, is apparently difficult to concieve.

For the record, I see no convincing evidence yet of a positive causal relationship between obesity and intelligence. There may indeed be a correlation. Or not. We need solid, convincing data.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

so you took my 'you're all bonkers' and cleverly reworded it to conclude the above, well done!

(jesting aside, I said this already in earlier posts, but it seems to have been overlooked, Imaplank was asked to provide evidence, which he did by confirming that he himself was thin. Of course this supported my argument and not his)

22. imaplanck. Banned Banned

No we took your argument that the only reason there could be a connection was because thick people are uneducated and therefor overeat or smoke, to conclude you were not able to see the general point made i.e that there may be a correlation in the figures but the possible reasons are not yet narrowed down and certainly should not be dismissed for your one rather unimaginiative reason alone.

LOL.

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.