Cracks in the skin that won't heal

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by wynn, Apr 29, 2009.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I have small cracks in the skin on my left middle finger, on the back side of the last joint before the nail. It started out with a small crack in the skin that took a long time (more than a week) to heal. Then more and more of such parallel wounds appeared, as if they would be finely cut, refusing to heal, and itching. I applied a greasy facial and body cream, desinfected, but it didn't really help. I went to the pharmacy, got a gel that helped for a few days, and some of the wounds healed - but then next to them, new ones appeared, wider and deeper, and they refuse to heal. As you can see in the picture.
    The skin is hardened, it itches (and my finger is a bit swollen).

Is there anything I can try out, home-remedy wise, to heal this?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. krokah Registered Senior Member

Sorry can's see the picture Signal. I would try some antifungal cream you can get over the counter. Be sure to wash your hands every time you touch something. Try not to touch your face or other parts of your body..smile..taking a piss could be contagious..smile. But try antifungal cream as well as something for the inflamation. 1% hydrocortisone cream may help as well. If it doesn't go away and gets worse you may really want to visit a doctor. Good luck..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why not just go to a doctor? They now have small clinics everywhere even inside Walgreen stores that also could help you out. Even Pharmacists could help you for free if they feel like it. Anyway the bottom line is that you should see someone that is associated with medicine rather than here just to be on the safe side.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

as cosmic said go see a doc but just to satisfy my own curiosity when you press on the finger so that it goes white, how long does it take for the skin to get its colour back? less than 2 seconds, 2 sec or longer than 2 seconds?

this is called cap refill and its an indicator of perfusion and poor perfusion means poor ability to heal

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My husband gets cracks in his finger tips as well. Before he goes to sleep, he slathers then in Vaseline and puts on cotton gloves. I suppose a medicated ointment would work better.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Less than one second. My other wounds heal fine.

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

You're skin looks dry as fuck.

Eat lots of fats (varied), drink a lot of water, and use some really good moisturizer. Skin cracks only when it is dry. If your skin is continually dry it's because your skin doesn't have what it needs to hold on to moisture long enough to heal.

11. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

do you live in the desert?

does your work involve working with chemicals?

or are you always getting your hands wet with work?

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I have had bad experiences showing such small wounds to doctors. They just don't take them seriously.
    Sure I'll eventually go to see a doctor if necessary, but I have given myself a week to try out some home remedies first.
    Also, talking about these things helps, as I know better what to ask the doctor or what to tell him.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The only really fat thing I eat is butter. Occasionally some nuts and sunflower oil.
    I don't eat meat or eggs, and grains and vegetables don't contain much fat. But I do drink milk.

I apply a greasy handcream several times a day, but my skin still gets dry quickly.

No, I live in an area with a medium wet continental climate, but I am indoors most of the time.

For working with chemicals (detergents) and for washing the dishes, I use latex gloves.

14. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

have you tried corn huskers lotion? It has a lot of Glycerin in it and absorbs real quick.. doesn't leave your hands all greasy

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Thank you for the suggestion, I haven't thought of that.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

you might want to try Neosporin and a bandaid.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've heard that stuff works. I've tried it but its like rubbing glue on your hands. It didn't leave my hands greasy, it left them sticky.

How about Bag Balm? Its what is put on cow udders since they are exposed to a lot of harsh weather.

19. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

I used to buy bag balm! It works and it doesn't burn.

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Well, I'm in Europe. So I will have to find the equivalents available here.

21. tuberculatious Banned Banned

The only proven solution to cracks in the skin is the application of the saliva of male rodents to the area with cracks in the skin.

22. tuberculatious Banned Banned

Female rodent saliva doesn't work.

23. draqon Banned Banned

it might be fungus, try using Lotrimin on it.