Dalai Lama

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by KungFuKenobi, Nov 2, 2002.

1. KungFuKenobi Registered Member

I just wanted to share an idea from a book I read recently. The book was called "The Art of Happiness" and was about the Dalai Lama.

Anyway, the author of the book was interviewing the Dalai Lama and basically asked him what made him so happy, easygoing, compassionate and friendly towards people from all walks of life that he meets.

The Dalai Lama basically said that he feels that we have all been reincarnated many, many times to the point where anyone you see walking down the street, on a bus, at the store, etc, has, at some point, been a brother, father, son, mother, etc to you.

With this belief, there is no need to be afraid of speaking with a stranger with anything less than total trust and sincerity, and with an open heart.

I'm not saying I buy into this philosphy, but it's a pretty neat take on things.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Makes you really think....

If only I could put that to practice...well, there's always next year.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

The Dalai Lama on Compassion

"At the heart of Buddhist philosophy is the notion of compassion
    for others. It should be noted that the compassion encouraged
    by Mahayana Buddhism is not the usual love one has for friends
    or family. The love being advocated here is the kind one can have
    even for another who has done one harm. Developing a kind
    heart does not always involve any of the sentimental religiosity
    normally associated with it. It is not just for people who believe
    in religions; it is for everyone who considers himself or herself to
    be a member of the human family, and thus sees things in
    accordingly large terms."

Source:
    HH The Dalai Lama

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. incendiary Registered Senior Member

It's funny because that is a totaly faulty statement from the leader of the enlightened religion. Go into a big city ghetto looking for your long lost brother and your dead. Even just your normal crazy people who you would "trust" would throw you in a well and make you put lotion on your skin or get the hose again.

I never knew why some one who see's material things as useless has so much high costing merchandise.

8. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

I am not sure what you mean. Can you clarify it a little more?

9. spookz Banned Banned

bah
    more double speak

what is he trying to tell us here? that strangers do not deserve love? you gotta be family to be accepted?

the guy is a politician and is giggly all the time cos of all the ganja he smokes

10. incendiary Registered Senior Member

There is one soul like thing that is the leader of buddhists. He is found in his newly reincarnated body and then is the Dalai Lama.

Buddhism is against the seeking of material wealth and possesions. (like wanting a big screen and all that stuff) They think the seaking of these things leads to discontent and unhappyness, which is pretty much true.

So why the leader of this anti-wealth religion has so much merchandise like books, calenders, and posters is confusing. On top of that the books by him that i've seen are like 70 pages and $17.

seems werid, but it could be going to help all those munks in Tibet?
    If so doesn't it seem to be working.

11. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

incendiary: Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.

12. incendiary Registered Senior Member

your welcome

13. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

Actually its only the attachment to material things that causes suffering, wanting, getting, more wanting, more getting.
    The things themselves have no valence.
    Seeking something material for the benefit it will give doesnt necessarily entail a destructive attachment to that thing.
    GOD I WANT A GEFORCE 4 SO BAD I CAN TASTE IT! WAHHHH!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. axonio98 Banned Banned

As a sea level person, accustomated to a lot of oxigen, i can't accept the poor oxigen Dalai Lama's religion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

Actually the Dalai Lama (or "Big D" as he is known in Vegas) has a very good and legitimate use for this money. Once or twice a year he and his retinue charter a couple of 747's to Las Vegas for a fun filled month or two of hookers, alcohol, gambling, cuban cigar smoking and drug bingeing (didnt you ever wonder what put that smile on his face?). The highlight of the holiday is always the naked karoke orgy (or in tibetan the "Long Dong Songka"). Word is that the "Big D" does a hell of an Elvis if hes not too stoned to stand.

16. airdog prehensile Registered Senior Member

I would take the Dalai Lama more seriously if he would give that pretentious gasbag Richard Gere a good smackdown!

17. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

This, of course, also means every person you meet on a bus, at the store, etc, has, at some point, been your enemy, killer, rapist, thief... And now we're back at square one. :bugeye:

18. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Since they are all your family wouldn't you still love and forgive them?

19. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Would YOU?

20. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

If I was strong enough to do so. Holding on to resentment only holds you back.

21. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

And what if the person you forgive kills you?

22. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

If that Dalai Lama is right then it doesn't matter because next time he will give birth to you.

23. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

IF the Dalai lama is right. I don't take that chance. People earn my trust. But I aint a cold hearted jerk either. I give many opportunities to show me that they're trust-worthy.