Crossbows

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Avatar, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Avatar, you might want to check out:

museumreplicas.com

The sell battle ready weapons,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Greek Spearhead was the integral part of the principal weapon of the Hoplite- a heavily armed foot soldier whose principal weapon was “the long shadowed spear.” It was a weapon that varied in length from 6 to 18 feet, and could be used both as spear and pike. Shorter versions were used as throwing weapons. The earlier versions were made of bronze, but iron, once it was available, became the material of choice for the Greek spearhead. Made by Windlass Steelcrafts®. Overall-16" Blade-11" long, 23/4" wide Wt.-1 lbs. 4 oz.
    $45.00

With the size of the spear head it can be used a a short sword or attached to your boa, and used it as a spear.

Although we do not know the exact form and shape of the Viking hewing spear, we do know that they were used. This is a spear that would thrust effectively, and yet have the power to cut decisively. High carbon steel blade. Slim and attractive, it is just a spear to carry on your next medieval outing. Pole not included with hewing spear. Made by Windlass Steelcrafts. #600444…Reg. $45…Catalog Special $39 Overall-25" Blade-16" long, 2 1⁄4" wide

$39.00

One of the more deadly weapons used by the Vikings was the halberd, or bill as it was sometimes referred to. It is generally agreed that the actual viking term was -mail piercer. Sadly there are none known to exist, so this reconstruction is based on details of the various sagas, and on a few axes that are known to have blades "like a halberd". This weapon was a favorite of Gunnar of Hlidesrend, Throlf Skallagrimson, Egil Skallagrimson, and many other Viking warriors. In one battle Thorolf loses his temper, takes his halberd in both hands, and starts cutting down the enemy. He fights his way to the standard, cuts down the standard bearer, cuts the standard pole in half, then stabs the Earl through the body, lifts him up by the blade, and jams the staff into the ground so that the Earl dies for all to see. Made by Windlass Steelcrafts® from high carbon steel. This is a must for any of those interested in the viking warriors of the North.
    $120.00

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The idea is that you use it in combination with kicks and everything else, allowing you to keep your opponent at a distance, at least for a few seconds. And it sounds exactly like small-caliber gunfire.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Archie Registered Senior Member

Avatar, is it any easier to get a permit for a carbine or short rifle than for a pistol?

If you're considering carrying a crossbow, surely a pistol caliber carbine - or even a small bolt action rifle (like the CZ) in 7.62x39mm would be no less convenient. I would feel much more secure around wild boars with a carbine than a crossbow or atlatl. But then I'm a rifle sort of guy.

Otherwise, I'd go with the boar spear with the cross bar so Mr. Pig can't crawl up the shaft and get you. I would combine that with my walking staff.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Even harder - you have to be a registered hunter.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Interesting. In the U.S. our constitutional "right to bear arms" has been consistently interpreted to mean guns that could be useful in combat without actually giving us the ability to hold back a despotic government. Rifles and semiautomatic rifles, but not fully automatic rifles and not rocket launchers. The government's position on handguns is that they're not terribly useful in combat but they're very useful in crime and also in escalating a domestic quarrel into a murder of passion. So you generally need a license for a handgun but not a hunting rifle--although you may be denied that if you're a convicted felon or insane. Shotguns are also not highly regulated just because they're not very useful as offensive weapons.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Because of these regulations even criminals often have home-made firearms. There are some very praised weapons smiths in the criminal circles here, who make even automatic firearms from scratch.
    Then a lot of illegal weapons are said to come in from Russia.

What this has done is that there are no problems for big/serious criminals to have a gun, but it's harder for the mobsters and small time freaks on the street to get one, they basically don't have those.

Anyways, I'm still considering a firearm, maybe a Ruger revolver. I have a year 1912 small caliber Winchester, but it's registered on my father, a gift from grandfather.

I still think a crossbow would be fun, but I'll probably get a spear made.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

I used to shoot a 4" .38 Ruger revolver. Very pointable, manageable recoil, accepts a .357 magnum cartridge, so versatile.

For your purposes though, a 2" hammerless .357 would be great. Compact, easy to draw, and enough to stop a rabid dog.

Taurus stuff is cheaper, if available to you, and they make a .410 5rnd shotshell pistol, that would also suit your requirements.

I guess you need to go pick a few up and have a play.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Such devices need a licence too. Besides try directing a beam perfectly in the eyes of a charging boar.

hahahahahaha

13. Myles Registered Senior Member

How can it be said to fly in a straight line if it's losing altitude. Besides, I think you will find that the bolt describes an arc just like a bullet from a rifle.

14. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Scientific American did an article on the physics of the crossbow many years ago (1985).

I remember reading it because I was using a bow at the time. It specifically described the difference in trajectory path as being straight from release to the target in that the bolt does not rise in an arc like an arrow that must be compensated for. But no, its not a straight line like you would draw with a ruler.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  15. phlogistician Banned Banned

It just depends on the range. Archers often shot volleys, whereas crossbows were never really used as long range weapons, so fired 'point blank' (and I mean the strict, not corrupted definition), hence no volleys.

At short range, or shooting downhill, the arrow has no need to rise.

16. Myles Registered Senior Member

I was kidding about the straight line but I am interested in what you say about the bolt. A rifle bullet, as you know, travels in an arc, so I am at a loss to understand why a bolt does not.

The recoil from a rifle tends to lift the barrel above the horizontal which could explain the arc. But a bolt pointed straight at the centre of a target would not not hit it owing to the downward force of gravity. This suggests that the crossbow must be aimed at a point above the centre of the target. thus causing it to describe an arc.

I would love to read the explanation you saw in SA but , in any event, I shall do a bit of research, as I am intrigued

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

If you fired a rifle held exactly parallel to the earth, and there was no recoil, the bullet would not rise in its trajectory path but would lose altitude gradually towards the target.

Same with a crossbow.

An arrow from a bow however, even if released exactly parallel to the earth will rise slightly in altitude before falling, and this has to be compensated for by the archer.

The SciAm article had two pictures describing the difference, and also had a technical explanation for a bow's weird mechanics in this regard, but I cant remember what it was.

18. Myles Registered Senior Member

Well, if it rises and falls it describes an arc, albeit a shallow one.

19. Myles Registered Senior Member

Hi, I have just come across the following on a BBC site. You can find it if you google "longbow trajectory"

" The stock of a crossbow was slightly angled upwards to compensate.....
    If it was aimed in a flat trajectory at a man's head it would hit him no lower than the chin"

You must have misunderstood what you read in SA

20. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

for self defense against animals, why don't you just get a shotgun?

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Bekauz I'm not in ze Amerika. Yū trai buyz a šotgun hīr.

22. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

oo... right = )

23. Carcano Valued Senior Member

That some crossbows may be angled doesnt discount any of what I explained about the article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.