Creation of a Mediation fora

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Quantum Quack, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

To help facilitate better thread content, allow moderators an easy solution to off topic, content and improve public viewing of content as guests prior to registration, I would like to suggest the following:
    in bullet points:
    • That a sub fora be established that is for general member viewing only.
    • This fora category could be called "Mediation Forum".
    • That each moderator creates his/her own thread for posts that he/she has moved.
    • That a moderator when confronted with off topic posts or posts that are significantly inflammatory can move said posts to the mediation forum.
    • Where upon it is incumbent upon the poster to provide reason for the post to be reinstated
    • The moderator does not need to justify his actions, however the poster must show reason for the post to be allowed.
    • If a certain number of posts have had to be moved then the poster faces a suspension of a given time period etc...
    • If no reason for reinstatement [eg. issue ignored by poster] is given with in a specified time period [say 1 month] the post is automatically deleted.
    The main reason for the above suggestion is
    • to minimize mod time investment in troublesome posts.
    • to improve the quality of threads content
    • to improve the reading available to members and public being attracted to sciforums.
    • to allows threads to stand chance of achieving worth while outcomes.
    • to allows consistency and due process to be invoked by the moderators alleviating them of unnecessary consideration.
    • to place member discussions with moderators out of the public arena
    • to further prioritize the board's content to being more appropriate for members and browsing public alike.
    I do not think I need to show an example of how threads can be filled with numerous posts that are seriously irrelevant to the topic at hand. Personal slanging matches for example could then be neutralized with out offending any one, quickly and with out too much consideration by the moderator. [who is following forum mod guidelines]

What do you think?
    Are there other criteria or rules that would aid in the objectives?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lakon Valued Senior Member

What do you think?

Certainly, and I'll say it more bluntly than you did above, there is an extraordinary amount of trolling, false flags, etc, going on here recently. Both in science related fora and also in religion related ones, particulary with 'atheist vs. theist'.

I have no comment on what the solution is. In the least, I think the mods need to be ar more diligent - although I would hate to be one in such circumstances. Imagine all the time .. the angst ..

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I just believe that the Moderators have to be empowered to moderate and do so with the least amount of fuss and time investment.
    If a legitimate post is moved then it is incumbent upon the poster to provide proper reason for it to be reinstalled. It is not the moderators responsibility to "Guess". By minimizing the guess work the moderator is not as "enmeshed" perhaps.
    By moving them to a mediation fora the poster is not unduly offended as all this move is saying is essentially "please explain".
    In practice, I have found that this system after a short time in operation improves member participation, public appeal and generates more registrations of quality members. Less angst is generated and mutual respect is nurtured thus improving the "health" of all members. [over time]
    By keeping the mediation fora "member" only avoids the foras "dirty laundry" so to speak, being exposed for viewing by the general public.[who would not necessarily understand what is going on]

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.