Could you make a Carbon filter out of............Carbon?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by trevor borocz johnson, Nov 3, 2022.

1. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

Like washing your hands, couldn't they convert the carbon to soap to catching more carbon?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

One could simply spray the smoke as it leaves the smoke stack with soapy water and capture the carbon in water then it would dry up.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

I just used a spray bottle to neutralize the smoke from burning paper. It appears to work, the smell of soap overpowered that of fire.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

8. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

9. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

I'm thinking I'll burn some paper in a closed box with a CO2 detector inside, and see if soapy water sprayed in the box lowers the CO2 parts per cm.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

The problem with CO2 is not its smell.

11. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

If I learned anything from fight club it is that soap ingredients are combustible.

from what I can foresee soap, carbon and alcohol should make for a a pretty slow burning object if that…

12. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

Here she is. My carbon filter. The smoke stack at A has a hood over it at C. The smoke goes through the carbon capturing container at B where it is sprayed with soapy water from D. The soapy water collects at the bottom of B and is re used until it is all used. The 'clean' smoke is then alowwed to leave through E.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!