Countrys that will be changed by climate change

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by RainbowSingularity, Oct 19, 2019.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Switzerland is getting warmer
    it has steep slopes
    less steep slopes frozen = more land slides
    primarily
    warmer temperature for them will mean more rain and possible shift to a semi sub-tropical climate with patches of heavy rain on a regular cycle
    this will cause issues that they have not had to build into their citys and roads etc.

i guess there is also a chance the polar vortex could swing toward them dropping heavy snow and freezing instead of warmer temperatures.
    (who knows it seems a bit wibbly wobbly)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49926929

however, i expect over all
    countrys that have enjoyed cold stable climates, may see sudden increases in heavy rain patches coming into their annual weather cycles.

japan and some other asian sub-tropical countrys are already seeing this potential weather shift into a tropical climate bringing tropical rain fall intensity

https://watchers.news/2019/09/20/ri...dslides-making-2019-the-worst-year-on-record/

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

All of them.
    The northern ones, by melting of icecaps and permafrost; the high altitude ones, by loss of glaciers and flooding rivers; the landlocked ones by trapped heat, wildfire, tornado and drought; the coastal ones, by rising tides, landslides and hurricanes; the oppressed ones, by famine and armed conflict over scarcity; the prosperous ones, by migrant population pressure; food-producers, by loss of pollinators and altered rainfall pattern, drying irrigation canals, soil loss; industrial ones, by loss of revenue from an increasingly displaced and impoverished consumer base; all by frequent storm damage to their infrastructure, housing, transport and the ridiculous power-grid.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Cities built on thawing permafrost will have to be rebuilt or relocated. Especially in Russia's North.

In fact as climate changes soil moisture content globally either more or less, rigid structure damage is inevitable. Buildings, bridges, roads, over passes, rail lines, air ports etc...

=====

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

So far, the people most severely affected are poor and powerless, so it doesn't matter. But all that methane released from the permafrost is added to the greenhouse gases already messing up all the weather patterns.
    By the time it starts hurting the people who do matter, it will be too late even for mitigation.
    The first few buildings, bridges and power stations - never entire towns, let alone cities - will be rebuilt and their occupants relocated, at vastly inflated cost, partly because of the risk and difficulty involved, and partly because contractors will take advantage of the emergency to fleece governments while the fleecing's good. After the second or third round, there will be no money for rebuilding; relief agencies will be sorely stretched, even to organize basic rescue and temporary shelter for the displaced populations. Shipping and transportation will bottleneck as harbours submerge, airplanes get blown down and bridges collapse. Businesses will go bust; investments will be lost; insurance companies will start folding first, then small banks. Tax-bases will dry up and nations default on their loans and the big banks will topple. Economies in ruins, commerce and industry in tatters; people dying of epidemics, natural disasters, and lots and lots of stupid little wars over pointless borders.
    We are not a viable species.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

A good example of potential negative developments could be seen in the fragility of the Indus Treaty (river water) between India and Pakistan.
    As nations suffer drought and political tensions shared resources become leverage and would inevitably lead to all out war unless resolved.
    India is currently threatening Pakistan with a loss of water over the Kashmir dispute...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Waters_Treaty

9. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

looking at the odd historical note
    and some current countrys, muslim christian etc etc...
    it appears that as the tax base drys up the police are turned into terrorists by the leaders to terrorise the civlians into poverty and prevent them from getting food etc.
    like hunger games
    the police appear to be used to inflict the loss of the tax on to those who have no money to pay it.
    which is ironic really but it appears fairly consistent.

i think it is the corruption of power as a role model used to define culture building
    so the system and its people expect that once you get power you must use it to make other people inferior and turn them into your slave in some way.

i have tried to read a little on this human aspect as it played out between sides in the cold war
    however it appears soo difficult to find any accurate information i stopped looking.

the ideological rhetoric was quite clear and profound on both sides, yet the use of power seemed to be quite similar.
    it appeared that only small pockets of either side lived the true balanced meanin of each moral social cultural definition as a civil equality.

Corporate government welfare for the rich in capitalist countrys(no food for the poor no health care for the poor)
    bread lines for the poor in communist countrys & no health care

Give a man a fish
    and he will eat for himself
    give a man 2 fishes and he will eat one then beat his neighbour to death with the other fish to prevent them from eating the 2nd fish while it rots and is destroyed.

Give a woman a fish, and she will eat with her friends
    give a woman 2 fish and she eat with everyone

im not sure its a gender thing, but if its not, then the culture sure seems a little tilted.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  10. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Is there a problem?
    The wars as a direct result of negatives of climate change will no doubt result in a mass cull such that the human race is reduced to a level that those remaining can burn coal to heat their caves with no noticeable effect upon the planet.
    Alex

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Small environmentally protected communities ( cities ) powered by renewables and nuclear energy, living under domes while the planet rages around them...food security via similar structures etc...sounds like science fiction doesn't it?
    Learning to terra-form our own planet properly so that we can leave the domes eventually and make sure it never happens again.

