dead 3 year old hp

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sculptor, Dec 26, 2020.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

ok
    so the 2017 HP laptop died
    and I'm gonna replace it with a desktop computer
    maybe, this one
    HP - Pavilion Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 4700G - 16GB ddr4 ram - 512GB SSD
    running 2 monitors

Any advice will be appreciated!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

jeez guys
    one simple little question
    and..............................

ok
    an alternate path
    What kind of computer are you using?
    and
    Why?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

An HP laptop. The specs aren’t really too important since I mainly spend my days logging into VMs or SSH sessions and writing code.
    I like mine primarily because it’s compatible with a docking station with outputs for multiple monitors.

For anyone that has the same sort of needs, I’d recommend shopping from HPs business class models.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Unless there’s physical damage (ie - fell in the ocean, caught fire, shot out of a cannon), your laptop is probably not dead. Take it to someone who can repair it.

sculptor likes this.
  8. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Up until recently, a HP Pavilion desktop which was 7+ years old. Just recently replaced it with an HP Omen (AMD RYZEN 7 processor and Geforce RTX 2060 GPU). However unless you do gaming or 3D modeling, this is likely overkill for you.

sculptor likes this.
  9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I stay away from HP products as they tend to not last very long. Dell products seem to last longer as far as laptops are concerned. This year, I built my own PC, it was easy, cost effective and should not require upgrades for some time. Most PC stores have online build menus that often start with the Processor and provides lists of parts all compatible with it so you can't make mistakes. The rest was plug and play.

sculptor likes this.
  10. JohnSoto Registered Member

What brand do oyu prefer? And what functions do you need?

11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I have an ACER desktop. I bought it new for less than 400 dollars. I don't do gaming and desktops seem to be more reliable and cheaper than equivalent laptops. I already had a monitor and printer so that price was just for the desktop.

I have a Chromebook coming on Friday. It's not to replace my desktop but just to have something I can use to watch videos in another room. I never use my living room anymore and it's the largest room in my house so that's why I'm getting the Chromebook. This one is a refurbished unit that is only 350 dollars (why can't we use the dollar sign on this site without the formatting going crazy?). A new one is about 550 dollars (refurbished is like new however).

Regarding your purchase...I think it makes financial sense to get a desktop. Beyond that it's just a matter of how much you want to pay and what you are going to use it for. I don't like to go overboard with the price anymore since it's not necessary and they become functionally obsolete (usually) before they actually wear out.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

My first reaction to the title was :
    "Why are we talking about dead 3-year-olds? Ew."

Then I saw the 'HP' and thought:
    "Ah. No. Someone has a dead 3HP outboard."

Either way, I was in. Alas, 'twas more mundane than either.

H0nest truth.

sculptor likes this.