Death to Apostates (?)

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by James R, Aug 2, 2008.

?

Death to apostates?

1. I am Christian or Jewish. Apostates should be killed.

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. I am Christian or Jewish. Apostates should not be killed.

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. I am Muslim. Apostates should be killed.

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. I am Muslim. Apostates should not be killed.

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. I am a member of some other religion. Apostates from my religion should be killed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am a member of some other religion. Apostates should not be killed.

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  7. I am non-religious. People who become religious should be killed.

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. I am non-religious. People who become religious should not be killed.

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  9. No opinion / don't want to vote / other (explained below)

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I asked you a simple question, SAM. Do you know the answer, or not?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Myles Registered Senior Member

Forgive the intrusion bur I asked SAM the same question a short time ago. Her answer confirmed what I had read elsewhere.

Apostacy is punishable by public beheading, preferably in friont of one's children.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think people are entitled to advocate anything they believe.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Even if it is morally reprehensible?

For example, should someone be entitled to raping and murdering small children?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Or advocating it? North American Man Boy Love Association? Dutch political party for pedophiles?

9. Bells Staff Member

Both of which are morally reprehensible to me personally.

But what do you think? Should people be entitled to advocate something that is so wrong as killing apostates (or advocating the sexual abuse of underage boys)?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You mean if I disagree with people's attitudes, opinions and beliefs, are they still allowed to have them. Sure. Unless they elect me Grand Poo Bah.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

??? Beg pardon? I know there's religious laws for it. But are you insane? This is your answer?

Reprehensible and immature when it comes to murder.

This is beyond reasonability of any kind. I'd assumed DH and Kadark, naturally, but Sam?

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sam is an "advocate" for her belief that the moon was split in two. It certainly is her prerogative to advocate such...

... as she's lead away in a straight jacket.

Sam is an advocate for lying and deceiving, as that is what she was taught to believe...

... and she "advocates" them every chance she gets.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Although there are several hadiths that refer to it, I don't believe it's an islam thing necessarily to use taqquiya. But it's very human to lie. Neither she nor DH have responded to the thread poll. DH I already knew about; Sam's lack of response is disturbing.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yeah, sure, and not getting caught is "divine."

No Geoff, it isn't human to lie.

15. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

What? Do you not advocate freedom, equality?

16. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Why not?

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Not when it comes to the advocation of murder, no; particularly not as such freedom to demand the death of innocents isn't intended as a rhetorical device, but rather carries the full intention of being carried out. Do you consider this a loss to sociality?

18. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Then you don't advocate freedom and equality, and instead need to be more specific. Such as for instance "I advocate freedom and equality only in the scope of acts where nobody gets harmed". Then someone brings up that harming others in self-defense should not be considered criminal, and you think this is a relevant addition.
    So you become more specific, and you say "I advocate freedom and equality only in the scope of acts where nobody gets harmed, except in cases of self-defense where causing harm should not be considered criminal".
    And then someone brings another addition that for the sake of a greater good, harm may be caused and not considered criminal. And you consider this to be a valid addition too.
    And further additions like that.

Until your stance becomes so complex that the shortest way to sum it up is

Death to the apostates.

19. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

And there sums up my opinions of muslims in a nutshell.

20. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

According to the common, secular laws of many countries, what is not prohibited is permitted. If there is no law against something, then that is permitted.

As repugnant as this might sound to some.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a novel notion that people may be allowed to have ideas and opinions that you personally disagree with? Strange, its what is commonly called freedom of expression. Apostates to this belief are currently not considered as worthy of body counts even.

Is it strange that the people who advocate it are the ones who are not "getting" it?

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

This is interesting. Where exactly have I previously espoused an opinion different to the one above? I've never said that absolute freedom of speech is a good idea. Why would anyone allow free speech to the effect of "if you leave our religion, you must be killed"? Free speech has consequences, as it should. Otherwise it's merely babble.

That is absurd. How about, contrarily, "Not death to the apostates". Isn't this a simpler proposition?

And it has consequences. Killing apostates is immoral and wrong - period. I'm sorry if the rule doesn't satisfy you, but unfortunately the construction of the issue is such that not even your "well if they don't like it they can leave" motto will work without their death.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Stranger still, is the "flip-flop" you're doing by promoting free speech now while denouncing it a while back, when you whined about cartoons and films.

Yeah, we "get" it, Sam.