COVID-19 Source: Will we ever know?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Quantum Quack, May 5, 2020.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Of course not!

(And now you have answered your own question as to why shutting down wet markets won't solve this problem!)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because . . . you know the Chinese president personally and you know how he would react?

You are making the standard mistake of "if it was me I would do X, so since he didn't do X something is awry." More likely you simply lack understanding.
    You mean - other than the scientific reasons.
    You're sorta embarking on those same paranoid ramblings yourself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I guess I am a tad paranoid about the loss of objectivity..demonstrated here at sciforums...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Demonstrated primarily by yourself. You have proposed several nefarious conspiracies that are simply unsupported by any science.

Follow the science, not the latest Facebook or FOX News conspiracy.

exchemist likes this.
  8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

No, I am suggesting until the investigation and science is complete we have no idea where it originated.
    The first COVID-19 diagnosed epicenter was in Wuhan. That is all we really know.
    The Chinese virologists managed to identify a novel virus in a previously unexplained cluster of pneumonia cases.

The rest is speculation..

The line of research being currently carried out that is most interesting at the moment to me is the researching of clusters of unexplained pneumonia clusters around the globe prior to the Wuhan incident.
    We may find that COVID was prevalent well before Wuhan.
    It is all a part of finding out where this virus has it's source.
    As you believe that we already know where this originates then you have nothing more to look for..

Have a read off this NYT article if you are interested
    New Report Says Coronavirus May Have Made Early Appearance in France
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/world/europe/france-coronavirus-timeline.html

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

so you also know all there is to know about the source of this virus... good for you!

perhaps you could share this rather ground breaking understanding with the rest of us?

Also have a read of this article ( if you have the time)

New Report Says Coronavirus May Have Made Early Appearance in France

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/world/europe/france-coronavirus-timeline.html

Now remember that there is a incubation period involved and that asymptomatic community transmission is possible..

Note:
    Viral pneumonia appears in about 200 million people globally a year, some are not tested for cause.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  10. Bells Staff Member

Ya.

In late December.

The virus was doing the rounds since November in China, so it is not surprising it was already spreading overseas since that time.

11. Bells Staff Member

It is hardly groundbreaking..

They know which bat species was the original source ..

What they are now searching for is the intermediary animal.

In China..

Understand now?

This has been linked repeatedly.

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I am more interested in what happened during the incubation phases and how long ago before presenting to a hospital the guy involved in France got infected...and how many people he may have infected.
    Of course the same applies to the person of interest in China.
    The point being that the virus was already potentially global well before it was recognized and labeled as COVID-19
    But by all means believe as you wish...

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

link please... in all my research I haven't heard or seen this...claim before...

and before you go on about my "obsession"....I can only ask what else is a person to do when in lock down when they have a passion for researching...I got about 16 hours a day to fill in... any suggestions would be welcome...lol

14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Shouldn't this be in conspiracy theories?

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

What conspiracy theory are you referring to?
    The one that blames China for this pandemic or the one that questions it?

16. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

It must be a conspiracy then.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Why?
    You must be bored....

18. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Because conspiracies are cool.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Yeah they can be a lot of fun... true...
    I got a list of about 50 current ones I've found on the net and maybe later if I get bored I might post them in the appropriate fora...some of them are amazingingly weird...
    What is your favorite one at the moment..?
    Mine is the people walking around with tin foil to avoid contracting the virus from mobile phone towers...

20. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Let me think about it for a week cause I'm way too dumb to answer.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  21. Bells Staff Member

They know it was already spreading in China from mid November.

This has been documented repeatedly.

But because you refuse to accept that you are wrong, you refuse to read links provided.

So the issue here is you and your ridiculous conspiracies.

This isn't the first time you pull this crap and it probably won't be the last.

I follow the science.

I don't follow dumb conspiracies and you're even more ridiculous hypothetical scenarios that you dream up and then carry on as though they are fact.

This is an often repeated excuse from you. You always pull this rubbish.

It was linked and quoted in this thread already.

Here: http://www.sciforums.com/threads/covid-19-source-will-we-ever-know.163144/page-4#post-3634820

Quoting it again, before you try to deny seeing it:

Whole virus genome sequences were obtained either directly from patient samples or from cultured viruses from a number of patients hospitalised with pneumonia in Wuhan, showing that the aetiological agent was a betacoronavirus belonging to a new clade in subgenus Sarbecovirus in the Orthocoronavirinae subfamily37. Phylogenetic studies of the new virus showed it shared about 79% nucleotide homology with SARS-CoV47, as well as to two SARS-like coronaviruses isolated from Chinese horseshoe bats (Rhinolophus sinicus) in Zhoushan, with which it shared 89% nucleotide homology3,58, and to a third SARS-like coronavirus from an Intermediate horseshoe bat (R. affinis), with which it shared 96% nucleotide homology4,9. Based on established practice, the new virus was named SARS-CoV-2 by the Coronavirus Study Group of the International Committee for the Taxonomy of Viruses10, and the disease it causes as COVID-19 by WHO11.

Here is a link to the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7086482/

They know what breed of bat it originated from ' the Chinese horseshoe bat' and they also know it mutated and jumped to another species, before it mutated before it again jumped species and infected human(s).. And no, it's not something that happens instantly, such as your comment about a bat urinating on a civet cat in a "wet market".

Unless you have proof that it originated elsewhere in another country, I'd suggest you cease and desist in stupid conspiracies and your even more stupid hypotheticals that you then try to argue as though it's factual.

If you do not, I will shut this thread down and take further steps. You have been warned about this sort of behaviour enough times in the past to know that it's not acceptable.

Because like everyone else, I'm completely over your rubbish.

22. Bells Staff Member

Read books - you can even sign up to online libraries for free and lots of e-reading sites offer free books to read as well.

Crossword puzzles.

Gardening - in pots if you don't have a garden.

Clean your house.

Wash your windows.

Wash your car if you have one.

Go for walks.

Online chess or other games.

Reorganise your house/apartment/flat..

Call family and friends - zoom/discord/messenger/facebook..

Read the paper.

Anything but posting conspiracies on science forums and trying to pass them off as fact because you are bored.

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I look forward to it...