Creationist defends bible and attacks straw man version of evolution

Discussion in 'Religion' started by SetiAlpha6, Mar 19, 2020.

1. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

So looks like Peer Review does equal Peer Pressure.

And the education system is also, as well, a kind of Scientific religious indoctrination system.

I thought so, but thank you all so much for confirming these things!

candy likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Interesting that you refer to a "religious indoctrination system" as a bad thing. Couldn't agree with you more.

Of course, there is evidence that the education system has failed some people while the religious indoctrination system succeeded them.

Thanks for confirming that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Carl Sagan wasn't the one who posted a blunder here.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. foghorn Valued Senior Member

So, you accept that God didn't make the Earth at the same time he made the Heavens.
    The stars and supernova had to produce the heavy elements first before they were seeded to space to form nebula, from which the solar system formed.
    And, where is that Bible quote containing the words ''Star dust''?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, my argument is with your fairy tale stories. The accretion disk or star dust from whence the Sun ignited and the solar system formed was denser towards the center and less dense out towards the edges. This is why the terrestrial planets like Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars are closer towards the Sun then the gaseous giants further out, and the icy giants even further out. The stardust/dirt was my own reasoning.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Wishful thinking may enforce your own personal myths, but they do not register on the scale of sensibilities.
    The peer review system is simply a standard methodology applied to scientific papers to ensure correctness, and conclusive results as best as possible.
    And of course any education system based on the scientific methodology, is logically far more desirable then religious indoctrination, based on an obscure book, written by obscure men, from an obscure age.

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I want to share my cake and eat it to. That way I can avoid people who don't like the way I bake my cake....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

Carl Sagan is dead, and any blunders are mine.

Thanks Q!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SetiAlpha6:

You assert that no series of chemical reactions could produce life. How did you establish that?

"Unlikely" - even "very unlikely" - is not the same as "impossible".

Tell me how you arrived at "impossible".

Again with the "impossible". How did you establish this?

And while we're at it, your alternative is the sky daddy hypothesis, right? So, tell me what positive evidence you have that God Did It. You don't get your God by default. Even if, by some miracle, you could show that chemical abiogenesis is impossible, how does that get you any closer to establishing the existence of the Divine Creator you believe in?

These sorts of lies really don't help you make your case. Is lying what they teach you to do in your church?

Yes, that's the truth. And so...?

Sure, you can come up with excuses after the fact as to what you interpret the bible to mean. Then you can say things like this:
    It invites the obvious question, though: what makes you so confident that your interpretation of the bible is the correct one?

It also invites another question: why did your Almighty God communicate his Message to his Creation so poorly? Why did he say "dirt" or "dust" when he meant "stardust" or - better - atoms? Why didn't he talk about atoms in His Holy Bible?

In short, why didn't God communicate clearly enough so that we aren't forced to struggle to interpret what the meaning might be? Why didn't he set it all out clearly and unambiguously?

Would an obvious answer to this conundrum be that the bible is a human construct, not a divine book dictated by God?

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  13. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

It seems to me like Frankenstein would have a better chance of bringing his Monster to life, than Abiogenesis would ever have, with random chemicals and lightning, by accident.

Frankenstein would be easier for me to believe in by far!

But, I also believe that you should be free to believe in your magical “Prebiotic Soup” if you wish to, even though there is no evidence for it whatsoever.

That is completely fine, as long as you keep your beliefs to yourself and don’t hurt the people who disagree with you.

Atheists have already imprisoned and killed too many as it is.

And Theists have imprisoned and killed far too many as well.

Seems like we just tend to kill each other no matter what we believe in.

Even now, we are using the most sophisticated scientific technology we can to build even faster delivery vehicles for our Nuclear weapons.

Just think, very soon we will be able to destroy every living human on Earth in just a few minutes.

Aren’t we special!

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You're just guessing, though, aren't you?

Not sure what you're talking about. There's evidence that points to the likely composition of the atmosphere in the first billion years or so after the Earth formed.

Have atheists imprisoned and killed people in the name of atheism?

I haven't heard of many atheists heading off on crusades shouting "Not-God is on our side!"

Kristoffer likes this.
  15. billvon Valued Senior Member

It is indeed very unlikely. You'd need millions and millions of years to get even a very simple self-replicating molecule.

Fortunately life had millions and millions of years to get that single self-replicating molecule. Life had at LEAST 400 million years to begin.
    Haven't heard of any atheist crusades or inquisitions.
    We could definitely do that. (So could the natural world.)