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

You make it all sound so appealing
    Alex

13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

True.

Has anyone built one yet? It's perfectly feasible with current technology - except I'd leave out the nuclear power and add roof gardens and hydroponics and make sure of a self-contained data-base and seed bank. The dome better be tank- and bomb-proof, though.
    Problematic, but given time ...
    Only, how do you "make sure" it never happens again?
    In the long term, there may be a better outcome. The very, very long term. The process of disintegration, however, will be such as to make me glad of my old aching joints and no expectations.

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

There is something to that, though modern society has tilted everything so badly, we can't hardly see what's true of men and women at their core and what's been stuck onto 'em with thumbtacks.

The version I [good little communist] heard was:
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man how to fish, and he will get arrested for poaching on the landowner's river.

15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Last month I was preoccupied with the prospect of eating grass..could it be digested if cooked..this month I wonder how do you cook dehydrated grass...next month I will be wondering how you can extract nutriment from dust.
    At the moment with all the bush fires in this region I wonder what recipe s exist for charcoal.
    As things get hotter water storage is a real problem and yet dams seem to have fallen out of favour. The changing climate I doubt can be prevented by humans but building water storage facilities must help somehow in a future where fresh water will become more scarce than it is today.
    At least it will be place to put the fish while we sort out the philosophy... Give a fish to an early American Indian and he would plant corn....and whilst on fish let's get rid of all those sea birds who eat our fish..unless of course we decide to harvest their eggs.
    Alex

16. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

...our fish.... yeah... what isn't...

17. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

It's all ours...the good book says so.
    Alex

18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Me and Chris Hitchens don't consider that book, or its putative author, so very good.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

actually there are many ways to do this. Every major sporting stadium fitted with a roof for example. A roof that could double for agricultural production.

MCG Melbourne. Seats approx. 100K
    Could be converted to sleep and go a long way to feeding about 25k ( rough guess only)
    Vegetarian only. No animal production.
    Pick any stadium and do the same... etc..

The other option is to use major tall buildings in a city as verticals and build a roof with agriculture over the existing city. Re-purpose all buildings. Sea walled if necessary , earth quake proof and entirely self sustainable as a shelter initially and then a less ascetic/frugal provision later as other shelters come online.
    Repurposed large shopping centers and so on...

Of course there is no guarantee but after witnessing the demise of over 6 billion people, the destruction of civilization as we know it and most of the world ecology, I think there will be generational change in attitude that will also be of long lasting effect.
    Sustainability and symbiosis will become the new order, the new religion if you like....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  20. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I think the Chinese implemented a great idea with the Plover Cove dam..a bay with a dam wall to hold fresh water after the sea water has been removed.
    I think it holds street run off.
    Alex

21. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Ok, good idea. Problem being, of course, that nobody's actually living there: those structures are owned by some corporate entity, and c.e's are not famous for creative forward thinking.
    Only after it's occupied by an armed commune.
    But, yes, I can see how the conversion will work. Better get those solar panels up, rain collectors installed, figure out the composting system, before the people move in. It might accommodate about 500, if they lived modestly. But they'd have to fight off the many thousands trying to get in.
    Obviously! Maybe some of those recycled vinyl goats to keep the astroturf trimmed...
    We could retrofit all of them. Airports and shopping malls...

Heh. I've been wanting to turn those money-laundries into public housing for years! The roof on them is very small in area, but well positioned for wind turbines. They'd make dandy hydroponic gardens - on every third floor, say, with apartments, workshops and common areas on the floors between: nobody needs to travel more then two flights of stairs up or down to work, study or socialize.

Great minds....
    ....are utterly ignored and dismissed.
    We could do lots of intelligent things - but they won't. We could have been intelligent enough not to get into this mess in the first place - but they did. As we kept hearing in 2009 about the economic mess: Who coulda foreseen?

Nonnonnono. Anything religious turns toxic when exposed to politics!

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

Why on earth would you live in a dome? Climate change means it will be warmer, not that there will be a vacuum outside.

Seattle likes this.
  23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

It will be warmer - in many places, so much warmer that people are already dying every summer; expect that to keep increasing. The wildfires, floods, mudslides, tornadoes, hurricanes, tidal waves, torrential rain- and snowstorms will increase in frequency and intensity.
    Also, all habitable regions will be chaotic battlegrounds over water, food and shelter.
    And incidentally, there is a very good chance that more nuclear power stations will go the way of Fukushima and that two or more contenders for the last glaciers will deploy their nuclear arsenal.
    Aside from that, it'll just like Sandals.