Could a black hole explode??

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Cable Man, Oct 6, 2000.

1. apolo Registered Senior Member

From apolo. Thanks crisp for your speedy reply last night. . I read it several times and I understand what you are saying. However you are making the assumption, that if a virtual particle pair is ceated just outside the event horizon then the BH loses energy equivalent to 2 protons before anything else happens (the absorbtion of one of the 2 particles) What logical line of reasoning leads you to that assumption?? Virtual particle pairs are created all over the universe all the time with no help from BHs. So why would the creation of a pair near the event horizon take energy away from the BH. You also treat anti protons as particles having mass. I realize that anti particles are poorly understood by scientists, actualy they are purely hypothetical. But my understanding is, that if they do exist they are "negative mass" that is why they can annihilate a real particle and nothing is left.

Thanking you for your patience. Regards apolo

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hi Apolo,

The exact mechanism of how the 2 proton masses are borrowed from the black hole is not known to me. I am still to receive a course on Quantum Field Theory (which explains this phenomenon). Perhaps Plato can be of some help here ?

Concerning the antiproton: quite a lot is known from antimatter. One thing we do know for sure is that antiprotons have the same mass as protons (about 938 MeV/c2), so no "negative" mass. This has been experimentally verified, and is also theoretically predicted (for the techies: because of the CPT invariance theorem). The difference between a regular proton and an antiproton is in the quantumnumbers (these are numbers used to describe the characteristics of a particle).

Example:
    Proton : charge +e , baryonnumber +1 , isospin +1/2 , ...
    Antiproton: charge -e, baryonnunber -1, isospin -1/2, ...

For the exact annihilation proces, I'll have to refer you to a QFT expert once again. The basic elementary particles courses I took did not cover that subject (unfortunately)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Bye!

Crisp

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Hi,
    I do not believe there is any energy 'borrowed' from the BH. But I also do not believe that there will be a mass leak from the BH. The main reason is that in the extreme environment within or near the 'event horizon' -let alone in the singularity where everything ends- of the BH, concepts like protons, matter and the like lose their meaning.

'Merlijn'

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member