Craftsman Tools

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My husband was making his list for Christmas and this was at the top of it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think he may get it. I like the lighted drawers, roll out work surface, and locking system. So I was wondering, would it be a cool gift or is it just over the top gimmick?

Those gold plated monogrammed tools on the other hand, no.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

which has better tools? Craftsman or Snap-On? Is it a design thing or a quality of the metal thing?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actually Snap On is by far a better tool IMHO. They too give you a free replacement if a tool ever breaks.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My husband says the same thing. His tools are Snap-Ons.
    I myself like this chest. Which Sears also sells. Reminds me of my Dad's.

9. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I agree that Snap On are still the best. But Craftsman tools are still quite good. As are Mac. And all three still have a lifetime guarantee to the best of my knowledge. The downside with Craftsman is that you have to take it to the store for a replacement; Mac and Snap On have the tool trucks that come to your shop. Not really relevant if you are not a professional using your tools to make a living, but it's an important difference if you are.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I find that many carpenters use Craftsman tools but automotive, mechanical and any other type of heavy duty mechanic use either Snap On or Mac . I like the way they are made and how they felt in my hands.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Craftsman can't hold a candle to Snap On when it comes to quality, but Craftsman is much cheaper, they both have full lifetime warrantees and Craftman will do the job for most projects for the average home, well... Craftsman.

I recently got a small Kobalt set, but haven't had much time to use them yet.
    Cheaper than Craftsman, and also with a lifetime warrantee - they should be fine for around the house projects - but it has the be the worst box I ever got with any set.

The Home Depot by me has a nice toolbox with a built in mini fridge and integrated stereo system.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think my husband like Snap-On mostly because they come to his work and they have a contract with his employer. He gets a nice discount and they take it out of his check. And they have a greater variety of tools, some geared specifically for his line of work, which isn't automotive.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Holy Crap! Do you have a link to that? Mini-fridge? He might like that more.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

All I ever see in the shops of places I have worked at are snap-on tools.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

https://www.kobalttools.com
    Click on Product Catalog
    Click on Tool Storage
    Slide over to the 53" Stainless Steel Tool Chest (model LWTB08-5319D)

I think it was about $1,600

Like I said, the plastic box my Kobalt tools came in is the worst piece of shit box I have ever had, but it was the free plastic box they came with, so that's a different thing.
    I can't vouch for this, but it is Stainless Steel and when I checked it out it seemed to be a respectable quality.
    I'm sure you can find independent reviews online from people who have one.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I know I want one.
    My wife knows I want one too.

18. superstring01 Moderator

There is absolutely no comparison, Orly. It's like asking if a Lexus is better than a Hyundai. Snap-On [and another company called Matko] are the two best tool makers in North America.

Don't get me wrong, My dad and I only use Craftsman tools: they are reasonably priced and they are guaranteed. Matko and Snap-On, however, are a cut above the rest.

But, with the quality comes the price. A single rachet wrench from Snap-On or Matko will cost you several hundred dollars, where a Craftsman socket wrench might cost you thirty.

~String

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What does he do?