Dead space.. Freaky shit..

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Challenger78, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's best to watch the Animated Film prior to actually playing the game to get an idea about the back story. As for the gameplay, well there are places will reach for a walkthrough and there are a few cheats that people can use to get around some of the main problems (Like the lack of Oxygen) which doesn't effect XBOX360 achievements.

You can of course play it fair and square, although achievement whores will sleep with anyone to boost their points.

The gameplay itself utilises the insides of a large spaceship that has succumb to some malfunctions and you are there with some other people on a maintenance vessel responding to a distress call. The maps (Levels) themselves are re-utilised to increase the game depth (Similar to how Dues Ex managed to use their maps) Most of the time you are wondering dark rooms and corridors with eerie music that lures you into the belief that something is about to jump out and then you might have a vent fall down or hear a clunking of a spanner. It's all meant to fringe your nerves and have you shooting at any flicker in the shadows.

The game itself is a 1 Player and if you want to whore on the XBOX360 achievements it will require a number of playthrough's to max out. It's suggested that "Medium" play level on this game is actually harder than Easy or Hard because there is less ammo.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

They should have placed that anime movie on the game disk

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

For a child's game it's pretty decent. What I mean by child's game is that the game heavily relies on visuals (which are good) to pull people to it. The creatures are well done, the gore and blood is simply over the top, and the ship and graphics in general are well executed. The visuals and gore is incredibly contrived and seems to be aimed at the retarded gamer. For example, anything will cause a limb to come off. If you're low on health, a creature can wave his slashy appendage at you and off comes your limb, or disconnected becomes your torso from your lower body. Also, at one point if a part of the ship gets hit with an asteroid (it doesn't even get near you), your limbs come off instantly and inexplicably. Also, if you run out of oxygen, your limbs come off. Not just that, but you see the bones underneath and the blood is spurting out sideways at high velocity regardless of gravity. It's ultra cheesy, and I've found myself laughing quite a bit.

The actual gameplay and controls is mediocre and shitty. The game seems to run at a crappy framerate, regardless of quality settings (I've messed with them a bit). It feels real clumsy. In most games like Quake 3 and Half-Life 2, the game responds to slight mouse movements--this one does not. You have to move it a lot to move, but not too much, or else you'll move too far. It just feels clumsy as hell. The good thing about the game is that it's fun blowing the limbs off of the creatures, and the weapons are different have are each useful in their own way. There's a right way to do it and there's a wrong way to do it, and by learning how to kill, you're rewarded. The game would have been pretty sweet if the controls were smoother, faster and more precise though. Had some good things about it, and some good ideas, but it was shoddily executed.

I'd say overall, it's an okay game and pretty decent for a retard genre game.

8. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Lol, lucky for me I wasn't seeking to become more educated about the world in a video game like francois and found it to be a very fun game.
    Sucks you had such a problem on your PC with it...played on a PS3 and it was great.
    Got a 120 hz 52" LCD and 7.1 surround to play this bad boy on.
    G/f couldn't even watch me play it cause it stressed her out too bad, lol.
    Really enjoyed it overall...definitely reckomend it for any FPS fan.
    Give it a solid 8.4/10

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  9. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Definitely would have been appreciated.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Really ?
    Damn. I should switch to easy.
    I've watched bits of the film, but I wasn't a fan of animated films to begin with.

Yeah, The issue I have with it , is that It's a bit too damn scary, even when there are no enemies around.Causing adrenaline rushes are fine, but the constant sound effects and dark lighting/screams/dead bodies get a little overdone.
    The sound effects are all well and good, but really, even in FEAR (which is still scarier IMO), there were breaks in which the soldier could just concentrate on killing bad guys.

11. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

So does the game F.E.A.R. set the bar in anyway for game playing, stand out in anyway or worth giving a shot iyo?

I had just rented Fallout 3 but after a couple hours of gaming I realized that this was a game that I would really have to "get into" and knew that this was a game I would need to buy rather than simply rent if I wanted to give it a serious go.

Traded it for COD 5, World at War...if it's anything like COD 4 it should be a fun ride as well.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

F.E.A.R is an old game, 2005. Yet it still sometimes manages to give me the creeps 5th time round. It's expansion is ok, it's second expansion was not.
    I think it did set the bar for horror thrillers. But I haven't played enough of them to be sure.

13. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, It's definitely scary if you don't have a walkthrough.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I couldn't get into F.E.A.R. I found it extremely buggy. For instance I had an enemy fall through the floor and was shooting me from below the ground, the problem was that the reload of the Checkpoint/Save just put him back below the floor. It's pretty difficult to hide from fire when you've got a wall hacker AI shooting you.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

You would have hated Persaus Mandate then.

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Stryder: I'm playing with the sound down, There are very well done instances where aliens do jump out at you,combined with some good sound/graphics.

18. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

Dead Space was a lot of fun.

FEAR was awesome.

The sequel to FEAR is due out soon and the videos of the gameplay are unreal. I can't wait.

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Not a good shot, but It gives you the idea.

20. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I'm really regretting looking through the walkthrough, I just lost some of the enjoyment of the game.

But I'm too scared to play at night otherwise.

21. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I just watched the movie, it was lame. This thing is GHOSTS OF MARS animated

22. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

I'm still buzzing out on CS 1.6

23. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Just finished it. The attacks on the elevator gave me a great thrill.
    In the end, I had to use a trainer because I kept on running out of ammo. So I just got infiinity credits and bought lots of ammo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.