Creationism does NOT belong in science.

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Zero, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You don't know?!

ok->
    I no longer have the URL of that page, it's copied on my hdd, and I can't remember from where I got the paper.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zero Banned Banned

WTF.. ... ... all this outta the genesis. Cool.

Very interesting. I would rather say that Lilith is the type of woman I would like in a relationship. Assertive, so she has the brains to think for herself. Aggressive, so she constantly send warning signals when I act like a jerk so that the relationship can get patched up more quickly. Independent, so that she can create ideas of her own and discuss with me. A woman like Eve would not be so great to me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

Zero:

Lillith isn't actually in Genesis - not in the Bible. I think she's mentioned in the Babylonain Torah, and other misc. Jewish myths.

Sorry, had to be anal-retentive.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zero Banned Banned

Indeed? And what is anal-retentive?

8. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Anal-Retentive (anal stage of development): The anal stage of motivational development is characterized by the child's central area of bodily concern in the rectum. Bowel movements become a source of pleasure to the child. The child may defecate to receive pleasure. However, gaining pleasure from defecating brings the child into conflict with the parents regarding toilet training. Freud claimed that delays during this stage (or this stage occuring prematurely) can cause fixation. Fixation during the anal stage can result in anal retention in which a person exhibits compulsive cleanliness, ordderliness, or fussiness.

9. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Others say you're 'anal retentive' because you're "full of sh*t" or being a 'tight-ass'.

10. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

actually, i think over 300 posts to this site is closer to pathetic but i love you anyways man!

and since you come from atheism, i'll pray for you.... maybe you could pray for me too as i probably need it more than you do

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i don't necesarrily think you need to mean the words. "god help harrykarry." i think the words themselves might have some power as words of life....

back to the discussion at hand (so i don't get in trouble....)

it comes down to mans' need to sort and separate everything into catagories... it's sad really. why can't it all be taught and it all be lumped together and it all be included then let the lost children of the earth decide for themselves.... scientists would rather burn the bible then include it in the discussion... it smacks of shit... again.

11. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

harry,

Scientists have no more reason to include the bible in science process than they have to include the National Enquirer or the World Weekly News.

12. Warren Registered Senior Member

Here's a little scenario for everyone to ponder. A scientist suspects that non-intelligent processes may be insufficient to produce biological complexity. He wishes to follow-up his suspicion with an investigation using the scientific method. Two questions: Is he a creationist? Can what he is doing be called science?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2002
  13. teerum Registered Senior Member

huh? clearly they are directly connected......more...Friday

14. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

zero:
    Zero, what the hell is up with your shit talk. YOU ARE BETTER CAUSE YOUVE BEEN HERE LONGER! ROCKING, now shutup please.

And these religious folk say that evolutionist theory is a religion because its belief that energy is eternal (it can't be created or destroyed, yet its here, right?).

I agree it (evolutions) has its flaw, but to say the earth is 6000 years old is a bit rediculous.

And to teach that in the schools is ever more rediculous.

I have seen Dr. Kent hovind (creationist speak), and the worst part about it is he makes all these claims that apparently counteract the age of the earth (the moon is getting closer to the earth this much ever year, if we go back 10000 years it would be in the middle of the earth...). All of his statements are easily invalidated if one only speaks to the correct authority. He is the source of all this creationist babble and the idea that it can somehow be TAUGHT in a classroom.

ha ha

15. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

And these religious folk say that evolutionist theory is a religion because its belief that energy is eternal (it can't be created or destroyed, yet its here, right?).

evolutionist theory is based on data right? (wether theorized or proven) the worship of data (with or without physical proof) is a religion. endorsing a belief that the physical; the rocks, the stars, the trees, even man are above god... somehow smarter.... somehow omnipotent in and of themselves, self-created and then mutated over time until intelligence as we know it (jerry springer) slowly emerges.
    yes. evolution is a religion. the fact that evolutionists hide behind data and worship it as their god...is a religion... it's even very narrow minded as religions often are...

i believe that "religious folk" aren't niave enough to believe the world is only 6,000 years old. those "religious folk" are saying data is not god. god is god. god created the energy.

the speaker you are talking about is probably a wacko. giving creationist a bad name.... mix a scientist with a religious zelot and you'll probably get a wacko...throw in the need for attention and a few degrees and he becomes a self-appointed mouthpiece for the extreme... and heaven forbid that a christian speak out against our self-appointed creationist guru....

kindof like any liberal program that wants to emphasize how rediculous christianity is.... show an evangelist with a bad hairdoo...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2002
  16. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

i believe that "religious folk" aren't niave enough to believe the world is only 6,000 years old. those "religious folk" are saying data is not god. god is god. god created the energy.

