Creationism does NOT belong in science.

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Zero, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

harrykarry,

Let me talk some senses into you.

First of all look at the bigger picture. People debate on internet because it is fun in their own way. No one can really convince another person, and no one would admit defeat.

With that being said, if you don't want to apply any logic, reason, and critical thinking, what exactly are you in here for?

You can learn a lot of things from other people here, but if you want to learn a fact, trueth, or whatever you call it, you are in the wrong place. You are better off in a library.

You need to come up with a different name. harrykarry is ridiculously. People won't take you seriously no matter you are male or female. Harry Karry is a dead old alcoholic fool. At least he appears to be. Contact the administrator to change your name to something else.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

is the zenia princess warrior icon taken yet? i also like carol burnett, calamity jane, huck fin, and anything with flowers. maybe i need a icon with some kind of tatoo or dildo. i'll have to think long and hard about this. probably settle for a harry dildo.

have a great evening!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

Let me talk some senses into you.

ahhh, i think i already have too many senses. i'm only here because it's a safe place to contain myself (if you know what i mean).

and do i really want you to take me seriously?

i think not.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Got out of harry karry posts....

...it's a safe place to contain myself ...with...long and hard ...dildo...

...(if you know what i mean)...

Now I know....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Is not that fun....

8. Zero Banned Banned

Is creationism true? OF COURSE, it is the absolute truth, no one can disprove it. I did not say that it was not a truth. I said it was.

No one can disprove it, therefore it does not belong in the science classroom. For someything to be scientific, it must be vulnerable to physical evidence that suggests otherwise. Read up on Karl Popper's phiolosophical works if you wish to rise up out of your current state and be enlightened.

Am I god? Welcome to sciforums, harrykarry. Such attacks will do nothing but earn you a cold, amused but somewhat sympathetic silence from the sciforum gurus. WNDWAA. (surely you know what THAT means?)

I am only staunchly against teachign creationism in SCIENCE classrooms. Why? It is unscientific, that's why. IT can not be disproved (how do you disprove the notion of a god?), therfore it is not scientific. There is another name for such "truth", it is called "religion".

And frankly, I hope you have heard of the separation of church and state. Teaching stuff about your religion, and the whole creationism effort threatens that separation.

All views deserve respect, but under only one condition. The view must not threaten or discriminate against any particuluar people. Creationism claims that the christian viewpoint is the only correct one. If it doesn't register in your brain, I'll tell you that freedom is also restricted under the condition that one does NOT threaten or reduce any other person's freedom.

I'm sure other people have more to say. Xev, any thoughts? (one of the few intelligent and rational people in these forums)

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I guess this is what you would expect in a site where "sciforums" is the title. However, I did state My opinions and not some pack's idea. If it seemed that way, it was coincidence of the moment. Nor was it meant to be smug but rather a statement of how I feel. If it came across that way, then my apologies for not being clearer.

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

harry:

"what i "observed" were a lot of evolutionists patting each other on the back. "

First off, we are not "evolutionists" any more than physicists are "relativityists" or "Newton's second lawists". Evolution is proven scientific theory, and as scientists, we subscribe to it.

"i observe that if i place myself in the underdog position (yes, i'm a german and yes my ancestry did get killed in the same consentration camps for helping the jews, but that's besides the point) then people get very offended and i'm not sure why? did i somehow play the race card unfairly? and i don't think i'm the only one generalizing the other "side" here."

It is not your placing yourself in the underdog position, but your equating of an anonymous post on a internet forum with an act of heroism.

You cheapen the sacrifice that (virtually no Germans did this, don't decieve yourself) certain heroes made when you compare posting against the grain to sacrificing your life.

First, it is not fair to ask us to prove a negative.
    Second, we never claimed that there wasn't, or that such was impossible.

So quit injecting red herrings into the discussion.

"Gaps in knowledge"? What gaps?

One must always balance logic and emotion, yes?

I would advise you not to insult our fathers. It is cowardly, as they are not here to defend themselves, and another red herring.

It is never too late to learn. Try Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World" for an introduction to the scientific method.

This is a good site on critical thinking and skepticism:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~rasmus/skepticism/skeptic.html

As for evolution:

http://www.talkorigins.org/

http://answersinscience.org/

http://www.evolutionhappens.net/

11. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

HK,

Then you've come to the right place.

12. Emfuser Registered Senior Member

We have indeed "found" anti-matter. It is naturally occuring. There are several nuclides that emit positrons (the anti-matter companion to electrons), we've created anti-protons, and even gone so far as to put the two together and make anti-hydrogen.

See, you learn something new every day.

13. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

Wow!!!!!

Someone on sciforum who knows science.... Welcome strange one.

14. Damonmordre Registered Member

I love this I have never posted here before but I figure I will give food for thought in the realm of creationism and push you to think farther than man's natural tendency to known what we don't. Ok first in regards to a "religion" (disgusting word) you have two here that are disputed. If religion shouldn't be exposed in school than science needs to only teach that it should prove theory and nothing else. Creationism and evolution both should be taken from the classroom or both included because they both are part of a religion. I being human have been taught that I must have faith in a big bang theory that offsets natures natural tendency to decay and believe that it will improve. Take humans for example disease gets worse our bodies fall apart as we get older and the only thing that appears to improve is our knowledge. I would have an easier time believeing in a creation that is slowly imploding because of nature's natural tendency toward decay, than to believe that our universe is improving itself by stars collapsing and and colliding with other stars.

See if you want to see religion there is two religions one in creation the other in science there are followers of each separately and followers who attune to both.

