Deadly shooting at US university

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Ghost_007, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Nickelodeon

The program conducted the search, ask them? maybe it could be that it searched all branches of the dictionary?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

I find that an odd statement. How does Westernization or materialism lead to an increase in mental illness?
    Look, I'm not trying to bash India here but if you think that mental illness and the correlated social and political problems it engenders is a US or Western phenomena you're sorely in denial.

LOL I agree with you here. I even have a couple of hypotheses to explain it.

1. Human beings need problems; we evolved to struggle for survival. When real survival issues are non-existent the mind seeks challenges and if it cannot find them it will begin to manifest problems of its own. We the same behavioral problems with animals kept in cages. When you're busy struggling to feed a family or escape a predator you don't have time for depression or OCD; "No honey, I'm not going to run from that Tiger. I'm just not feeling myself today."

2. General Psychology is not science. The concept of a "normal" psyche is nonsense and the subsequent agenda to normalize the population is absurd and in my opinion dangerous. Of course, being "normal" is what psychology is all about.

According to pop psychology if your child is not able to sit through Ben Stein's reading of War and Peace they have ADD and are in dire need of medication. Last I checked ADD defined what being a child is. Today we have a million children on Ritilin and Prozac so they can sit through class like coma patients and not disturb their parents' valium induced sense of calm when they get home.

~Raithere

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

1. Human beings need problems; we evolved to struggle for survival. When real survival issues are non-existent the mind seeks challenges and if it cannot find them it will begin to manifest problems of its own. We the same behavioral problems with animals kept in cages. When you're busy struggling to feed a family or escape a predator you don't have time for depression or OCD; "No honey, I'm not going to run from that Tiger. I'm just not feeling myself today."

2. General Psychology is not science. The concept of a "normal" psyche is nonsense and the subsequent agenda to normalize the population is absurd and in my opinion dangerous. Of course, being "normal" is what psychology is all about.

According to pop psychology if your child is not able to sit through Ben Stein's reading of War and Peace they have ADD and are in dire need of medication. Last I checked ADD defined what being a child is. Today we have a million children on Ritilin and Prozac so they can sit through class like coma patients and not disturb their parents' valium induced sense of calm when they get home.

~Raithere

Very true, sadly true.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Traditionally Indians lived in a joint family system that provided a strong family support base for individuals with emotional or mental disturbances.

With Westernisation and materialism, this has been replaced in urban areas by dual income nuclear households weakening this support base. In the citie most people look for "modern" solutions to their problems which includes medicating overactive kids and those that are simply too much responsibility in a busy social and work life. Sadly, our society is going the Western way.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Guys, this thread is already 32 pages long, why not start a new one on mental illness and the wonderful Indian system for dealing with it?

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

japan also went the western way sam.
    maybe if your government wasn't so corrupt it would be better.

oh, and thanks for addressing the points i raised here:
    http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1367564&postcount=620

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

11. Roman Banned Banned

Tell me sam, why are you hate us for our freedom?!

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Funny you should mention Japan, they have the highest suicide rate in the world.

No problem.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Being a backward Third World Muslim female with limited education, opportunities and exposure, what else do you expect?

After all everyone has a secret desire to be white and male, and American of course

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Roman Banned Banned

So it's like... sour grapes, but in this case, you want a pair of white, Christian balls?

Tell you what, sam....

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Don't smart mouth me young man or you'll get your ass handed to you on a platter, tied with a ribbon and bow

I am NOT a woman to be toyed with!

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

really?

Highest Suicide Rates in the World
    Rank Country Suicides per 100,000 inhabitants per year
    1 Lithuania 42.0
    2 Russia 37.4
    3 Belarus 35.0
    4 Latvia 34.3
    5 Estonia 33.2
    6 Hungaryk 32.1
    7 Slovenia 30.9
    8 Ukraine 29.4
    9 Kazakhstan 28.7
    10 Finland 24.3
    http://www.aneki.com/suicide.html

still in denial i see.

17. Roman Banned Banned

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

roman is on sams shitlist! HAR HAR HAR. :roflmao:

19. Roman Banned Banned

Hey babe, you can toy with whatever you like. WINK WINK.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't even think you're a woman. So now what?

Baron Max

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm I guess I've been reading all the wrong news sources. I was wrong.

No reason for you to restrain yourself. Go right ahead.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Certainly nothing new about that to me! But thanks for admitting it.

Baron Max

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

right in your backyard sam:

Indian teens have world's highest suicide rate
    The highest suicide rate in the world has been reported among young women in South India by a new study.
    The average suicide rate for young women aged between 15 to 19 living around Vellore in Tamil Nadu was 148 per 100,000. This compares to just 2.1 suicides per 100,000 in the same group in the UK.

The global suicide rate stands at 14.5 deaths per 100,000,
    http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4846

to be fair, (something you should try sam)
    Hungary has world's second highest suicide rate

23 Apr 2007
    bbj.hu
    A study has found that Korea's suicide rate is the highest, while Hungary's suicide rate is the second highest among the 30 member countries of the OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development).

According to an OECD report on Sunday, Korea's suicide rate stands at 24.7 cases per 100,000 people, the highest in the group. Hungary followed with 22.6, then Japan with 20.3 and Belgium with 18.4. The US recorded 10.2 suicides per 100,000, less than half Korea's figure. Korea's suicide rate also grew fastest during the last 25 years, an annual average of 5.01% since 1982.
    http://www.bbj.hu/news/news_25526.html