Could the universe be just part of some bigger "living" lifeform?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by noope, Jul 19, 2011.

1. noope Registered Senior Member

It seems, the more we zoom back, we see more of the same thing. If we look at atoms, we see a pattern of circulation, e.g. particles circling something else, we see same thing with any lifeform, circulation of blood/water for that being to live, now if we zoom back from an atom and zoom out a million times, we see the Earth moving around the sun, do that again and we see stars moving around a galaxy.

Could the universe be a part of just another "living" being lifeform? For example, if we look past an atom, we might say there is nothing smaller than quarks (due to our technical limitations), but if we compare the size of Earth on a universe scale, looking through a telescope from outside the universe, the size of the Earth would be equivalent to a quark particle... To someone outside, we may seem insignificant, but yet here we are, nearly 7 billion people breathing and living.

Could the universe, even though it is extremely big, dark and spacious, just be part of another "living" lifeform? For example, the distance between the particles that make up an atom is huge, couldn't all this space we see in space, be a part which makes up another living entities legs, brains atomic structure?

What is there to say there are billions of "smart" lifeforms that are smaller than a quark?

Lets say this lifeform outside our universe, decided to "smash" us to bits inside a colider to see what we were made of.. if they smashed our planet (assuming we were as big as a quark) to bits, they would just simply see elemental items that made us up, e.g. iron, hydrogen, etc, there would be absolutely no evidence of a "smart" civilization.

My question is, my above post is purely a fantasy, but according to our current understanding of the universe, could any of the above be ruled out? If so, which parts fails?, is there sufficient effect to rule that logic out?

davewhite04 and einsteinagogo like this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I've always figured that any kid in school, once they'd learned of the solar system and atoms, probably saw the same parallel. But there's never been anything discovered that suggests the comparison is anything more than a rough coincidence.

But who knows? We've nothing at our disposal that would permit or allow us to test anything on such a grand scale.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yes, all of it because as of this day there's been no scientist that has ever seen any "living" thing through the telescope or through explorations of other cosmic things in the universe. Everything that has been discovered shows no "life" what so ever. Now I'm saying life as a living organism, one that breathes, eats, thinks and so on.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vulgaris Registered Member

Did you just watch the movie 'men in black'?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyway, if we can never see it, and it can never influence our lives or even our universe.. does it really matter? Ofcourse I'm also curious about things I can't really see, but I generally am more interested in things I consider might be wihtin the possible reach of observation within a relevant time span. A being to which our universe is an atom? That doesn't hold much of my interest really.

8. jmpet Valued Senior Member

It is not impossible that this universe exists, say, under some giant's fingernail. The giant would be on a different level of time to where a billion of our years is a second for him.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well if you really think so can you please provide us with proof that what you say is a fact and not just your opinion. Thanks.

10. gmilam Valued Senior Member

A person's a person - no matter how small.

There's this one guy who claims Atoms are spaceships

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yes, and Horton know's about it all!

The book tells the story of Horton the Elephant who, in the afternoon of May 15 while splashing in a pool located in the Jungle of Nool, hears a small speck of dust talking to him. It turns out the speck of dust is actually a tiny planet, home to a city called Whoville, inhabited by microscopic-sized inhabitants known as Whos and led by a character known as the Mayor.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...me447fupAnOHfZrAQ&sig2=_ZOPQU_RYfD4RiKTuMskwA

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I believe that this is likely, however the lifeform is far different than an organic being it's a quantum being. Thus we'll never fully understand it. I feel it's more like a dog or animal of the same quality and has no intelligence but who knows ;p

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

noope,
    There is a simple point to the makeup of sub-atomics and matter in general, that point is that if you get low enough, you'll be dealing with energy not particles.

In the observation that you might put forwards to an atomic state, your only going as far as particles, but there are no atomic elements or molecules that can be observed anywhere similar to an entire Nebula or Galaxy, if that had been the case then it would have already likely been observed.

This undermines the hypothetical you have put forwards, I hope that puts your mind at ease while trying to understand the world around you and doesn't put you off continuing to ask questions.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Matter at the atomic level looks very different than matter on the everyday level, or matter at the level of the solar system.

For example, electrons don't orbit the atomic nucleus like the planets orbit the Sun - i.e. in neat elliptical orbits. At the atomic level, there's really no near "circulation" at all.

15. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Each of our own physical bodies maintains a state of homoestasis through the intake of air, water and nutrition. Yet without the service of the bacteria that digests our food, we would not survive.

We are kept alive by helpful bacteria.

When you examine the many functions that combine to enable us to exist, each of us is a walking habitat, supporting a myriad of microscopic life-forms which in turn support us.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=homeo...3B-bmiAK66pCwBw&ved=0CEoQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=706

The ego thinks of ourselves as 'I', yet we are all plurals of life, each a unique collective.

As to how this fits the topic of this thread?

From the microscopic through to the macroscopic, habitat within habitat within habitat.

einsteinagogo likes this.
  16. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I said it's not impossible, I didn't say it was probable.

But if you want to know for sure then build an expando-ray-gun to grow as big as the universe and check for yourself.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Certainly, all I need is funding for the project, how about a few billion to get off to a good start?

18. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

It's very interresting, i mean, we look like a quantum in the univerce
    and the univerce may also look quantum in a web of univerces, like bubles,

:bugeye: my brain is frozen these days

19. jmpet Valued Senior Member

No prob. And what certifications do you have to warrant several billion dollars at your disposal?

Silence.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

:deal: Here it is, now give me my billions!

21. hardalee Registered Senior Member

If the universe is infinite, Boltzmann Brains are a certianty. They would be a lot easier to make than our world.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  22. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I've thought this before. Maybe as atoms are to us, we are to the universe.

23. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

love this pic..

map of universe..

kinda looks like a neural network in a brain..

yuktiagg and einsteinagogo like this.