Well then you have no connection at all with the creationist community. They do indeed say the earth is 6k to 10k years old through biblical dating (using the generations of people listed in the bible).

the speaker you are talking about is probably a wacko. giving creationist a bad name.... mix a scientist with a religious zelot and you'll probably get a wacko...throw in the need for attention and a few degrees and he becomes a self-appointed mouthpiece for the extreme... and heaven forbid that a christian speak out against our self-appointed creationist guru....

Kent hovind...yes he is a wacko perhaps. But he is a leading voice in creationism and the attack on evolution. I wouldn't attack him blindly if I were you because he actually does his research, he comes off sounding a lot more intelligent then you. You have yet to present ANY facts as to why evolution might be false. You are a much bigger wacko in my book.

As for worshipping and hiding behind data, that is just insane propaganda that you heard at your latest church meeting! Who is 'hiding' behind data? Do you even have slightest idea of what science is about? Seriously?

There are plenty of religious scientists in the world, and I have no doubts the huge majority of scientists have entertained the idea of creationism. But how can a scientists take anything like that at face value without any facts at all? The bible is not the be all and end all of answers, and it would be very destructive to society if we treated it as such (remember the dark ages....ya well we would still be there if the world listened to wackos like you).

At least kent hovind understands what science IS, go read a 4th grade intro book on science or something and then come back to argue.

Use fewer ellipses please, its like reading a long pause.

17. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

I hear ya barking big dog.

shit, maybe only you edjumacated folks should be allowed on sciforum.

should anti-religion be taught in the classroom? you've not given me any evidence that evolution is not an anti-religion (and as such, a religion in itself). and your pompous atitude makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. (an instinctual thing that god allowed to be evolved into women way back probably even before eve was wearing fig leaves...)

clearly the six days it took god to create the world and my women's intuition were not days as we know them. i look forward to the paradymn shift when we have the answers (in heaven or hell).

Use fewer insults please, its like being disappointed by a little dick.

18. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

Sorry you don't know what the hell you are talking about. The hairs stand up on my back when I talk to idiots, what can I say.

I am so baffled by your insistance that evolution is a religion as to be left speachless. What is your definition of religion?

Why do you waste your time with the Bible if all you do is twist the meanings and words around so much that it comes out to have real meaning only in your mind. I respect eki a lot more than you, at least he understands the importance of th book you base your faith, your life, and all your assumptions on science on, has to be TRUTH at all times, or else you are just spinning your wheels.
    (Either take the thing figuratively or take it literally. But if you take it figuratively don't try to apply meaning to every word and phrase, it makes you sound like a desperate moron).

If you believe that education teaches a person to treat things with logic and common sense then yes I agree with you. I however, believe education is mearly a means to get access to good material, no one can teach you to think. That is your problem, thinking.

As far as evolution being a religion I really don't know what you want me to explain to you. That it is a theory based on observations of the world and scientific data collected for almost 200 years now? That it is continually growing, changing and expanding to fit in line with REAL data (something RELIGION can never do, unless of course your name is harrykarry and you change your religion and your creed to fit the day of the week. "no i swear a day means 50 million years").
    Perhaps if you explain HOW it is a religion, I will understand your feeble attempts to debase it, and then I can reply in kind.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2002
  19. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

I speak outside what is recognized as the border between "reason" and "insanity".

get outta here. you believe only what you can see.

jesus spoke in parables because of such fools.

20. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

So thats your response? You quote my sig that has nothing to do with the discussion and then try and slam my intelligence and 'open mindedness' with absolutely no substance to back it up. This was after slyly sending me to 'hell' in your previous post. This is so good. Now I know what the thread starters were talking about when they said discussing creationsm is so much fun.

lol!

Lets try one last time to get something of substance out of you, I'm finding this very entertaining.

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

So now it comes out. You see what was meant in the begininng of the thread that when theists get started it is a quick trip from there into faith.

The thing you do not hear is why creationism and here is fact to support it. What you will hear is attack at evolution because there is precious little that can be offered for creationism. There are two ways to formulate an arguement or debate. One is to present facts to support the issue. Very little of this will be done simply because there is precious little that can be offered to substantiate it. The other is to attack the validity of the concept. Which is where defenders of creationism are forced to go being as they can not pull out facts short of the bible that support it. Science can go to multiple places to support the facts. The only reason that creationism is taught in school is that you have successful policital lobbying which is a far cry from proof...

22. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

Now everyone knows my penis is small, what am i to do

23. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

harrykarry,
    From Is evolution just another religion?:
    "....as a metaphysic, evolutionary theory is fairly poverty-stricken. This is what should be true of a scientific theory; for the number of conclusions beyond the empirical evidence that can be conjectured is unlimited. Any theory that committed itself to a metaphysical conclusion as a logical inference would be almost certainly false."