It is funny because take creationism and fold it into God creating a race of humans that used 100% of their brain and they decided they didn't want to serve God because they could be Gods themselves. So being intelligent as God appears he decided to limit humans to 10% of their brain so that we could be insecure and be forced to prove our own intelligence or rely on God. Seeing there that God gave us a choice.

If you look at the world and see the differences in our landscapes and other unexplainable issues. One large such unexplainable land formation would be all of South America. It looks like and even scientific evidence suggest that that continent at one time boasted a some 50 million people. Yet in all our knowledge something major and aside from the meteor killing the dinosaurs caused a whole civilization from disappearing. There being no physical evidence it could leave the theory I proposed first as that explanation and God cleared them out.

If you read the beginning of the bible you will notice it took God six days to create earth and man and woman. Then it says that God on the fifth day created Adam and Eve. My last food of thought for you: why create man and woman and then state that you created Adam and Eve.

Yes I am a christian I don't question Gods plans but enjoy entertaining interesting thoughts of what he did and will do. I have experienced his spirit and witnessed unbelievable things. I also enjoy what science does in this life because it explains his simple plan and idea. Solar system is a large model of and Atom

Enjoy and butcher if you like.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

god first created Adam and Lilith , only then Eve, because Lilith didn't like to be pasive in sex with Adam.

16. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Hey, I LOVE it when a girl is nice and aggressive in the sack!

17. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

damon,
    Why do you think religion is a disgusting word?

I'm not following you. What religion is evolution a part of? You just said science should only teach that it should prove theory . Umm that would include evolution. If science is the religion then we shouldn't teach science???

Maybe you are confusing 'science' with 'scientology'

. How is science a religion?

Humans only use 10% of their brain? Show me the evidence of this.

There is no physical evidence because you are talking nonsense.

18. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

hey newby, get ready to be spanked. how dare you say that science is a religion

the fine attenders to this discussion claim the need for "rationale."

they take pride in observing, in evidence, in logic and reason, and of course applying critical thinking.

your observations of god and your logic and reason for interpreting what you know, your means of applying critical thinking.... even your evidence....doesn't count here.

oops... is that part of the religion of science?... "only our shit counts..." gee, imagine a religion being close-minded.

that would be akin to me not being sarcastic!!!!

and why do you think god made man and woman and then adam and eve? is that correct. is that what the bible says? and which version?

19. Damonmordre Registered Member

I personally don't care for the word religion because religion is man's word for putting God in set of rules and guidelines for a creator that first thought us up. That is why I don't like it.

Yes that would be the best term scientology and yes if they want a separation of church and state then science's belief in evolution should be removed from curriculum until it is proven as the absolute truth for how things have come to exist in fairness to those who don't support it. I do like the teaching of how certain things operate. Thank you Fadingcaptain for pointing things out so I could clarify myself. Science isn't a religion but the belief in some of the theories is. That better

Well here is a small answer to the other thing about proof for the 10%. I don't have physical proof but with examples that I have weighed I feel that the human mind has been limited in because we were again made exactly after the image of God and he can see the past, present, and future. He also is not lacking on the learning level we are because he is able to do all math, all variables, and develope the best strategies for correct his misjudgements or his own flaws. We as humans lack in one area but are better in some and I feel that we should be good in all areas such as God. The only thing is our mind is limited because our memory can't be completely used. That is the best I can do because even science is still trying to understand the mind and to give a scientific answer for this when even science hasn't come up with one is just a tad bit difficult

With in regards to the last issue you picked out Fading I ment there is no evidence such as a meteor or graves or anything proving why the 50 million dissappeared. That would be like a 5 Houston cities dissappearing with no bodies or buildings being there anymore.

Well I hope I gave a better explanation for my theories.
    I always invite criticism because it helps refine my thinking
    Thank you Fading

20. Damonmordre Registered Member

This is where is states that Harrykarry
    Genesis Chapter 1
    26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [2] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,
    in the image of God he created him;
    male and female he created them.

Chapter 2
    When the Lord God made the earth and the heavens- 5 and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth [2] and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth [3] and there was no man to work the ground, 6 but streams [4] came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground- 7 the Lord God formed the man [5] from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Why create man twice also Kane found a wife in the land of NOD if God hadn't had two creations then where did his wife come from.

I don't question the Lord but I hear and I see to receive more truth from him.

21. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Damon,
    I see. Thanks for the explanation. I agree that religion is man's word...

How can you prove something as the absolute truth? There are people that still believe the earth is flat..should we remove the notion that the earth is round from school? After all, it isn't fair to the flat earth society...The point is that the theory of evolution is generally accepted in the scientific community as supported by evidence.

Sorry, but that still doesn't work. You said earlier that :
    How does belief in evolution fit this definition? It doesn't because religion is based upon spirituality and belief in a supernatural power.

The reason I asked was because I think this is a myth that is widely regarded as true. There is no evidence to support this and last I checked there aren't any sections of the brain that have no purpose. It seems to me that this is a wive's tale. You are right though in that we really still do not know how the brain works and have alot to learn through science.

If there is no evidence, where did you come by this idea? Did you read it or did someone tell it to you? I would be highly skeptical if there is no shred of evidence to back the claim. That's just me though

Thanks for replying...I enjoy these discussions because it helps me refine my thinking also

22. Zero Banned Banned

Pathetic. You only have 20+ posts and you're calling someone else a newbie.

23. Zero Banned Banned

Lilith??? Who the hell is that?