Cosmology: An alternative theory to dark energy

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by Theo A. Gerken, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Theo A. Gerken Registered Member

This is a personal theory of mine.

Let's start with the background.

So the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. They key word here is accelerating.

The force that came from the big bang 14 billion years ago should be dissipating, the expansion should be slowing down, not speeding up. Gravity has been pulling things together ever since that big blast, too.

This finding boggled the scientists. So we developed "dark energy" to explain the expansion. There is no proof of dark energy, it is hypothetical, and it was only invented to explain the data (which could not be denied).

I have another explanation.

I think there are a bunch of collections of mass spread throughout space, all collecting mass over time until they hit a critical mass and explodes (in a big bang).

Our entire visible universe is probably a tiny fragment of one, I repeat one, such explosion.

Our entire visible universe (which is all we can investigate) might be expanding not because of dark energy, but because it is beeing pulled apart by OTHER (will be) Big Bangs collecting mass right now.

So our visible universe is stretched because it's being pulled apart in at least two different directions.

When one of these "local" Big Bangs goes of, it pushes the matter out really far, and reaches maximum point of expansion. This creates easy matter for the other (will be) Big Bangs to pick up. Get what I'm saying?

This would:

1) Make the big bang theory make sense, since now we are working with a cycle, and an endless amount of attemps to create life

2) It would explain where the energy comes from, that expands our universe faster and faster

3) It would explain the finding that the universe isn't expanding uniformly in all directions (very interesting)

Here are two articles that support the last statement.

From: Is the universe expanding asymmetrically? - Cosmos Magazine

http://cosmosmagazine.com/news/is-universe-expanding-asymmetrically/

"The analysis determined a preferred axis of anisotropy in the northern hemisphere. This suggests that a part of the northern sky represents a part of the universe that is expanding outwards with a greater acceleration than elsewhere."

From: New View of Primordial Universe Confirms Sudden "Inflation" after Big Bang

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-view-of-primordial-universe-confirms-sudden-inflation-after-big-bang/

"Planck also confirmed some oddities earlier noted by WMAP. The simplest models of inflation predict that fluctuations in the CMB should look the same all over the sky. But WMAP has found, and Planck confirmed, an asymmetry between opposite hemispheres of the sky, as well as a ‘cold spot’ that covers a large area. The asymmetry “defines a preferred direction in space, which is an extremely strange result,” says Efstathiou."

/Theo A. Gerken​

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

There is no force from the big bang. The expansion of the universe is a free fall: it is simply the natural motion of a particle not experiencing a force. This free fall is determined by gravity, so, yes, a certain density of mass can slow down expansion over time.
    It boggled nobody. The discovery of the expansion was surprising to most people, sure. Dark energy was developed well before the acceleration was observed and dark energy (or at least its effect on gravity) could potentially be measured in a number of ways before there was any measurement of it.

There is no proof of anything in science. However, there is so much evidence for dark energy that it seems almost impossible to deny that it is there in some form.
    Yeah. I get it. You are proposing something that we can't currently measure, that we might not ever be able to measure. You are proposing new physics (i.e., that mass can reach some sort of critical density where it explodes) that is not merely hypothetical, it can have whatever property you want to try to match data: it is not constrained by physics in any way.

This is an attempt at an anthropic principle argument. It is not as strong as the agreeing meaasurements of how much dark energy there is.
    There are many different hypothetical origins for dark energy, too, some of them require very little assumptions.
    The asymmetry is somewhat interesting, but I prefer a quotation from this article:

http://www.simonsfoundation.org/qua...d-map-of-the-cosmos-a-glimmer-of-its-origins/

'The asymmetry “might be a statistical fluke,” Kamionkowski said, or “it could really be the tip of the iceberg.”'

Until we have a way to investigate this asymmetry in greater detail, it might be premature to base all of cosmology on it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Science does not deal in proofs, and of course at this time the DE component is far more than an hypothesis.
    The only mystery concerns itself with the exact nature of this DE.
    One possibility, that makes perfect sense, is a CC similar to what Einstein proposed, albeit for the wrong reasons.
    But as yet, we have no convincing evidence to align with that concept.
    My own Speculative proposition is as follows.
    [1] The BB was driven by this same CC, and the impetus of which drove the Inflationary epoch.
    [2] After this initial impetus, the very large mass/energy density of spacetime at that time, [hence gravity] worked against the CC, to slow down the expansion rate.
    [3]As the expansion continued due to the CC over billions of years, the mass/energy density of spacetime/Universe diminished and grew less and less. Hence the effects of gravity in slowing the expansion grows less and less.
    [4]Finally a stage was reached where the effects of the CC in driving the expansion, and acting over a less dense Universe/spacetime, overtook the slowing effects of gravity.
    [5]Hence an acceleration in the expansion rate starts to occur, which we have now discovered.
    NB: In that scenario, I am presuming the the CC acts over all of spacetime, just as gravity acts on all particles individually.

Any comments on that speculative scenario, adverse or otherwise? Any errors, alterations or corrections?
    All comments appreciated and considered, as I have no ego or delusions of grandeur to dent or bruise in that speculative process I have outlined.
    In fact I would actually be surprised if it hasn't been hypothesised before this by the professionals in the trade.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.