deep state

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by mathman, Jun 19, 2017.

1. mathman Valued Senior Member

Recently the expression "deep state" is often used in discussions about the U.S. government. What does it mean?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

As I understand it, it is a conspiracy theorist's term, expressing the notion that the security agencies are out of control and manipulate the overt politics behind the scenes, subverting democracy, eliminating or sidelining inconvenient individuals and institutions etc. Makes a change from the Illuminati, I suppose, or the Bilderberg Group.

At the moment I would expect it to be in vogue among Trump supporters. The US has a president with obvious contempt for the law and for the avoidance of conflict of interest, a monstrous but fragile ego and a track record as a liar. So, to the outside observer such as myself, it is only to be expected that the various checks and balances of the Constitution will start to operate, to mitigate the effects of such a person.

To the swivel-eyed Trumpie*, however, this would be a sign of malign forces within the state out to get him.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*Step forward Wellwisher?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

wellwisher is gone from this site forever.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Well b*gger me, so he is! He must have been close to the edge for a while, but do you know what was the final straw?

8. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

It was some shit he posted in the Rape culture thread.

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Oh yes, I've now seen it. Well, he won't be a loss.

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

It would seem that wellwisher was but an ephemeral read.

Did Socrates really prefer death to banishment?

11. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

The "derin devlet" (deep state) is borrowed from doxastic political dispositions in Turkey and the Middle East (beliefs ranging from paranoid to potentially substantiated). Elsewhere, like the former Soviet Union, the generic "state within state" will often be the term applied.

It's an idea recruited for strategy, too, of course (defensive defusing / distraction, offensive fear-mongering or generating chaos for advancing agenda, etc).

- - -

12. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

I'm not even going to take a look at that, much less what #### specifically got him whacked. Good advice for anyone to stay away from a thread about rape, or it's also time to depart if it comes up as a side topic. Even if one is on the correct side of the fence and a woman (as if pretending there aren't male rape victims), I've seen the wandering personal developments and vehemence of the exchanges it can provoke still get a poster suddenly blindsided and banned.

- - -